The Aerofoil/Parafoil Challenge

Okay, lets keep this simple.

First thread I've published.

CAN YOU MAKE AN AEROFOIL?

So many people think they are awesome because they can achieve orbit in 30 seconds, but it takes

real skill to make a self-flying in-atmosphere glider.

You must use STOCK PARTS, the glider must be SELF SUPPORTING and SELF FLYING. The glider can not go over 3000 meters, and it MUST LAND WITHOUT A PARACHUTE.

Can you do this?

Below is my attempt.

Jeb will be disappointed if you succeed.

Wait, is the thing supposed to be able to glide hands-off, like with positive stability?

Because I sorta made such a thing a long time ago; I had to wrestle it to about 5 km because it was extremely asymmetrical, but after I got it there I burnt off the rest of my fuel and let it glide by itself. It settled into extremely-tight circles as it gently glided back down to the launchpad area. VERY stable, but unfortunately still too fast to land survivably without power (I don't think it's even possible to manage a safe landing without power or a chute).

How my glider works is that you turn on SAS, Fire the boosters, then as they run out, eject the boosters and SAS module then turn SAS off. The glider will tumble, and then level out. Wait a while, then as the glider starts rapidly losing height, reposition the glider until it stops tumbling, then turn SAS back on. If it loses more height, turn SAS back off. If you get it perfect, then it will slowly drift in a direction, losing height at 1m/s. It will land safely.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.