Kerbalx Break Down

Rigel Agar

are you trying to give me a heart attack?!

It's up and all's green.  Are you unable to access it?!?  The site has moved to https://KerbalX.com rather than http://KerbalX.com, but it should redirect you anyway.

But, this has been the most fraught couple weeks since it's launch.  Imgur blocked access to KerbalX (still has infact, but I've got around the block as temporary fix, shhh!).  I'm am right this second (well not this second) writing the proper fix which will make imgur happy and they'll lift the block.  Long story short, they don't like the way I display thumbnails with the images hosted on imgur, so without any warning they just blocked it and it took me ages to figure out what had happened and even longer to find out exactly why they'd blocked it.

The solution; KerbalX is getting it's own image hosting service built into it.  Initially (in the next ~48hrs) that will just hold the thumbnails for craft pages (and there may be a bit of downtime tomorrow or monday while I get that deployed, but hopefully not).
Imgur has really upset me with the way they've handled this whole thing so I am going to make it so KerbalX isn't dependent on them anymore.  So coming soon you will be able to upload your images directly to KerbalX and use them in your craft pages and also hot-link them to display here/reddit etc.  You will still be able to use imgur hosted images as before as I know most of you have well established accounts with them.

Edited by katateochi
fixed weird typo

16 hours ago, katateochi said:

are you trying to give me a heart attack?!

It's up and all's green.  Are you unable to access it?!?  The site has moved to https://KerbalX.com rather than http://KerbalX.com, but it should redirect you anyway.

But, this has been the most fraught couple weeks since it's launch.  Imgur blocked access to KerbalX (still has infact, but I've got around the block as temporary fix, shhh!).  I'm am right this second (well not this second) writing the proper fix which will make imgur happy and they'll lift the block.  Long story short, they don't like to they way I display thumbnails with the images hosted on imgur, so without any warning they just blocked it and it took me ages to figure out what had happened and even longer to find out exactly why they'd blocked it.

The solution; KerbalX is getting it's own image hosting service built into it.  Initially (in the next ~48hrs) that will just hold the thumbnails for craft pages (and there may be a bit of downtime tomorrow or monday while I get that deployed, but hopefully not).
Imgur has really upset me with the way they've handled this whole thing so I am going to make it so KerbalX isn't dependent on them anymore.  So coming soon you will be able to upload your images directly to KerbalX and use them in your craft pages and also hot-link them to display here/reddit etc.  You will still be able to use imgur hosted images as before as I know most of you have well established accounts with them.

Thank you sir katateochi, i thought it broke down so sorry if you have an heart attack, cause you maked my day great

2 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Now if the forums had their own image hosting. That would be awesome, and it's great KerbalX gets it's own now. But will this tax the servers too much?

won't really tax them at all!! image hosting is going to be on the mighty Amazon-AWS (s3) servers. uploading images may have a very very minor impact, but once hosted they'll be accessible without needing to touch the KerbalX servers.  If you put an image on KerbalX and then display it on the forum as well, views from the forum won't touch KerbalX at all.  

8 hours ago, katateochi said:

won't really tax them at all!! image hosting is going to be on the mighty Amazon-AWS (s3) servers. uploading images may have a very very minor impact, but once hosted they'll be accessible without needing to touch the KerbalX servers.  If you put an image on KerbalX and then display it on the forum as well, views from the forum won't touch KerbalX at all.  

Ooh! So you are renting the server?

22 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Ooh! So you are renting the server?

kinda, although I've never thought of it like that, but for KerbalX itself yeah that's kinda right, the image hosting is quite different, it's more a pay as you go system.

With the image hosting on Amazon S3, they charge per image and per request.  That might sound nasty at first until you see what they charge (order of $0.004 per 10,000 requests).  And I think (I'm still in disbelief on this) that the first year you get 20,000 request and 15GB of data transfer per month for free!! 

The server itself isn't really a server in the traditional sense.  KerbalX is hosted with Heroku, which in turn also sits on Amazon's Elastic Cloud  - EC2 (yep, we're going full Amazon(ian) up in here!).
So the server is more wibbly-wobbly I have no idea where it might actually be running at any given instant! That I do pay a set price for and it's not as friendly ($60 per month), most of that cost is for a higher spec database which was needed once the site got more popular. So that bit is much more like renting.  

8 hours ago, katateochi said:

kinda, although I've never thought of it like that, but for KerbalX itself yeah that's kinda right, the image hosting is quite different, it's more a pay as you go system.

With the image hosting on Amazon S3, they charge per image and per request.  That might sound nasty at first until you see what they charge (order of $0.004 per 10,000 requests).  And I think (I'm still in disbelief on this) that the first year you get 20,000 request and 15GB of data transfer per month for free!! 

The server itself isn't really a server in the traditional sense.  KerbalX is hosted with Heroku, which in turn also sits on Amazon's Elastic Cloud  - EC2 (yep, we're going full Amazon(ian) up in here!).
So the server is more wibbly-wobbly I have no idea where it might actually be running at any given instant! That I do pay a set price for and it's not as friendly ($60 per month), most of that cost is for a higher spec database which was needed once the site got more popular. So that bit is much more like renting.  

Cool! That's really high performance!

26 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Cool! That's really high performance!

Heroku does cost a bit more than some, but for Ruby on Rails projects they really lead the game on hosting. And they are just nice (which for a big company is kinda rare).  Before I knew that it was imgur blocked me I had no idea what was up.  So I contacted Heroku support and said, "hey I don't think this is anything to do with you but do you have any ideas?" and they went and did some digging for me (which as they totally didn't have to) and that's how I found out it was imgur! So that's worth something.

oooo and on the subject of cool site stuff, I've just added a (completely free) bolt on which gives the site it's SSL certificate, but also does a load of extra stuff like caching, content distribution and is another layer against attacks.  So things should be faster and with less load on the site.  They have another feature which apparently can keep the site up, even if it completely crashes.  It involves magic and magnets as far as I can tell and when I tried switching it on everything went strange so I switched it off and ran away. Will investigate that more later. 

9 hours ago, katateochi said:

It involves magic and magnets as far as I can tell and when I tried switching it on everything went strange so I switched it off and ran away.

I think I saw that movie once. It doesn't end well for the one touching the switches...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.