Air Speed Record Challenge (No Cheats)

Welp, time to dust off my old ship from a couple of versions back that I used to takeoff with such force that it would hurl itself to Duna.  I removed extra parts like the nuke engines, science equipment, & jet fuel.  It still carries 2 drogue chutes and an MKI antenna (or whatever the low tech one is called).

Ship's name is: liquid fuel only produciton MKIIf

but pay no attention to its name since it was modified to carry a little oxidizer for the last leg of its flight.  Note that the 1st image is from an earlier attempt & the last 2 are from a later one.

Edited by evader

hOW on earth is that Hydra's nose cone not exploding when going 2.6km per second at less then 30k?

EDIT oh wait it did explode lol

First let me say that craft is really cool, but It may be a better challenge if you make a rule that the craft needs to be able to turn around and land after reaching the top speed, to prove that it is still airworthy after going so fast

Edited by fireblade274

1 hour ago, Spudrotuskutarsu said:

Here's my submission, 2628m/s with my DS X1 "Shooting Star"

I used KER for heat readout, .Craft file if you are interested to try it yourself https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8gm6ehevz135cf/DS%20X1%20MK2_0.craft?dl=0 (Warning doesn't like taking off)

Impressive, I like the design of the craft too.

Edited by AquaAlmond Productions

May I make an overall suggestion to this challenge?

"Pilots must SURVIVE and land safety at conclusion."

Making a plane that shreds itself and then measuring its speed right before it detonates like a bomb is too easy. Having is survive would be MUCH more challenging in terms of managing drag, picking the correct parts, and correct me if I'm wrong, but no one ever figured suicide missions into records.

That being said, lets see what can be done..

3 hours ago, Raideur Ng said:

May I make an overall suggestion to this challenge?

"Pilots must SURVIVE and land safety at conclusion."

Making a plane that shreds itself and then measuring its speed right before it detonates like a bomb is too easy. Having is survive would be MUCH more challenging in terms of managing drag, picking the correct parts, and correct me if I'm wrong, but no one ever figured suicide missions into records.

That being said, lets see what can be done..

Mine actually doesn't blow up immediately after because it's on an accent trajectory, I could have landed it afterwards with the amount of lift avilable to me if that was required.

The core stage is all made of 2400 degree parts so it's not that much of a suicide mission.

Welp, I guess we all have to use autopilots if we want the top score. Theres no way to stay below 30 km without constant inputs to not break that rule. Hard to take a snapshot while you're fighting not to be in orbit.

Edit: And not losing objects during flight. I've managed 2943 m/s without losing any parts, but just barely. Not ready to post a submission. Honestly, if we're allowed to explode ourselves away, its less of a challenge.

Edited by Raideur Ng

8 minutes ago, Raideur Ng said:

Welp, I guess we all have to use autopilots if we want the top score. Theres no way to stay below 30 km without constant inputs to not break that rule. Hard to take a snapshot while you're fighting not to be in orbit.

Edit: And not losing objects during flight. I've managed 2943 m/s without losing any parts, but just barely. Not ready to post a submission. Honestly, if we're allowed to explode ourselves away, its less of a challenge.

How can it be less of a challenge when people are competing against each other under the same rules? If we're talking about complexity it's more of a challenge because you have to make them explode at the right time. Too early you loose fuel too late you slow yourself down with drag. Where as in a no damage situation you just use the strongest parts and don't have to worry about any of that.

Just because you didn't read the rules carefully and failed to take advantage of all the tools at your disposal doesn't make those tools bad.

Also Autopilot doesn't work at sub-orbital flight paths. So please stop complaining and improve your designs.

Edited by JW2016

So after burning off quite a few noses I finally found the perfect solution: The "Clamp-o-tron" Shielded Docking Port, 2600/2600 K.

It does get hot, but it won't explode.

dKjPZPj.png

iIBPsqV.png

Open them up and you got airbrakes ! :cool:

zrDtfb5.png

58cEopi.png

I just started this so I think I can improve it. ^_^

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 8:08 PM, Atlanticrash said:

Glad the rules were changed so we couldn't disable heat!  Regardless, the Hydra Mk II is back and with a few modifications it performs surprisingly well, achieving a max speed of 2,536 m/s!  I think I can get it past 2,600 with a bit more work ;)

Disqualified, LV-909 Terrier Liquid Fuel Engine on crash report on last picture.

36 minutes ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

Disqualified, LV-909 Terrier Liquid Fuel Engine on crash report on last picture.

That was a rocket I had on the launch pad (titled Cheep ship).  The report specifically says that the terrier (and a sepatron and LF tank) collided on the launchpad, whereas the Hydra was on the runway.  In fact, the first screen shot of the Hydra is at 0:11, and you can see no visible explosions.  I think this stemmed from the fact I saw the rocket blow up and quickly switched to it during takeoff.  Regardless, I'll redo the challenge, hopefully with a faster speed ;)

Well non-robot creatures, this is probably a mean way to get views but this is my record: 2100 m/s

NO CHEATS/MODS THAT CHANGE ANYTHING; ONLY A MOD THAT STOPS MY GAME FROM CRASHING AFTER EACH LOADING SCREEN: TemperatureGaugeKiller

speed: 1.75x. editing program: Windows movie maker

Edited by Chocolat Oreos
Other video was corrupted

4 hours ago, Chocolat Oreos said:

Well non-robot creatures, this is probably a mean way to get views but this is my record: 2100 m/s

NO CHEATS/MODS THAT CHANGE ANYTHING; ONLY A MOD THAT STOPS MY GAME FROM CRASHING AFTER EACH LOADING SCREEN: TemperatureGaugeKiller

speed: 1.75x. editing program: Windows movie maker

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.