The earliest versions of Kerbal Space Program

KasperVld

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2018 at 10:03 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

IIRC the 0.18.3 demo is already available (a link on the previous page).

And welcome back to the forums!

lol no I meant all of the versions.

5 minutes ago, 10rima1 said:

lol no I meant all of the versions.

Sorry for the misunderstanding :) BTW sharing old versions of KSP is illegal IIRC. I think @Vanamonde mentioned that on the previous page too. The versions that were available on this thread were the free versions, so they are available to the public.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

On 7/23/2018 at 1:38 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding :) BTW sharing old versions of KSP is illegal IIRC. I think @Vanamonde mentioned that on the previous page too. The versions that were available on this thread were the free versions, so they are available to the public.

Using that logic you would be able to figure how I got those versions. ;)

10 hours ago, 10rima1 said:

Using that logic you would be able to figure how I got those versions. ;)

Oh, my mistake there :P. But we are only allowed to share versions 0.7.3 to 0.13.3, as those are the versions that were available for free. After that they were priced, so trading versions after 0.13.3 is an EULA violation I believe. While you may have them, you can't trade them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/26/2018 at 10:13 AM, RealKerbal3x said:

Oh, my mistake there :P. But we are only allowed https://bestledjumprope.com share versions 0.7.3 to 0.13.3, as those are the versions that were available for free. After https://waterflossersguide.com they were priced, so trading versions after 0.13.3 is an EULA violation I believe. While you may have them, you can't trade them.

Got it. Thanks!

Edited by beasly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I seriously wish SQUAD would release 0.18 or some alpha version as free to play. To make it reasonable one could put a restriction that you need to own a copy of KSP to download it.

Because I seriously want to see how broken the old versions were. I want to enjoy exploring all the planets but outdated and weird lookin tech.

• 2 weeks later...

This video was made in 2011. It is the earliest recording I can scrounge up from the "olden days" of Kerbal Spaceflight. That's 0.18, or 19 maybe... sometime around that general epoch, for sure

There was no map view back then, nor any method of measuring orbital parameters without doing the math yourself from speed and altitude alone.  The game had not much earlier been planned as a casual "how high can it go before boom" type challenge, which would have likely veered towards the mobile "casual" market (and therefrom unto oblivion) ... After some insistence by myself, since back then HarvesteR would sometimes still take advice from his own twin brother, the concept was fortunately turned towards the simulator side. I recall promoting it as "if they're gonna blow up anyways, it might as well happen on the way to a realistic orbit. No sense dumbing it down for accessibility" - much to our benefit, that idea actually stuck, and KSP as we know it was born. This video was made a few months after that event.

Note that there were already some mods made. - Mod friendliness were always a high concern in KSP development history. One of the very first major parts packs "Wobbly Rockets" is being used in that video. Plus some assorted bits I had made myself and have since become most thoroughly obsolete many times over

There was no Mun, or anywhere else to go... there wasn't even time warp (some of us used cheat-engine type software to force faster running) so completing a full orbit around Kerbin and reentering near enough home base was the pinnacle of achievement. It had to be done by the seat of one's pants, so it was much more art than science really...

Edited by Moach

15 hours ago, Moach said:

This video was made in 2011. It is the earliest recording I can scrounge up from the "olden days" of Kerbal Spaceflight. That's 0.18, or 19 maybe... sometime around that general epoch, for sure

There was no map view back then, nor any method of measuring orbital parameters without doing the math yourself from speed and altitude alone.  The game had not much earlier been planned as a casual "how high can it go before boom" type challenge, which would have likely veered towards the mobile "casual" market (and therefrom unto oblivion) ... After some insistence by myself, since back then HarvesteR would sometimes still take advice from his own twin brother, the concept was fortunately turned towards the simulator side. I recall promoting it as "if they're gonna blow up anyways, it might as well happen on the way to a realistic orbit. No sense dumbing it down for accessibility" - much to our benefit, that idea actually stuck, and KSP as we know it was born. This video was made a few months after that event.

Note that there were already some mods made. - Mod friendliness were always a high concern in KSP development history. One of the very first major parts packs "Wobbly Rockets" is being used in that video. Plus some assorted bits I had made myself and have since become most thoroughly obsolete many times over

There was no Mun, or anywhere else to go... there wasn't even time warp (some of us used cheat-engine type software to force faster running) so completing a full orbit around Kerbin and reentering near enough home base was the pinnacle of achievement. It had to be done by the seat of one's pants, so it was much more art than science really...

If there wasn't a Mun to go to, that's pretty 0.12, isn't it? God that was a long time ago... Why, I remember when Minmus was freshly discovered! ;)

Good times, gang... good times.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.