How do you use the Stayputnik?

Choctofliatrio2.0

I dislike the Stayputnik. A lot. I find it basically worthless. It requires heavier control surfaces and extra reaction wheel modules to be controllable, which is expensive and adds weight, which is always a concern in the early game.

The only successful satellite I've made with it was one in my most recent career save. I managed to get it into a Munar flyby, which was pretty cool, but it could hardly transmit any data before running out of power.

So my question is how do you use the Stayputnik in your rockets? Do you use it at all? Do you think it should even exist?

I like that it exists simply because it looks different and is an obvious tribute to the first satellite in space. No, I don't very often use it either, it has been on my early career probes a number of times and occasionally I'll use it for aesthetic purposes but otherwise it's just another part in the list. 

I think the only time I use it is part testing early on, and usually with no or very little fuel for quick cash and rep.

I didn't realise at first it didn't have reaction control and the first few rockets I used with it where uncontrolled. Then I realised the problem and basically never use it now.

I like to put it into mk1 cargo bays, so it's top half is clipped outside. It makes it look aerodynamic, so I can spare a nosecone, while I can comfortably slap stuff on the enclosed underside.

I learned the hard way to always check the stats of probes, so I don't make the mistake of relying on it for reaction control, or electricity storage. I use it as an aerodynamic node-closer + optional control part. It's cheap and light, sometmes these factors matter.

Though I admit, usually compact size and advanced functions matter more, so the Stayputnik rarely sees the daylight.

Edited by Evanitis

I use it for most every "put a satellite into this orbit" missions, when I also want to leave the satellite there to do science for the "do science around this body" missions. When I do, it's a bring-along probe with no fuel of its own, and I just get the main ship in orbit, decouple the stayputnik with some solar panels and the science doodad of choice, and then go off and do the mission with the ship.

But I've not played career for quite a while and so no, I've not really used the Stayputnik a lot lately.

Oh, and it works for automatic payloads to orbit, when you're going to fetch them with something else. Just make sure at least your top stage has gimbal on the rockets.

I use it in earlier game because I play my career with mods. Since I use Remote Tech, life support and much more mods that make the game much harder to use kerbals, the first satellite I put in orbit of Kerbin is usually to have some earlier communication probe and report science when the contract shows up (get science from orbit of Kerbin) I put a temp gauge on it and transmit for that contract. That way I do not need to waste money to build some rocket just to get into orbit and back.

Other then that, not much use. When I build my remote tech grid I move to the other probes.

Edited by Kar

It's useful for three things:

• "test _____ on launchpad" contracts

• if your ship is generating too much electrical power and you need something that's going to consume a little bit of power and not do anything with it

• foundation on which to build ORBITAL DISCO BALL

screenshot725.png

Edited by AbacusWizard

I actually quite like it, can allow for much more interesting craft as far as satalites go, and I personally like to use it as a shell, in which I put reaction wheels, batteries, and usually one or two oscar b fuel tanks, attaching a spark engine to the bottom and making it so that the engine just sticks out the bottom and is the only part you see.

I don't use it anymore, but i still like the Stayputnik. I owe to it two of my biggest early achievements:

My first orbiter, Orbit-1 (I'm not very creative with names...)TFNNLC1.png

And my first Mun lander, the MunPioneer

PveXIPj.png

Those were good times...

But that was in 0.24. I can't imagine myself flying all the way to the Mun without SAS.

I put it on top of the Mk1 pod and execute first kerbal rescue missions. Later I use it sometimes in contract satellites for aesthetic reasons (with MJ controls). It is sad that it has been chosen to be the most primitive pod without SAS and reaction wheels instead of for example boring cube shaped one.

Back in my day ... I used it to establish my first RemoteTech network - now that it has no SAS anymore though ... this does not work as well at all. It is still good for early science collection, although attaching a parachute is tricky/cheaty.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.