I'm increasingly starting to hate KerbalStuff.

Clockwork13

I think we can agree that paying for mods won't be popular... 

Even for a subscription, it is highly disagreeable, even just for the effect it will have on the modding environment as a whole for the president it sets.

Track it forward and soon you have no modding communities and a bunch of 3rd party paid DLCs (which could only go forward with the approval of the brand). So basically a huge step backwards.

Edited by p1t1o

3 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Track it forward and soon you have no modding communities and a bunch of 3rd party paid DLCs (which could only go forward with the approval of the brand). So basically a huge step backwards.

No...Stop doing accurate descriptions of what Steamworks is.

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Funny thing about protecting a trademark, you have to show a history of pursuing it. If you have a a history of ignoring encroachment on the trademark then courts will not take claims seriously.

Except that Squad PROMISED the entire community that they would not take this route back when they partnered with Curse. Funny how things have changed so quickly and now they are going after their own community.

Great job squad!! You have now become like every other corrupt evil corporations out there.

Just for curiosity, I disabled my ad blocker and went to Curse.  I had no idea the amount of crap that was displayed on the pages.  I very quickly turned my adblocker back on.

I've started uploading my mods to Curse, but am thinking of just hosting them myself on spacetux.net

1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just for curiosity, I disabled my ad blocker and went to Curse.  I had no idea the amount of crap that was displayed on the pages.  I very quickly turned my adblocker back on.

I've started uploading my mods to Curse, but am thinking of just hosting them myself on spacetux.net

I quit using Curse a while back ago for that very reason - and then some. Its search mechanism is not user friendly and the site is clunky.

4 minutes ago, boxman said:

Except that Squad PROMISED the entire community that they would not take this route back when they partnered with Curse. Funny how things have changed so quickly and now they are going after their own community.

Great job squad!! You have now become like every other corrupt evil corporations out there.

They are not going down this route. They came to an agreement with KerbalStuff a year and a half ago. Squad has not forced KS to be taken down.

1 minute ago, boxman said:

Take what route?

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Do a favor to your users and give Curseforge links rather than Curse links, much more user friendly, no timers and only internal ads.

Just now, linuxgurugamer said:

What are you talking about?  The shutdown had nothing to do with legal action.  That was merely Squad protecting their trademark, and nothing came of it

Did I say it was directly the reason?? It was ONE of the reasons according to what he wrote himself.

And who cores if nothig came to it, when they said in the past they would not go after third party sites and had absolutely no problem with people making alternatives to curse.

1 minute ago, boxman said:

Did I say it was directly the reason?? It was ONE of the reasons according to what he wrote himself.

And who cores if nothig came to it, when they said in the past they would not go after third party sites and had absolutely no problem with people making alternatives to curse.

You need to learn trademark law.  They really had no choice, otherwise they would have lost their trademark.  Blame the politicians if you want for that stupid decision

8 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Do a favor to your users and give Curseforge links rather than Curse links, much more user friendly, no timers and only internal ads.

If ckan will support that, I will, thanks

Fine job, OP.

"I stopped volunteering my time and energy to extend this website, because my efforts were always met with silence or complaints." -KerbalStuff, 2016

17 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I'll rather stop modding than going to curse or curseforge or whatever.

edit for precision

Edited by Yemo

2 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

CKAN also supports links to other websites, but they must be exact and specific, so if you change the file name, you need to update ckan

I'm pretty sure Curse and Curseforge have methods that would prevent CKAN from working. Wouldn't want all those ads from not generating any revenue, would you?

Plus, would be easy to see Curse taking action against CKAN for whatever arbitrary reason they cite.

Edited by BloodDusk