Theory Hub: Post Your Space Theories!

ProtoJeb21

This is my first post, I need to get this out and need to know what other people think of this theory/s

I believe in the simulation theory, because there must be something outside the universe, there can not be nothing. It started with a big bang (system starts)
it will end with the big crunch (system reset) By system reset I mean after the big crunch, there will be a big bang again, with the same events happening, with all the matter, space and time will be just the same (theory of past life/ deja vu)

First: Welcome to the forum !

12 hours ago, wowest said:

I believe in the simulation theory, because there must be something outside the universe, there can not be nothing. It started with a big bang (system starts)

On a philosophical level, you should let go of the concept of "outside" when talking about the universe. You can be outside of a house or a car because these have a size in a world with 3 spacial dimensions. But you cannot be outside of the universe because there is no outside. The universe does not expand into something, it has no edge or rim, it might actually be indefinitely large.

it will end with the big crunch (system reset) By system reset I mean after the big crunch, there will be a big bang again, with the same events happening, with all the matter, space and time will be just the same (theory of past life/ deja vu)

It does indeed look like the expansion accelerates indefinitely. There will not be a big crunch, rather a big dilution, big rip, "heat death" or maximum entropy, depending on the value of the cosmological constant. The hypothesis of a big crunch was in discussion but has been discarded because of evidence to the contrary. Observation of the visible universe tells us that the universe will expand indefinitely, as uncomfortable as this may be :-)

Look up the "cosmological constant", info on it can help you to find out more about the possible final states of the universe.

Edited by Green Baron

1 hour ago, Green Baron said:

First: Welcome to the forum !

On a philosophical level, you should let go of the concept of "outside" when talking about the universe. You can be outside of a house or a car because these have a size in a world with 3 spacial dimensions. But you cannot be outside of the universe because there is no outside. The universe does not expand into something, it has no edge or rim, it might actually be indefinitely large.

Slight quibble...it is indefinitely large; it might be infinitely large.

To the OP: observations of the observable portion of the universe suggest very strongly that the actual universe is much, much larger -- indefinitely so -- than what we observe.

Of course, thanks for the correction :-)

The simulation hypothesis (not "theory") otoh can not be verified, nor falsified. It is scifi, philosophy. And has problems if the universe is infinite.

Attention, philosophy:

https://www.simulation-argument.com/faq.html

And as a more substantial counterweight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Popper#Philosophy

54 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

the universe is infinite.

Can not be verified or falsified, not a scientifically significant argument.

54 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

As well as the Popper criterion itself.

P.S.
Schroedinger rulez.

P.P.S.
And Boltzmann.

Edited by kerbiloid

6 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

This is one of your jokes, right ?

No.

If it is finite, then one day we can measure it.

1. Its edge can be getting away faster than we ever can approach.
2. Until we can, this is not an argument.

(Btw how do you recognize if that is the edge of the Universe or not?)

Edited by kerbiloid

6 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

1. Its edge can be getting away faster than we ever can approach.

It is already now. But "measure" doesn't always refer to a 1m-ruler. There are more sophisticated methods to "measure" something.

2. Until we can, this is not an argument.

I do not understand what you want, my friend. We said "it might be infinite", which is a real possibility. We may one day find out for sure. Both, the hypothesis ("we assume that it is infinite") and the methods to find out (is it flat, is it expanding, slower or faster, value of a cosmological constant, plus those who still need to be invented) are well within the boundaries of proper natural science.

And one day we will know, or not.

Relax. Everything's fine. And find out more. It may be worth it :-)

Edited by Green Baron

Just now, Green Baron said:

It is already now.

We take this as an assumption based on the experimental data.
Also we know that it is "close to, and highly likely is", not "obviously is". There are 3 hypotheses, and Big Rip is still on the table, as well as Big Bounce and Big Crunch.

3 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

But "measure" doesn't always refer to a ruler.

But "measure" does always refer to the Universe. How will you measure the edge of the Universe with a tool which is a part of the Universe?
Like measuring the wind speed from a balloon.

We said "it might be infinite", which is a real possibility. We may one day find out for sure.

Even if we can, what prohibits Universe from being a machine with finite number of states?

For me, if it is absolutely infinite or technically infinite plays no role anyway. Like in "Life" game there can be finite and inifinite eternal sets of figures.

9 minutes ago, Green Baron said:

And one day we will know, or not.

So, you don't treat the time itself as a part of the Universe?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.