Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

11 minutes ago, viktor19 said:

hosted over 70% of mods for their game.

Proof please. As I've mentioned in other threads, this is the wrong figure from the wrong place.

In any case, there's no point arguing about it. Kerbalstuff is gone. As a modder you have the choice to move your mod to somewhere better. I'll guess that most modders are already moving their stuff across to another provider. Depending on how quickly people get their skates on, this storm in a teacup could be all blown over in a couple of days.

Some of the hyperbole in this thread is pretty extreme, so here are a few facts.

1. Some people do actually like Curse - there are hundreds of mods hosted with hundreds of thousands of downloads.

2. Squad did not, does not, and will never have any association or interaction with KS. It was from its inception a community site.

3. Kerbalstuff over the last few months has had increasingly poor performance. This has nothing to do with Squad.

4. Curse had nothing to do with the shutdown. KS was actually more successful than Curse, and it was not because Curse threatened cmpwn that the site went down. I have personally heard a Curse employee express sorrow at its closure.

24 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

Proof please. As I've mentioned in other threads, this is the wrong figure from the wrong place.

In any case, there's no point arguing about it. Kerbalstuff is gone. As a modder you have the choice to move your mod to somewhere better. I'll guess that most modders are already moving their stuff across to another provider. Depending on how quickly people get their skates on, this storm in a teacup could be all blown over in a couple of days.

I don't remember which post from which thread it was, but a user download the entire meta of CKAN and counted the number of mods. 

2 minutes ago, BloodDusk said:

I don't remember which post from which thread it was, but a user download the entire meta of CKAN and counted the number of mods. 

"I opened up a beta and got some modders on board, and Kerbal Stuff was very well received. It's fair to say that Kerbal Stuff decisively won the battle over Curse, providing hosting for nearly double the number of mods. It boils down to Kerbal Stuff simply being better at it. Kerbal Stuff had no ads for its entire lifetime, emailed users when their mods updated, and cared more about the modders and the players."

There

2 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

Dammit, where can I get mods now. I refuse to use curse out of principle.

Nowhere until modders temporarily go dropbox or until the new reboot goes online. There is talk on reddit that someone is planning to put it up on their server.

5 minutes ago, Spartwo said:

All the places you were able to get mods before KerbalStuff went pop. Github, dropbox, mod authors' own servers... there were very, very few people who exclusively hosted on KerbalStuff (or Curse, come to think of it), and I'm hoping they are realising their rather drastic mistake about now.

Edited by technicalfool
Or Curse

2 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

People in the #ckan IRC channel are moving really fast getting the Kerbal Stuff reboot up and running. Seems only a matter of tweaks and getting the domain and mods moved over and it'll be ready.

Looks like everyone is doing it, perhaps we should somehow mirror these together.

As long as this is dependent on an individual, the history will repeat - the individual gets burnt out and shuts down everything. While the #ckan project is a quick solution, it is temporary at best, again depending on an individual's goodwill.

A more permanent solution that is not dependent on individual's mood needs to be devised. In fact, we already have one such option - Curse. Quite a few people dislike it, however, so I expect the community to hit heads together to find a stable solution. CKAN and Github for hosting is such an option, I believe, though I'm not sure about Github's hosting policy. I am also concerned about Github's policies as of late.

We'll see how things go. The following days are going to be interesting.

Edited by Mipe

4 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

All the places you were able to get mods before KerbalStuff went pop. Github, dropbox, mod authors' own servers... there were very, very few people who exclusively hosted on KerbalStuff, and I'm hoping they are realising their rather drastic mistake about now.

"Mistake", as if I as a modder had an obligation to make the mod available...

If there is an option that suits me as a modder, I choose it, if not, that is not really my problem.

Edited by Yemo

3 minutes ago, Mipe said:

As long as this is dependent on an individual, the history will repeat - the individual gets burnt out and shuts down everything. While the #ckan project is a quick solution, it is temporary at best, again depending on an individual's goodwill.

A more permanent solution that is not dependent on individual's mood needs to be devised. In fact, we already have one such option - Curse. Quite a few people dislike it, however, so I expect the community to hit heads together to find a stable solution. CKAN and Github for hosting is such an option, I believe, though I'm not sure about Github's hosting policy. I am also concerned about Github's policies as of late.

We'll see how things go. The following days are going to be interesting.

NO...   Curse has no metrics like Kerbal Stuff. Why the push for Curse? I'm not posting my mod there. It is an annoying poorly laid out piece of crap, I used to write websites I know crap work when I see it. Been webcoding since 1996.

That's certainly great. Now we can have our ideal mod hosting place again.

4 minutes ago, Temeter said:

What's the issue with Curse, works fine in my experience? It's a bit messy, but that really doesn't stop you from doing anything with it.

Ads, ads and more ads, as well as a confusing interface that seems rigged in such a way to force you to commit yourself to a privacy violation. Plus, ads slow the site down, which is a big no no with people that have capped internet plans. A few modders also complained abut how Curse is slow and not user friendly.

squad sadly really screwed up on this, yes they are not to blame for the shutdown, yet they failed to response to all the things happened with common sense. Curse is from the past century and just sucks, sorry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.