TheJangleMan

[1.2] & [1.1.3] | Official Release of Kerbal Galaxy Revamped | [PROJECT SCRAPPED]

Recommended Posts

Interesting mod! The solar panels not working unfortunately is not easy to solve. The reason is that the game engine consider only one star, the body with index zero in FlightGlobals.Bodies array. The only solution I can see is to replace the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel module with a custom one. If anybody is interested, have a look here in the PanelOutput() function and also here in the SolarFlux() function, to see an example of how it could be done relatively easy. Cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

Interesting mod! The solar panels not working unfortunately is not easy to solve. The reason is that the game engine consider only one star, the body with index zero in FlightGlobals.Bodies array. The only solution I can see is to replace the ModuleDeployableSolarPanel module with a custom one. If anybody is interested, have a look here in the PanelOutput() function and also here in the SolarFlux() function, to see an example of how it could be done relatively easy. Cheers.

Ooh, I've been looking for something like that, thanks dude!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want, I could take a crack at helping to update it to 1.1 as well. I've not modded KSP before, but I'm an experienced programmer and a fast learner, so I may be able to help out a bit.

Also, I'd like to note that you need to make the mod source code available, per the add-on posting rules. The ideal way to do that would be using GitHub, which would also make it easy for other people to contribute to development.

Edited by Techjar
Added extra note.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do planet mods that affect the stock system such as OPM put their planets around kernel the modded star or the black hole in the middle which is technically the normal star

also is there a .zip file instead of the .rar because my computer hates .rar for some reason

Edited by Kepler68

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure this the answer here is yes, but is this mod is a total rework of stock Kerbin solar system and thus to use must be done alone or in conjunction with Sigma88's Galactic Neighborhood?

Edited by jpinard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure would like to get this to work just to be able to view the beautiful systems.  No luck thus far, with latest Kopernicus, KSP v1.1, 64-bit exe  - I don't see any of the stars or planets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheJangleMan please, on the next update, bring kerbol back... It's annoying to see a black hole as kerbol! Poor kerbol, lost its shine... Well, nice mod, but, on the next v1.0.5 update, bring kerbol back! I will download that for sure! :D

Edited by Neil_Kerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2016 at 9:50 AM, Neil_Kerman said:

@TheJangleMan please, on the next update, bring kerbol back... It's annoying to see a black hole as kerbol! Poor kerbol, lost its shine... Well, nice mod, but, on the next v1.0.5 update, bring kerbol back! I will download that for sure! :D

Kerbol? Currently theonly thing I can do to center everything into one point is turn Kerbol into the center of the galaxy and turn it into a black hole, sorry, if someone finds a way to make it possible to change this, I'd surely implement that. 

On 4/22/2016 at 3:58 AM, Techjar said:

If you want, I could take a crack at helping to update it to 1.1 as well. I've not modded KSP before, but I'm an experienced programmer and a fast learner, so I may be able to help out a bit.

Also, I'd like to note that you need to make the mod source code available, per the add-on posting rules. The ideal way to do that would be using GitHub, which would also make it easy for other people to contribute to development.

That'd help a LOT dude! :P 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheJangleMan said:

Kerbol? Currently theonly thing I can do to center everything into one point is turn Kerbol into the center of the galaxy and turn it into a black hole, sorry, if someone finds a way to make it possible to change this, I'd surely implement that. 

Oh yes, actually I am sad for kerbol... It lost its shine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2016 at 2:36 PM, Kepler68 said:

do planet mods that affect the stock system such as OPM put their planets around kernel the modded star or the black hole in the middle which is technically the normal star

also is there a .zip file instead of the .rar because my computer hates .rar for some reason

Get winrar, it will help, or 7zip, also, basically theres the main blackhole in the center (Kerbol)  and then the suns that orbit around this are technically planets but are converted into sun-like bodies, and the planets around these "stars" are technically moons, and the Moons around the "planets" are technically , uh... IDK asteroids?

1 minute ago, Neil_Kerman said:

Oh yes, actually I am sad for kerbol... It lost its shine...

Not much I can do atm

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@TheJangleMan I'm rather curious, if Kopernicus has not changed it's API, then what is needed to be updated? Does it link with other mods, or have some features that simply configs cannot add?

Edited by Thomdare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/4/2016 at 6:17 PM, ShotgunNinja said:

The reason is that the game engine consider only one star, the body with index zero in FlightGlobals.Bodies array.

so, I've seen a lot of people saying stuff like that, and it's not true. Or better, it's not totally true.

while it's true that KSP doesn't recognize more than one star, it's also true that Kopernicus changes the "active star" constantly so that solar panels can work around different stars

 

the problem with this method is that it cannot work if you reparent kerbin, I've had to fight with this bug for so much time I can't even remember.

Kopernicus developers are aware of the issue, but it's not likely this can be solved anytime soon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sigma88 Thanks for the info. I managed to find Planetarium.Sun, I guess that's what Kopernicus change. For the reparenting kerbin bug, have you tried setting the solar panel to use a power curve? I say that because if the problem is related to how 1AU is evalued (and the fact that solar output is normalized against 1AU), then using power curves would bypass that completely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dayum ! THANKS SO MUCH for updating it to 1.0.5 ! Can't wait to see it on 1.1 

 

 

Thanks for your amazing effort OP !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShotgunNinja said:

@Sigma88 Thanks for the info. I managed to find Planetarium.Sun, I guess that's what Kopernicus change. For the reparenting kerbin bug, have you tried setting the solar panel to use a power curve? I say that because if the problem is related to how 1AU is evalued (and the fact that solar output is normalized against 1AU), then using power curves would bypass that completely.

I don't really do much programming (C#)

Most of my work is on cfgs.

If you want more info @Thomas P. Is the expert :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool planet pack!

What would be needed to make it compatible with Galactic Neighborhood? Would that require changes here or there?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Amedee said:

Cool planet pack!

What would be needed to make it compatible with Galactic Neighborhood? Would that require changes here or there?

 

 

I don't think the result of merging GN and KG would come out well.

GN has a different approach, it has only a hanfull of stars, that are all found in the same region of the galaxy, while KG has stars from all around the galaxy.

the two styles are so different that I feel they woundn't mix well together.

but anyone interested in making a mod that merges GN and KG has my blessing.

Just don't redistribute my mod please. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I don't think the result of merging GN and KG would come out well.

GN has a different approach, it has only a hanfull of stars, that are all found in the same region of the galaxy, while KG has stars from all around the galaxy.

the two styles are so different that I feel they woundn't mix well together.

but anyone interested in making a mod that merges GN and KG has my blessing.

Just don't redistribute my mod please. :)

I don't mean merging the two. I mean I'm offering to write a config (can't imagine it would be a full mod with dll files) that rips out the stars of KG and puts them in GN. Figuratively speaking, of course, but a certain Doctor Who episode comes to mind. :)

About redistribution: nope. But am I allowed to write a MM config that has a dependency on GN and KG?

My question really is: where do I start? Apart from the obvous things like having a Github acount, installing a text editor for software developmentreading up on Sarbian's Module Manager.

My first wild guess is that I need to take a look at the "MoveStar" configs of GN, and write one for each of the stars in KG, and then do something to eliminate the central black hole of KG. Oh and also get rid of the "Kerbol" system of KG.

What I'm actually interested in knowing: where do all the planet pack developers hang out online? Or is everyone on their own little island? I hope not! :)

Edited by Amedee
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so, here is an idea. You could add a solar system just like ours. If you did that, then we could "visit our selves" even though you don't really. I might not be a great idea, but I still want it out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea what you need help with right now, but I have zero experience in working with KSP. The most I've done is some stuff for skyrim, and that was rigging models for a couple of people. However, I can offer help in very, very specific bug testing.

I mean, we're talking I will actively try to break the game with your mod installed and take notes on exactly how I did it, and give them to you. However, beyond that, I can't help much. I'd need to read "Unity for dummies" before I could.
Come to think of that, I should buy a few "for dummies" books on programming. World needs more programmers. So, if any help regarding testing is needed, I'll lend it. Otherwise, I'm no use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/22/2016 at 3:58 AM, Techjar said:

If you want, I could take a crack at helping to update it to 1.1 as well. I've not modded KSP before, but I'm an experienced programmer and a fast learner, so I may be able to help out a bit.

Also, I'd like to note that you need to make the mod source code available, per the add-on posting rules. The ideal way to do that would be using GitHub, which would also make it easy for other people to contribute to development.

But I don't know how to do that D:

Oh, and yes you can help. Any help would be great, even if it helps in the slightest way possible

Edited by TheJangleMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheJangleMan said:

But I don't know how to do that D:

Oh, and yes you can help. Any help would be great, even if it helps in the slightest way possible

If you give me the code I can upload it to GitHub 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Thomdare said:

If you give me the code I can upload it to GitHub 

Oh, so I just upload it to GitHub? Or?

Also, I'll have access to a computer in a couple days maybe more.

Edited by TheJangleMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2016 at 6:04 PM, TheJangleMan said:

Oh, so I just upload it to GitHub? Or?

Also, I'll have access to a computer in a couple days maybe more.

GitHub is good. I'm like Techjar. I'll try to help to my best extent (I also have some planet ideas)

 

Edited by Thomdare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now