It's My Island - Ground Attack Challenge Level 1 (BD Armoury AI)

I ask that all who post in this thread to please keep your posts directly related to this challenge and try to avoid frivolous and unrelated content ... Thank you

NOTE: If you compete in this challenge you are eligible to compete in Level 2 which you can find HERE

I've manually flown a single military cargo plane outfitted to defend itself to the KSC Island Airport. The mission is to take out the plane and it's defenses

Due to the missiles being amazingly accurate in the latest BD Armoury I am not using them in defense of the Island Airport ... Guns only on my end and anything goes on yours although YOUR CRAFT MUST BE ABLE TO LAUNCH UNDER AI CONTROL

RULES:
- 1 craft only but outfit it any way you want, however you may use a maximum of 100 parts.
- You must upload your craft to somewhere I can download it from (Google Drive for example)
- You may also upload a custom flag for your craft that will be used during recording otherwise I will use a bulls eye
- NO MODS OTHER THAN BD ARMORY ... BD Armoury 0.10.3 is required
- You must have a Weapon Manager and an AI Pilot which are toggled to hotkey '1' (Toggle Guard Mode and Toggle AI Pilot respectively)
- Your craft is designated as Team A
- YOUR CRAFT MUST BE ABLE TO LAUNCH UNDER AI CONTROL

NOTE: The BDA Wiki is located HERE

I will record each craft attempting to take out the plane and it's defenses on the island and post the video's on YouTube with the potential to do live streams of the competition in the future

NOTE: The cargo plane will remain in the same position and can target anything, however the mobile turrets will be re-positioned for the competition as well as being set to only target missiles ... The defenses will remain in the same configuration for the duration of this thread

Sample video can be found HERE

The attack vector used for each contestant will roughly be the same as in the sample video above.

Essentially I will manually pilot your craft (on a direct trajectory to the Island Airport from the KSC at roughly 1000 m altitude) to around 4.8 km out from the cargo plane and it's defenses at which point I will activate the AI pilot and watch the beautiful disaster ensue whilst recording the carnage for prosperity ... 4.8 km is is being used so as to allow all crafts to load into physics as well preventing your craft from conducting a turn which could result in it flying out of range of it's targets

SCOREBOARD (Time and Kill Count)

DoctorDavinci w/ the DB-43 Manta GAU [SAMPLE VIDEO]

- SasquatchM w/ the SM-Wyvern-Mk.4 ... KILL COUNT= TOTAL ANNIHILATION ... TIME= 0:07:17 [video]

- SasquatchM w/ the Wyvern Mk3 ... KILL COUNT= 2 ... TIME= 0:13:21 [video]

stickman939 w/ the Xerox X2 11 ... KILL COUNT= 1 ... TIME= 0:03:17 [video]

- SpaceplaneAddict w/ the Addiction Aerospace Peacekeeper Mk2 ... KILL COUNT= 1 ... TIME= 0:03:32 [video]

- SpaceplaneAddict w/ the Addiction Aerospace Peacekeeper ... KILL COUNT= 0 ... TIME= 0:04:23 [video]

- GDJ w/ the Hornet 2 ... KILL COUNT= 0 ... TIME= 0:04:59 [video]

-

-

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Hmm.....interesting challenge.....

I'm thinking low, supersonic........kick up a major amount of dust.....knock some more concrete off of the tower......

Edited by GDJ

Do i have to build rovers my self or do you have safe file ready to destroy them. ( i am already made scenario and rovers so i show soon my results) ;)

Edit: Is posible use hyper edit to get my stuff to island?

Edited by SolidJuho

15 minutes ago, SolidJuho said:

Do i have to build rovers my self or do you have safe file ready to destroy them. ( i am already made scenario and rovers so i show soon my results) ;)

Edit: Is posible use hyper edit to get my stuff to island?

I think your missing the gist of the challenge ... Perhaps read the OP again

On 2016-02-13 at 8:57 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

I've flown a single military cargo plane outfitted to defend itself to the KSC Island Airport. The mission is to take out the plane and it's defenses

Not sure how much clearer that can be written

7 hours ago, SasquatchM said:

Here is my go: The Wyvern Mk. 3

pTX1oq1.png

18 Hellfires

2 Harms

4 Hidden Vulcans

It can actually avoid missiles and does fairly well air-to-air with a different weapons loadout

13.4 tons of flying badassery.

Nice .. I recognize the main fuselage, looks conspicuously like my CANUKWorks DD-39 Scrappy Doo :wink:

I'll run it shortly

EDIT-------------------------------------------

So I ran the Wyvern Mk3 ... You can watch the results HERE

Edited by DoctorDavinci

I'm having some issues with my BD Armoury. My plane hits the first target (I have three functioning Goalkeepers as targets) and then my plane just flies around like a dumb nut and the other two goalkeepers literally turn my plane into confetti. Plane won't target or anything. Everything is "on" in regards to trigger and guard mode. Teams are selected properly.

Has anybody else had any issues with using the targeting pod, Maverics and HARM missiles? I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Perhaps just stick with one type of armament?

Edited by GDJ

10 minutes ago, GDJ said:

I'm having some issues with my BD Armoury. My plane hits the first target (I have three functioning Goalkeepers as targets) and then my plane just flies around like a dumb nut and the other two goalkeepers literally turn my plane into confetti.

Has anybody else had any issues with using the targeting pod, Maverics and HARM missiles? I'm at a bit of a loss here.

Perhaps just stick with one type of armament?

Using 3 Goalkeepers as target practice is like a man with a knife using a nuclear submarine as a test of how sharp his knife is :confused:

You don't need Radar for guns ... HINT: I don't have any Radar on the island

When the AI pilot detects a radar lock from the Goalkeeper it will start evasive maneuvers like it is being targeted by a missile

Edited by DoctorDavinci

53 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Using 3 Goalkeepers as target practice is like a man with a knife using a nuclear submarine as a test of how sharp his knife is :confused:

You don't need Radar for guns ... HINT: I don't have any Radar on the island

When the AI pilot detects a radar lock from the Goalkeeper it will start evasive maneuvers like it is being targeted by a missile

LOL! Well, I ended up with 4 before posting this, and beat them! :)

Well, four goalkeepers shooting at me and trying to lock in to shoot is entertaining to say the least. There were so many tracers that I probably lost 30 FPS! :D

Well, It appears that I fixed my issues and kept it simple....
....basically walk softly and carry several big sticks!

PRESENTING.....

The Hornet 2 (yeah, there was a Hornet 1)

screenshot7_6.png

8 Maverick Missiles
1 targeting pod
6 .50 cal Brownings (gotta have backup, right?)

Total loaded mass: 10 tonnes
Empty mass: 8 tonnes

She's fun to fly too! Pulls 15+G turns no problem.

As per rules, all the AI functions are on 1, Afterburners are on 2 if you are flying manual. Hit 1 once to go into AI, hit 1 again and you're on full manual.

Enjoy!

And the file....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6uwi0psvug5sz5/The%20Hornet%202.craft?dl=0

Edited by GDJ

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Nice .. I recognize the main fuselage, looks conspicuously like my CANUKWorks DD-39 Scrappy Doo :wink:

I'll run it shortly

EDIT-------------------------------------------

So I ran the Wyvern Mk3 ... You can watch the results HERE

I really liked the set up and it let my set up the intakes in a way that I liked.

I noticed you have a lot more wing flex than I had,so I checked my mods and noticed i have Kerbal Joint reinforcement on as well

Edited by SasquatchM

20 hours ago, The Optimist said:

Guess I'll have to brush off the VTAL-22 and slap some BDarmory guns on it now.

Anything goes although you're limited to 100 parts

Another thing I have been thinking about is your craft taking off as I feel that any craft entered into this challenge should be capable of taking off under AI control seeing as it is an AI challenge (the only reason I am manually piloting is to get the craft in range of the targets) ... The OP has been updated to reflect this

OK, well, in testing my bomber with a AGW loadout, I've found that the engines aren't enough and neither are the wings, but to correct this problem means going well over the 100 part limit.

I'll still post it here for gits and shiggles, 'cos I think you'll like it. It's a direct inspiration of the BV38 Flying Wing, as seen in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The difference between that and mine is the bomb bay (mine doesn't have one, the bombs are loaded on wing hardpoints) and the wings on mine are more spread over the CoM to bring the CoL forward (essentially to force it to be a little unstable). Oh, and I forgot to add tail fins forward of the props. Other than that, it's basically 1:1 scale.

Armaments (testing loadout):

8x500lb bombs

6xcluster bombs

2x2 Vulcan turrets (front and rear) (2400 rounds*)

4 hidden cannon (just outboard the wingroots in front of the landing gear) (2600 rounds*)

ECM jammer module

*Might have this the wrong way round, it's 5,000 rounds altogether. I'd check but the game keeps crashing on me.

Here's a model someone made earlier in that other Virtual Lego game...

Qmf23cqYXk9bUwSn8J2gDAxAfA5528N6oXfE1qrV

Screenshots and .craft file will soon come just as soon as I've figured out the bit about it FLYING.

23 hours ago, GDJ said:

LOL! Well, I ended up with 4 before posting this, and beat them! :)

Well, four goalkeepers shooting at me and trying to lock in to shoot is entertaining to say the least. There were so many tracers that I probably lost 30 FPS! :D

Well, It appears that I fixed my issues and kept it simple....
....basically walk softly and carry several big sticks!

PRESENTING.....

The Hornet 2 (yeah, there was a Hornet 1)

screenshot7_6.png

8 Maverick Missiles
1 targeting pod
6 .50 cal Brownings (gotta have backup, right?)

Total loaded mass: 10 tonnes
Empty mass: 8 tonnes

She's fun to fly too! Pulls 15+G turns no problem.

As per rules, all the AI functions are on 1, Afterburners are on 2 if you are flying manual. Hit 1 once to go into AI, hit 1 again and you're on full manual.

Enjoy!

And the file....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6uwi0psvug5sz5/The%20Hornet%202.craft?dl=0

I should have asked for your flag ... I am updating the OP to reflect this

I ran your plane anyways, you can view the results HERE

Edited by DoctorDavinci

23 hours ago, ihtoit said:

OK, well, in testing my bomber with a AGW loadout, I've found that the engines aren't enough and neither are the wings, but to correct this problem means going well over the 100 part limit.

I'll still post it here for gits and shiggles, 'cos I think you'll like it. It's a direct inspiration of the BV38 Flying Wing, as seen in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. The difference between that and mine is the bomb bay (mine doesn't have one, the bombs are loaded on wing hardpoints) and the wings on mine are more spread over the CoM to bring the CoL forward (essentially to force it to be a little unstable). Oh, and I forgot to add tail fins forward of the props. Other than that, it's basically 1:1 scale.

Armaments (testing loadout):

8x500lb bombs

6xcluster bombs

2x2 Vulcan turrets (front and rear) (2400 rounds*)

4 hidden cannon (just outboard the wingroots in front of the landing gear) (2600 rounds*)

ECM jammer module

*Might have this the wrong way round, it's 5,000 rounds altogether. I'd check but the game keeps crashing on me.

I request that you post your craft in the spacecraft exchange if you want to show people your plane instead of this thread due to the fact that, as you stated, it doesn't conform to the rules of this challenge ... I personally would prefer not having posts in this thread that aren't directly related to this competition

Thanking you in advance
DoctorDavinci

On 2016-02-15 at 7:08 PM, SasquatchM said:

I really liked the set up and it let my set up the intakes in a way that I liked.

I noticed you have a lot more wing flex than I had,so I checked my mods and noticed i have Kerbal Joint reinforcement on as well

Looked like a Canada Goose trying to get airborne lol ... Flappy Bird in KSP :D

Every time I used the AI for take off your craft would end up tearing it's wings off by the time it got halfway to the island which is why I didn't use the AI for launch nor the afterburners to get to the island

You're welcome to enter another design if you're so inclined

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I should have asked for your flag ... I am updating the OP to reflect this

I ran your plane anyways, you can view the results HERE

Darn, your Island defences are impressive.
And I almost made it out of there without a scratch.

Better luck next time. :/

7 minutes ago, GDJ said:

Darn, your Island defences are impressive.
And I almost made it out of there without a scratch.

Better luck next time. :/

I sent one of my modified DD-39 Scrappy Doo's (the DB-1 Scooby) to attack the island in to test it and came up with the setup the way it is now (the DB-1 Scooby is the craft in the sample video in the OP) ... It is challenging but I have seen the Scooby clean house once or twice

Looking forward to your next entry ... The defenses will remain in the same configuration for the duration of this thread

Edited by DoctorDavinci

12 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I sent one of my modified DD-39 Scrappy Doo's (the DB-1 Scooby) to attack the island in to test it and came up with the setup the way it is now (the DB-1 Scooby is the craft in the sample video in the OP) ... It is challenging but I have seen the Scooby clean house once or twice

Looking forward to your next entry ... The defenses will remain in the same configuration for the duration of this thread

Thanks!

At least I lasted over 12 minutes with that fury of lead flying at me. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.