Kerbal Stuff Closed to the public

Rigel Agar

4 minutes ago, przybysz86 said:

My understanding is that all mods from KS are on torrent now and source code is available so it should be possible to get everything back

The database is a bit tangly. Not sure if SirCmpwn promised not to share users' personal data, if he did he's honor-bound not to turn over all those email addresses and user accounts.

Just now, McPoisoned said:

I'd be really disappointed if Squad doesn't post an official statement because of this, they ignored Kerbalstuff for way too long imo.

Yup even when it had TWICE the number of fans Squad blatantly ignored it and refused to even mention it..

7 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

@katateochiCurse is universally hated by the KSP community.

You do not speak for me. I'll speak for myself. Or perhaps you think that people who disagree with you aren't part of the community. Either way, no one voted you the spokesman for me.

Edited by Otis

Kasper mentioned KerbalStuff as an alternative to Mediafire.

Also don't forget KerbalStuff was a 3rd part fansite, Squad does not have to issue public statements on any fan sites that their owner shuts down.

Oh also I hear kspstuff will be the way to go anyway, long live kspstuff!

6 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Curse is universally hated by the KSP community. 

No it was not. I never hated it.  Disliked it because of ads sure, but that is what an adblocker is for.

6 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Spaceport was ace, Kerbal stuff was ace, Curse is a monster consisting of adverts and poor, poor community features. I truly hope the kerbal side of it dies due to lack of users.

....( cur out for brevity)

Let's come together and slay the ugly 'Cursed' beast.

Once again adblockers if you dont like the ads.  And it wont die unless SQUAD decides to do it because of things like contracts.

Just now, Otis said:

You do not speak for me. I'll speak for myself. Or perhaps you think that people who disagree with you aren't part of the community. Either way, no one voted you the spokesman for me.

The fact remains the community voted with numbers, and the numbers spoke. Let's not get carried away ok.

Just now, sal_vager said:

Kasper mentioned KerbalStuff as an alternative to Mediafire.

Sorry, i did not know this.

Edited by Majorjim

12 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Also don't forget KerbalStuff was a 3rd part fansite, Squad does not have to issue public statements on any fan sites that their owner shuts down.

They certainly do not have to. However, since it was extremely popular, arguably much more popular than the official mods site, it is peculiar not to issue any statement. If only just to show the community you know what they actually care about, and maybe show a little appreciation to someone spending a lot of effort supporting your game for free. We all know KSP would not be half what it is today without mods and the countless people that spend an even less countable amount of hours of their own time making it all a little bit better.

Edited by Camacha

5 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Oh also I hear kspstuff will be the way to go anyway, long live kspstuff!

I don't think this is what you mean https://www.instagram.com/kspstuff/?hl=en ;) 

Is the KSPstuff you mention the same as this http://spacedock.info/ or do we have two possible resurections in play?

9 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Curse is universally hated by the KSP community. Kerbal stuff had TWICE the number of Mods and users. Guys the community has spoken do right by your fans on this one please.

Spaceport was ace, Kerbal stuff was ace, Curse is a monster consisting of adverts and poor, poor community features. I truly hope the kerbal side of it dies due to lack of users.

And I implore the community to support the bedroom site devs such as @katateochi and his wonderful KerbaX site. Donate, give feedback and use it! Let's come together and slay the ugly 'Cursed' beast.

Well, not universally hated. I'd always prefer KerbalStuff over Curse, but it's good to know we got a workable 'backup'-site while the better community efforts go up and down, like they did with KerbalStuff.

Look at it this way: Without curse, we'd be really screwed right now. ;)

And as it look, the community is already going on about how to creating new alternatives. Curious what's happening there.

9 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The database is a bit tangly. Not sure if SirCmpwn promised not to share users' personal data, if he did he's honor-bound not to turn over all those email addresses and user accounts.

Even if he didn't textually promise, it would be proper to keep e-mail and account data out of the download, especially for someone at work at a hosting provider.

6 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Squad doesn't have to do anything. But since they choose to regularly acknowledge even tiny user-made contributions to KSP's community (like twitch broadcasts and fan art), surely it is not unreasonable to expect them to have a few words to say on a major user-made contribution to the community...

7 minutes ago, B787_300 said:

Once again adblockers if you dont like the ads.  And it wont die unless SQUAD decides to do it because of things like contracts.

Curse has no ads. At least no when you follow the link provided by Squad. I think that's part of the issue.

“I will never visit my mom, she lives too far away.”
“What are you talking about? She lives three blocks down the street”
“I insist on driving via Cleveland. It's too far away”
“Why would you drive over Cleveland? You can walk there”
“That's not how I roll. I drive over Cleveland. It's too far away”

That's how I feel whenever I see people complaining about ads on Curse.

Don't forget to sign up for your premium account on Curse guys! Only 3 bucks a month! Make sure you download the client too! :rolleyes:

I just visited the site for the first time in ages, and it's basically one giant obnoxious pink T-mobile ad. Oh and another thing...which one of these websites are we actually supposed to be using? http://www.curse.com/shareables/kerbal or http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ They are both different, and seem to feature different content organized in different manners...not confusing at all is it?

...I hate to say it but I think we should boycott Curse as a community. I hope this KerbalStuff alternative works out.

2 minutes ago, B787_300 said:

And it wont die unless SQUAD decides to do it because of things like contracts.

I deal with contracts all the time, there usually is an exit clause, or good faith clause. Generally it is created should either party not hold up to their end of the bargain. 

Just now, Kerbart said:

Curse has no ads. At least no when you follow the link provided by Squad. I think that's part of the issue.

“I will never visit my mom, she lives too far away.”
“What are you talking about? She lives three blocks down the street”
“I insist on driving via Cleveland. It's too far away”
“Why would you drive over Cleveland? You can walk there”
“That's not how I roll. I drive over Cleveland. It's too far away”

That's how I feel whenever I see people complaining about ads on Curse.

Squad banned mediafire although that had no ad problems when people used adblock.

Just now, Rocket In My Pocket said:

Don't forget to sign up for your premium account on Curse guys! Only 3 bucks a month! Make sure you download the client too! :rolleyes:

I just visited the site for the first time in ages, and it's basically one giant obnoxious pink T-mobile ad. Oh and another thing...which one of these websites are we actually supposed to be using? http://www.curse.com/shareables/kerbal or http://kerbal.curseforge.com/ They are both different, and seem to feature different content organized in different manners...not confusing at all is it?

...I hate to say it but I think we should boycott Curse as a community. I hope this KerbalStuff alternative works out.

The http://kerbal.curseforge.com/  is the one with no ads. 

1 hour ago, BloodDusk said:

Maybe he works for Curse. Much like that lovely incident at KVR, where an employer of Arturia, using another alias, started bad mouthing the products of GForce Software until the owner of GForce pointed what was happening.

Well, don't just take my word for it:

<jadedcat> Technicalfool:   that would get a Curse employee fired.

1 hour ago, Klungi said:

Squad really screwed over a great contributor to the community, lost a lot of respect for them, Kerbalstuff was awesome, where I got all my mods. 

You're blaming people who have nothing to do with KerbalStuff. The original owner could have handed over control in an organised manner and avoided any downtime. It could have been a largely invisible handover except maybe for an "under new management" banner.

For whatever reason, he didn't do that. His choice. Not mine, yours, nor of any Squad employee.

4 minutes ago, technicalfool said:

You're blaming people who have nothing to do with KerbalStuff. The original owner could have handed over control in an organised manner and avoided any downtime. It could have been a largely invisible handover except maybe for an "under new management" banner.

For whatever reason, he didn't do that. His choice. Not mine, yours, nor of any Squad employee.

Yes but Squad is ultimately to blame for all this because they clearly don't listen to the community.

4 minutes ago, Rocket In My Pocket said:

I think it's far more likely the average user is going to end up on the main Curse page when google searching "curse" or "curse mods" so this is kind of a moot point.

So we're complaining that Squad is using an "ad laden site" to host mods even though they're providing a link that leads uses to an ad-free site, because users choose to not use that link?

What's next, complaining that there are no good instructions on how to play it because they decided to watch Pewdiepie's videos instead of Scott Manley's?  The option to experience mods on Curse without ads is there. It's not even hidden. If people choose to take the ad-route anyway, they shouldn't complain.

Allow me share my story...

Before KSP I followed the path that many follow. Orbiter. Space Engine. I heard of KSP but couldn't bring myself to try something that, in my naive mind, was a children's computer game. Fast forward a year or so. 1.0.5 released and a friend again tried to get me to at least try the demo. I wasn't having it.

Then one day during a surfing session reading and looking at this and that...I come across this image of a stunning Lunar lander. Clicking the image took me to KerbalStuff where I was greeted with the FASA mod. FASA pushed me to try KSP once just to prove it to myself that I wouldn't like it.

And thus began a storied KSP career of love, sacrifice, and mod after mod after mod. I pretty quickly stopped using FASA but I never stopped using KerbalStuff.

The sense of "community" and the giving nature of the modders and KerbalStuff hosting were not lost on me. I downloaded every single 1.0.5 compatible mod from KerbalStuff and I checked the "Recently Updated Mods" page daily for the past 2 months that I've been enjoying the challenges offered by KSP. KerbalStuff will live on in my mind as the single entity that changed my perspective of KSP forever and I'm saddened that a part of my daily KSP "ritual" is gone forever.

Edited by Rybo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.