The earliest versions of Kerbal Space Program

KasperVld

I started with .25 .... I found the game by accident, and I fell in love almost immediately.

I wanted to create a "Church Of Jeb Kerman" or some such to pay homage to the little green twerp..... but then I found the forums and lurked for ages...

why did I lurk.... I was in awe of everyone and the game..... honestly...

We should start a museum website..... not only for old version, but old mods as well...

Y'know, playing "old" KSP is fine, but adding old mods would be the icing on the cake for some.

I have all the old version STILL and all the old mods STILL..... but sadly.... they are on one or more of the hundreds of CD's or DVD's I have..... or on one of the many storage hard drives....

I'd be willing to hunt them down for a museum.

:)

On 3/16/2016 at 7:27 PM, Tangle said:

Will it be possible to acquire the 0.18.3 demo? I recently realize it's gone. 

I"m sure someone, somewhere (maybe members of Squad) could make access to the early demos (how many were there I wonder once it stopped being a free game).

In other, sort of related news....I was playing the "latest" free version of the game (0.13.3) and this happened:

Kj7xDkI.png

Even Jeb is a bit upset. Though, that might be more because he can't exit the capsule and bounce around the Mun lol.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:09 PM, KasperVld said:

Hi everyone!

It's been a long time since development of Kerbal Space Program began. 5 years ago Felipe started work on a 2.5D game that would eventually grow to the game that we all know and love. It's been quite a ride from the first, careful steps to a full fledged rocketry game that has inspired many people around the world. Those of you who have been around for a long time will know that Kerbal Space Program started out as freeware. Versions 0.7.x up to 0.13.x were free for those brave enough to try them.

Back in 2012 when I was a new member of this community I collected these versions of KSP and uploaded them for others to enjoy. People brought in more versions of the game that had then already seemed lost to eternity. Almost all free versions of the game were eventually brought together and offered for download. After the forum breakage in 2013 @xorg was awesome enough to restore the post and provide new links for all these 'community sourced' old and free versions of KSP, and I'd like to give a him a special mention here for that.

Now it's 2016 (time flies when piloting rockets) and unfortunately the community sourced downloads for these old versions were recently made unavailable1. I wanted to make these versions of Kerbal Space Program available to download again, but using the old files which had not come from Squad directly would not be wise. With the great help of @HarvesteR, @aLeXmOrA and @Chuchito we're now able to once again offer these versions for download, from an official source no less!

It's always been great revisiting the past to play around with a version of KSP from before it had such fancy tools as tank stacking, symmetry mode in the VAB or even a persistent save file. I'd encourage you to give it a try!

As for the legal notice: these builds of Kerbal Space Program are offered "as is" without any warranty and with the express warning that we cannot accept any liability for damages resulting from their use (though, they should work just fine). Install and use at your own risk.

If you're interest in what exactly you'll find the KSP Wiki has an overview of the version history. Download links are below.

YAAAAAAA, even tho i no play these...

IM GETTING THE FIRST MAC VERSION

Felipe Falanghe, the legend started it just from some fireworks and tinfoil. He and his friends modified the fireworks and made it like some rockets or planes. They took some tinfoil and made little creatures. They named them Kerbals. They put them into the cockpits and launch. That's how the idea came!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2016 at 7:27 PM, Tangle said:

I thought that was what you got through steam.  I downloaded the "demo" around Christmas time on my father's machine and that is what I got.  I later got the demo directly from the Squad website to get the 1.0 demo.  Note that you might need a "dummy steam account" as I couldn't download the demo (from Steam) since I already had "KSP".

Using either of them lets you relive a level of "pure kerbalness" that we tend to forget when planning a big launch.

On 2016-03-15 at 0:27 AM, Tangle said:

I've got a copy, but I'm not going to share it, partly for legal reasons.

The other reason is that I don't want to share even with my worst enemy since it almost stopped me from getting into KSP.

The problem I had with that demo was that the demo differed in several drastic ways from the then current paid version.

So if you used the demo and then watched tutorials on how to build and fly your rocket, it would fail, explosively.

It took me about 24h (and half a bottle of scotch) to realise why my rockets failed, the SAS had been moved from the Mk.1 capsule to the specific module.

Once I realised the problem I whipped out the leather (erh, plastic actually) and paid for the game.

That was 2+ years ago, and I've never regretted that investment in fun.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:09 AM, Curveball Anders said:

The problem I had with that demo was that the demo differed in several drastic ways from the then current paid version.

To a certain degree this is true of the 1.0 demo as well.  No idea how many bugfixes and aero tweaks (they went from 1.0.0 to 1.0.3 in roughly a week, and later to 1.0.5 relatively quickly.  There was even a "unpointed" release that only changed the build number).

In any event, the extremely limited number of parts forces a certain amount of "old-school" kerbal design.  I'm pretty sure using *lots* of asparagus staging is critical, where current players would simply grab larger parts without thinking about it (also there is a certain requirement to overbuild as you can't install mods to tell you delta-v*).  The part limitations are enough to make this feel like an entirely different game (I like the released edition better, but the demo is closer to what I fell in love with back when I bought it (well before beta)).

* I'm assuming this.  While demos are unfortunately less popular than they used to be, I've never heard of an unpaid demo that allowed mods.

1 minute ago, Toonu said:

Can I get somewhere 1.1 and 1.1.1 versions? I unfortunately updated to 1.1.2 and most of mods aren't compatible...Can someone share 1 file? :D

Not legal to share KSP files.

The 1.1 and 1.1.1 are not available on the store, don't know if you can access outdated versions with Steam.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:46 AM, Warpedone said:

The v0.3 2D game ought to be a playable easter egg in the admin building (similar to Jeb's fishing game).  Loving that kitbashed control panel on the side of the screen...

tumblr_lyxhhxCHGC1qk0cbw.png

That would be a nice little addition :) I still think the old cobbled-together control panel should be what you start out with. Maybe it could be tied to the upgrade level of a relevant building (either mission control or the VAB/Hangar).

On May 6, 2016 at 4:46 AM, Warpedone said:

The v0.3 2D game ought to be a playable easter egg in the admin building (similar to Jeb's fishing game).  Loving that kitbashed control panel on the side of the screen...

The fishing game is a mod, not an easter egg. (but it WAS used as an April Fools joke).
I'd be equally supportive of a Kerbal Classic package... Basically, a collection of classic versions of KSP from the earliest up to the beta. Sell it for cheap... If .25 and .90 are "too modern" for a cheap classic pack, hold off on adding those till some KSP 1.? is released, where there is more of a difference in capabilities.

Otherwise, there could be tiers. $5 could get you Kerbal Vintage (up to .18 or so), and maybe $10 or $15 could get you Kerbal Classic (Kerbal Vintage, plus the newer versions, up to 0.90)? It'd make it possible to earn Squad some extra cash, and get around Steam limitations. Maybe they could even arrange a discount for existing Kerbal owners? Either way, it lets both them and Steam offer old content for sale as a new inventory item. Each version (or at least each significant revision) would be the most up to date build of it's particular release, unless a particular older build is more famed, and each would be treated as it's own separate download, with the game folder including the version number to differentiate versions.

Shame Steam can't consolidate hours across multiple versions of the same game, as this type of release would treat each game as a separate version.

Just thinking out loud... I'd certainly pay $10-15 for every pre-release version, and $5 for the really old versions.

On May 13, 2016 at 11:53 AM, FlyingPete said:

That would be a nice little addition :) I still think the old cobbled-together control panel should be what you start out with. Maybe it could be tied to the upgrade level of a relevant building (either mission control or the VAB/Hangar).

Maybe. It'd be real buggy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.