The earliest versions of Kerbal Space Program

KasperVld

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since development of Kerbal Space Program began. 5 years ago Felipe started work on a 2.5D game that would eventually grow to the game that we all know and love. It's been quite a ride from the first, careful steps to a full fledged rocketry game that has inspired many people around the world. Those of you who have been around for a long time will know that Kerbal Space Program started out as freeware. Versions 0.7.x up to 0.13.x were free for those brave enough to try them.

Back in 2012 when I was a new member of this community I collected these versions of KSP and uploaded them for others to enjoy. People brought in more versions of the game that had then already seemed lost to eternity. Almost all free versions of the game were eventually brought together and offered for download. After the forum breakage in 2013 @xorg was awesome enough to restore the post and provide new links for all these 'community sourced' old and free versions of KSP, and I'd like to give a him a special mention here for that.

Now it's 2016 (time flies when piloting rockets) and unfortunately the community sourced downloads for these old versions were recently made unavailable1. I wanted to make these versions of Kerbal Space Program available to download again, but using the old files which had not come from Squad directly would not be wise. With the great help of @HarvesteR, @aLeXmOrA and @Chuchito we're now able to once again offer these versions for download, from an official source no less!

It's always been great revisiting the past to play around with a version of KSP from before it had such fancy tools as tank stacking, symmetry mode in the VAB or even a persistent save file. I'd encourage you to give it a try!

As for the legal notice: these builds of Kerbal Space Program are offered "as is" without any warranty and with the express warning that we cannot accept any liability for damages resulting from their use (though, they should work just fine). Install and use at your own risk.

If you're interested in what exactly you'll find the KSP Wiki has an overview of the version history. Download links are below.

Edited by Deddly
Updated the links to point to working downloads from the Wayback machine

On 12/02/2016 at 2:18 AM, Dman979 said:

Wow. This is amazing. 0.7.3 and 1.1.5 are two totally different games. You can really see how it changed.

P.S. Do we get aluminum Kerbals with the downloads, too?

Oh venerable future dude, please, tell me, what wonders await in 1.1.5? More planets? Submarines? -snip- We must know!

I just thought about the same thing in reference to providing old versions to celebrate KSP's 5 years since the first public release (though I didn't join as well till 2012).

My first version being 0.13.2 (which was updated not too long afterwards).

Edited by Bandock

This was a really great thing to do. 

Thank you kasper, and everyone who helped pull it together. 

Just when I finally cracked getting RSS to run on my Mac... Now I am FORCED to partition my drive to run a Windows instance so I can load these jewels. Ack!

What's the rules on redistributing these? I feel like a good backup system would be to create a torrent containing all of them so that if something ever happened to the official source (like Squads servers shut down permanently in the far future) then they'll still be available through a distributed network. I'd rather see an official torrent than a fan made one, but I wanted to check whether that'd even be ok.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 4:43 AM, Bandock said:

I just thought about the same thing in reference to providing old versions to celebrate KSP's 5 years since the first public release (though I didn't join as well till 2012).

My first version being 0.13.2 (which was updated not too long afterwards).

I started on 1.0.3.

I know this has been asked before, But the old pre-release versions are just as wanted nostalgia-wise as the ones you guys uploaded, Im sure that most of us would like to try our hand at 0.1 ;)

If anyone wants a peek at those old gems go here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/99600-the-stages-of-ksp-looking-back-on-our-favorite-game/#comment-1718170

On 2016-02-13 at 7:28 PM, BloodDusk said:

Verisons 0.15 through 0.18 should be added as well. 0.18 being one of the milestones of modding, with things like Kethane, etc.

You are aware that legal, steam and other corporate excrements happened after the versions they released for free (since they've already released them from free).

No matter if they want to let us download the later iterations or not, they would end up in deep legal yoghurt if they did.

• 2 weeks later...
On 21-2-2016 at 0:15 PM, Curveball Anders said:

You are aware that legal, steam and other corporate excrements happened after the versions they released for free (since they've already released them from free).

No matter if they want to let us download the later iterations or not, they would end up in deep legal yoghurt if they did.

Not really, Steam allows multiple versions of a game to be active (Through the beta tab under properties), it is usually used for development builds and stuff, but it can be used for older versions as well. ArmA3 used it to allow the previous stable build to be downloaded through entering a code. (Not sure if that is still the case, but it was at some point). They could also just put them up for download on their own website under your account. I dont have the steam version of KSP and i still download it through my account here, i think they also had the previous version up for download for a while.

EDIT: So not for free, but within the constrains of the currently available distribtion methods is perfectly possible.

Edited by NeMeSiS

1 minute ago, NeMeSiS said:

Not really, Steam allows multiple versions of a game to be active (Through the beta tab under properties), it is usually used for development builds and stuff, but it can be used for older versions as well. ArmA3 used it to allow the previous stable build to be downloaded through entering a code. (Not sure if that is still the case, but it was at some point). They could also just put them up for download on their own under your account. I dont have the steam version of KSP and i still download it through my account here, i think they also had the previous version up for download for a while.

Ah, but there are details.

You aren't allowed to share versions post the first paid for version.

Unless you can prove that the receiver already has a paid for version, which Steam can (kind of).

Squad could of course let the 'middle' versions free but it might be tricky for several reasons, various legal contracts being one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.