Update 1.1 and Probe Telemetry

Noname115

Probe Telemetry  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Should SQUAD have kept probe telemetry in 1.1?

• Yes!
    • I'm not sure / I didn't really care about it
    • No!

Your question is still a little vague.

"Should squad have included probe telemetry in 1.1"? - In an ideal world yes.

"Should squad have included probe telemetry in 1.1 at the expense of a rock solid Unity 5 upgrade?" - Absolutely not.

In my opinion, we NEED a stable Win64 client. We NEED performance improvements. We NEED bugfixes. We (well, I anyway) would LIKE probe telemetry. Sometimes you have to put aside what you want, and go with what you need to do.

It seems to me, those of us who want this are probably already running RemoteTech/AntennaRange anyway, so we aren't missing out. We've been waiting for 1.1 for nearly a year now (not complaining, just a fact). The sooner the better IMO.

Edited by severedsolo

Hey everyone. First I want to thank you all for discussing this topic very well (as in no slashing each other). Secondly, every one of you have been brining up very valid points in regards to the changes. Personally, I'd like to say that you all have made me clear my head in coming to terms with Squad's decision. I will admit, when I made this post, I was a little clouded with my judgement due to me being a little too angry; I apologize for that. In the long run, I enjoy interacting with this community, as I believe it to be one of the best out there. You may still discuss the topic in this thread, I just wanted to get this message out there. -Happy launchings, Noname115

A thought on this...

Given that this feature us not in 1.1, but will be included in (presumably) the not too distant future.  It sort of makes sense to prepare for it in the larger plans we may have made for 1.1 so that we don't get caught without an antenna in a future update and our critical probes no longer work.

To this end, is there any current info on how the system will work, and in particular what we can do to build in preparations for it in our current plans to minimise disruption? 

I personally don't really care about SQUAD's telemetry.. i will always use RemoteTech. I only wish SQUAD would stop changing gameplay elements like that since official release.. these things should have been taken care of in beta.

47 minutes ago, pandaman said:

A thought on this...

Given that this feature us not in 1.1, but will be included in (presumably) the not too distant future.  It sort of makes sense to prepare for it in the larger plans we may have made for 1.1 so that we don't get caught without an antenna in a future update and our critical probes no longer work.

To this end, is there any current info on how the system will work, and in particular what we can do to build in preparations for it in our current plans to minimise disruption? 

Since it isn't finished, I suppose we can't be sure just how it will work. Indications are that it will be more like AntennaRange, rather than RemoteTech.

1.1 has always been the 'we messed up, here's the REAL ready-for-release KSP' version.  Anything else that we have seen added to the game or planned to be added to the game were probably done by devs that were not part of the Unity 5 transition.  Squad probably wanted to have probe telemetry added to the game at some point, but never was it that 1.1 would be 'the probe telemetry patch'.  Roverdude's amazing skills couldn't just sit idly by while the other devs did the rework unity rework.  He started on this project and got it to a point worth discussing with the community.  The number one goal (overall stability) for 1.1 is nearing completion and remains the top priority when calculating deadline and release.  You may even be able to look at it as if Roverdude was able to get a head start on a project for a future patch while this one was finished up.

1 hour ago, DJK said:

I personally don't really care about SQUAD's telemetry.. i will always use RemoteTech. I only wish SQUAD would stop changing gameplay elements like that since official release.. these things should have been taken care of in beta.

"Official release" isn't exactly correct. It technically is, but Squad is going to add elements like this for a long time, and I'm glad. I'd hate to see development stop so soon. They probably couldn't get around to telemetry just yet.

The removal of that remote tech light stock feature is imho the best news about 1.1 so far.

It means squad and the modding community can fully concentrate on making ksp and mods work with unity 5 for and immediately after patch 1.1, without having to deal with the ambiguity, preferences and misunderstandings such a new feature would bring on top of that. Just remembering atmo/heat model changes in 1.0...

• 1 month later...

I would like to have the telemetry things since i like probes a lot. I spent so many hour on creating those network relays with remotetech... I wish probes would be more useful in stock game. And telemetry is a good thing for that. But it is ok if you think about it this way "SQUAD is preparing the ground, migrating to a new engine version. All the cookies later and better backed up." Also the performance improvements are so big, that you can install SO much more mods including those which adds functionality that is not implemented yet. Running 80 mods on linux can be difficult. I am sure Windows users will be happy with 1.1 even without those "sweet cookies/features" no matter what.

Edited by Ghostt

We have sort of been here before with 1.0.5 where Squad had a bunch of stuff that had been planned for 1.1 that was ready to go but the big back end upgrade wasn't ready yet. They gave us 1.0.5 with some nice features and improvements, and many of us have enjoyed it. If it's a choice between getting Unity 5 and 64 bit now and waiting for telemetry or still waiting for telemetry knowing that the Unity 5 and 64 bit is ready to go but being held back, I'm all for releasing what is ready now with a few features delayed rather than having all features delayed.

Edited by rcp27
Typo

A few delayed features also means an opportunity to ensure the stability of 1.1 without the added risk of new untried game play elements clouding the picture.  Much as I'd love to see lots of cool new stuff, ensuring a good solid foundation is the most important at this stage.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.