Fav KSP Pairings!

fredinno

I have "teams" of Kerbals assigned. Each consists of 2 of each skill, which allows a pilot to accompany the scientist to the ground while another pilot stays with the main ship in orbit, or for a pilot to transport an engineer to the base in order to make repairs or oversee a fuel transfer. 

On 15/02/2016 at 4:47 AM, razark said:

Why does one feel the need to make up relationships that have no reason for being between beings that don't exist?

I don't recall that Romeo and Juliet ever existed either. :)

With regard to KSP and fanfic in general - people like to make up stories. Their favourite games/films/books/whatevers are good sources of inspiration for those stories

21 hours ago, Just Jim said:

Some of us thrive on love and romance, and find it wherever we can.  It's not rational... it's just being human.  :kiss:

I'm going to stick to the spirit of the OP...
My favorite pairing would be two of my fan-fiction main characters, Jandolin and Harfield, who were marred under a great Mun arch:

Good choice! I'll pinch your premise and go for Jonton and Gerselle. They're not even kerbonauts, just two kerbals, married with a family, trying to keep things together amidst a whole bunch of exceptionally trying and unusual circumstances.

28 minutes ago, KSK said:

I don't recall that Romeo and Juliet ever existed either.

True, however in that story, the relationship was added by the creator of the characters, not by later fans. 

Shipping characters from works I did not create is more akin to saying Romeo and Juliet ending happily because I pretend they talked about their plan over the phone.

40 minutes ago, razark said:

True, however in that story, the relationship was added by the creator of the characters, not by later fans. 

Shipping characters from works I did not create is more akin to saying Romeo and Juliet ending happily because I pretend they talked about their plan over the phone.

A fair point. KSP is interesting in that regard though because there isn't much canon material about any of the kerbals. Even the four orange suits are pretty paper thin characters and we see nothing at all about their lives outside of going to space.

So for a given fanfic involving the orange suits, I would argue that the author was at least as much responsible for creating the characters as Squad, although Squad certainly provided the all-important inspiration.

In your example, it would be as if some other writer came across a couple of scribbled notes on a manuscript:

'Romeo + Juliet - two young lovers living in Verona' 

and then wrote Romeo and Juliet from those notes. Not the best example to choose since Romeo and Juliet borrowed heavily from earlier works but I think it makes my point.

Edited by KSK

If people want to imagine scenarios and relationships between their Kerbals, that's up to them. :) I think building your own backstory and personalities for your crewmembers makes you more attached to them so it's upsetting if you kill them. I have personalities in my mind for the four orange suits but I imagine the Kerbals as an asexual race so there are no romantic Kerbal relationships in my mind.

On 2016. 02. 15. at 5:47 AM, razark said:

Why does one feel the need to make up relationships that have no reason for being between beings that don't exist?

'kuz They look kute together.

On a serious note.

One might feel that They belong together for reasons undetermined.

I do not know whether You actually "shipped" some couples in your life, because It comes down to "It just feels right", If there is actually any logical reason behind It, You have to ask a neuroscientist.

I'll play along: Bill and Bob. Not that there's any sort of romantic love in my kerbalverse (as I've said several times before, Kerbfleet scientists don't really know where new kerbals come from--not surprising for a species that needed to go to the Mun to figure out how to use ladders) but my Bill and Bob have the most intimate relationship of any pair in the story (not that, if I did choose to introduce kerbal reproduction to the story, anything Bill and Bob did together would result in a baby kerbal--but you get my point...anyway...) 

As to the non-orangesuit characters, readers have paired easily forgotten pilot Gregmore with engineer and école polykerbique graduate Clauselle, and also scientist Lisa with a negative gravioli detector.

24 minutes ago, Kuzzter said:

I'll play along: Bill and Bob. Not that there's any sort of romantic love in my kerbalverse (as I've said several times before, Kerbfleet scientists don't really know where new kerbals come from--not surprising for a species that needed to go to the Mun to figure out how to use ladders) but my Bill and Bob have the most intimate relationship of any pair in the story (not that, if I did choose to introduce kerbal reproduction to the story, anything Bill and Bob did together would result in a baby kerbal--but you get my point...anyway...) 

As to the non-orangesuit characters, readers have paired easily forgotten pilot Gregmore with engineer and école polykerbique graduate Clauselle, and also scientist Lisa with a negative gravioli detector.

I always imagined Bill and Bob having a semiromantic-tension-rivalry exacerbating their engineering/science specialty conflict. Meanwhile Jeb and Val are married to the stars (and fighting over world firsts). 

Edited by Jarin

On 16-2-2016 at 7:25 PM, Jarin said:

I always imagined Bill and Bob having a semiromantic-tension-rivalry exacerbating their engineering/science specialty conflict. Meanwhile Jeb and Val are married to the stars (and fighting over world firsts). 

In my game both Jeb scored the worlds first for Duna, but when he got there, mission control figured he was now far enough away to inform him that Bob was the one to land on Duna, because someone needed to reset the experiments.

He very nearly landed the mothership on Duna in rage

Edited by Sir_Robert

On 2/16/2016 at 4:54 AM, KSK said:

I don't recall that Romeo and Juliet ever existed either. :)

With regard to KSP and fanfic in general - people like to make up stories. Their favourite games/films/books/whatevers are good sources of inspiration for those stories

Good choice! I'll pinch your premise and go for Jonton and Gerselle. They're not even kerbonauts, just two kerbals, married with a family, trying to keep things together amidst a whole bunch of exceptionally trying and unusual circumstances.

I almost read that as JonTRON instead of JonTON :wink:

2 hours ago, I_Killed_Jeb said:

It's an inherently not serious topic. Calm down please.

That was posted literally a week and a half ago. Also telling a mod to "calm down" is a great way to be paired with the nearest trash compactor. :P

On 2/16/2016 at 7:00 PM, Kuzzter said:

Kerbfleet scientists don't really know where new kerbals come from-

The mere existence of two genders, both females and males, makes it pretty clear how it works.

30 minutes ago, Vermil said:

The mere existence of two genders, both females and males, makes it pretty clear how it works.

What if Kerbals don't really have a concept of genders and the 'male' and 'female' Kerbals that we see are more like different races to them. It would be interesting. :D

31 minutes ago, Vermil said:

That's quite a presumption for an alien species, isn't it? All we really know is that there are two basic kinds of kerbal, one of which has eyelashes. Anything else is pure humanocentric speculation. :)