Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

17 minutes ago, Aperture Science said:

Well, we can do the "Will-It-Happen?" test to find out!

The most points, the less likely!

1. Is it a community request? Check. -10

2. Do many people support it? Check. -10

3. Does it get much attention? Check.  -10

4. Is the company you're requesting to SQUAD? Check. +1000

Yep, not happening.

16 minutes ago, KasperVld said:

I do love your post here, 4 posts below mine ;)

But Kasper, Squad doesn't listen to the community what are you talking about!? /s

7 minutes ago, stupid_chris said:

I'll also chime in and thank SirCmpwn for his tireless and thankless work on Kerbalstuff. It's a great loss for the community, but I understand his motives, as the feedback received when modding is pretty similar at the end of the day. Thank you for all the time and energy you've invested in it. Hopefully it won't have been in vain and someone will be able to pick up where you've left.

Yeah, I don't think i've really said that either: Thanks @SirCmpwn, you did amazing work! <3

Even if it's 'just' 1.5 years, KerbalStuff made using KSP mods much sooo much easier after the fall of SpacePort, and it looks, as if some parts of your website live on in some replacement.

Edited by Temeter

Just now, Skylar' said:

@KasperVld Can I ask why https://kerbalstuff.com/ mentioning that at the end of their site?

"Fun fact: Squad keeps the numbers secret, but as of April 2015 the estimated copies sold of KSP on Steam were about a million. "

it looks really offence. :) 

We do not disclose sales numbers, but in April of last year the website SteamSpy used statistics to get an estimate of the numbers of copies KSP sold on Steam, as it does for all games. If Sircmpwn wants to have a stab at us for whatever reason by releasing the Steamspy estimate then he's free to do so but I don't think it's very courteous or gracious.

1 minute ago, Skylar' said:

@KasperVld Can I ask why https://kerbalstuff.com/ mentioning that at the end of their site?

"Fun fact: Squad keeps the numbers secret, but as of April 2015 the estimated copies sold of KSP on Steam were about a million. "

it looks really offence. :) 

Just compare SirCmpwn's text and KasperVld's post on last site. Seems to be more of a misunderstanding.

2 hours ago, KasperVld said:

I do love your post here, 4 posts below mine ;)

I didn't even see it at the time I posted it, since I was on the page where I found the post I quoted.

Fun fact: Searching for "curse.com/" on the KSP forums gives you 81 results. Searching for "kerbalstuff.com/", however, gives you 261 results. Yep. Most mods were hosted in curse. Definetively.

Edited by Guest

Weak answer Kaspervid.  Better would have been to offer to reach out to KerbalStuff and offer to take over the platform as a officially part of Kerbal.  You benefit from the community, but are not willing to give a little back.  This is highly unfortunate.

13 minutes ago, DocUrlaub said:

Weak answer Kaspervid.  Better would have been to offer to reach out to KerbalStuff and offer to take over the platform as a officially part of Kerbal.  You benefit from the community, but are not willing to give a little back.  This is highly unfortunate.

Aside from all the legal difficulties (for example: people who registered with KerbalStuff never agreed to have their account data shared with Squad) we already offer a mod repository in partnership with Curse. It makes no sense to compete with a platform we support. Furthermore, Kerbalstuff has always been a community website and it was initiated and marketed as such. Finally, any move to take it over now would cause problems with the community initiative that's already being undertaken to create a new version of KerbalStuff. Oh and then there's the logistics of acquiring hosting for the website, moderators and admins to moderate the new and existing content on the website et cetera.

If taking over Kerbal Stuff were to be a viable option we needed to have been notified a long time prior to the website shutting down, which didn't happen.

What I'm really trying to say is that it's far more complicated than people might think initially.

Now that the best KSP modding site is down we have to go back to the horrid curse that is Curse.com. I almost guarantee you that interest for mod creators will go down as well as peoples interest for mods will go down. And my respect for Squad has even gone down I mean come on, perusing he community for using the word Kerbal? Complete and utter bull crap. Lets hope KerbalStuff gets put back up again so we can avoid Curse.com once and for all.

3 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

Now that the best KSP modding site is down we have to go back to the horrid curse that is Curse.com. I almost guarantee you that interest for mod creators will go down as well as peoples interest for mods will go down. And my respect for Squad has even gone down I mean come on, perusing he community for using the word Kerbal? Complete and utter bull CRAP. Lets hope KerbalStuff gets put back up again so we can avoid Curse.com once and for all.

NOW that word fits.

But we shouldn't blame it on Squad though. It's entirely our fault.

Edited by Matuchkin

2 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

And my respect for Squad has even gone down I mean come on, perusing he community for using the word Kerbal?

Not sure how many times the moderators or Squad staff need to repeat this, but the Kerbalstuff author was not threatened. He was, to the best of my knowledge, told to not pass himself off as official.

I'd call that pretty reasonable.

5 minutes ago, RYU AZUKU99 said:

And my respect for Squad has even gone down I mean come on, perusing he community for using the word Kerbal? Complete and utter bull crap.

Indeed, we never sought legal action and I highly disagree with Sircmpwn's interpretation of the situation. Sadly, the message on kerbalstuff.com remains very one-sided and is easily accepted as the one truth.

5 hours ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Don't forget to sign up for your premium account on Curse guys! Only 3 bucks a month! Make sure you download the client too! :rolleyes:

I just visited the site for the first time in ages, and it's basically one giant obnoxious pink T-mobile ad. Oh and another thing...which one of these websites are we actually supposed to be using? http://www.curse.com/shareables/kerbal or http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ They are both different, and seem to feature different content organized in different manners...not confusing at all is it?

...I hate to say it but I think we should boycott Curse as a community. I hope this KerbalStuff alternative works out.

I've been boycotting Curse since its transcription. KS was a site made by someone in the community who knew how important it was to create a site that was simple, elegant, and easy to use. None of that [snip] "Oh looks like you gotta wait to download your mod! But if you pay us we can get rid of that for you"

Im kinda freaking out that now things like KerbalX are going to go down the same road eventually.

58 minutes ago, lukethecoder64 said:

I have an idea.

So, anybody heard of github pages? Its a free hosting service (with no bandwidth limit) provided by github. Perhaps we (the community) could port KS over to github pages? I'd be hard, but its worth it in the end.

Tell me what you think.

Head over to here to chat with the people trying to get the site back up. https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.esper.net

Hope that link works for you!

2 hours ago, KasperVld said:

We do not disclose sales numbers, but in April of last year the website SteamSpy used statistics to get an estimate of the numbers of copies KSP sold on Steam, as it does for all games. If Sircmpwn wants to have a stab at us for whatever reason by releasing the Steamspy estimate then he's free to do so but I don't think it's very courteous or gracious.

If Squad really pursued legal action against him as he claims, courteous and gracious are not behaviors that should be expected.

34 minutes ago, Randazzo said:

If Squad really pursued legal action against him as he claims, courteous and gracious are not behaviors that should be expected.

See this post.

Edit: Sircmpwn removed the legal action statement from his message on kerbalstuff.com

It's great that the KS assets were all released for someone to pick up, this community is so active and talented it's no surprise that it's practically up and running already. Honestly, Curse, KS, and Git are all good in my book- it's the weird oddball hosts, even Dropbox, I tend to avoid unless it looks like a really good mod and it's done by a reputable member.

Squad is a company making a commercial game, and to use a commercial service like Curse makes a lot of sense. I think it was a good decision to use a provider that specializes in this particular type of website and offers 24/7 support. I don't get why people hate Curse, you go there, click the DL button, get your zip, and get back to playing.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

i don't mean do be against the community more than against squad but if you read though you would notice that no one was appreciating his work his fixes exc. so if we start up a new kerbal stuff we need to not complain as much as we did

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.