Take the 64-Bit Pledge!

JedTech

Take the 64-Bit Pledge!  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pledge to use 64-bit KSP v1.1 even if 32-bit KSP is "more stable"?

• I Pledge to use 64-bit KSP v1.1 even if 32-bit KSP seems more stable
    • I will use whatever edition works best for me
    • I decline to answer because my brainz r having more to say about the fundamental.....
    • I plan on using 32-bit KSP v1.1

We are all very excited for the 64-bit upgrade included in KSP v1.1!

But will it last? What will happen if the 32-bit edition is seen as more stable or as less buggy?

If users and modders make the mass exodus back to 32-bit, I worry that 64-bit will not get the attention it needs. Modders may drop support 64-bit. Squad may mark 64-bit as "experimental" or "unstable". The universe as we know it may collapse into a singularity. Or I might be worrying too much and none of these things will be an issue. What do you think? Either way, think about taking the 64-bit pledge:

Pledge to stay on 64-bit KSP v1.1:

• Pledge to hang on during the rough times.
  • Pledge to report the bugs and provide useful information to help Squad iron out the issues.
  • Pledge to support 64-bit in your mods.

Or don't take the pledge, that's up to you :)

Edited by JedTech

Ok, fine. Against my better judgment, since lightening the tone of this thread doesn't seem to be helping (also, do check the spelling Starwaster used, it ain't that):

As a modder, I will see how stable any official x64 builds are and, if they are stable, I will of course unlock my mods for them. And happily use them. I challenge anyone to find *any* of the lockers who would not do that. Unless you mean to insinuate that the purpose of locking is anything other than preventing bugginess and can't-be-fixed support requests.

As a dev, I of course make every effort to make KSP stable, but I am not in a position (in more ways than one) to comment on the stability of a platform that isn't even through QA yet.

Frankly, I don't much see the point of this thread. It was never a problem of lack of reports of bugs that made x64 impossible to fix; it was that they were not fixable by Squad, let alone by modders. Nor will continuing to use a version of KSP that is unstable do anything for you other than giving you more bad behavior and more crashes...and more grist for forum conflict.

6 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

Frankly, I don't much see the point of this thread. It was never a problem of

I anticipated such a response and made a 3rd option for it. Thanks for your fundamental analysis of the question. I find the thread most enlightening. I have not seen this conversation taking place before. I like to learn about what other people think and feel. It helps me to learn and form my own opinions.

I'm another who's been running 64-bit KSP on Linux for ages without any problems.

I just *really* hope Squad don't screw up the Linux build with KSP 1.1. I know another Unity 5 game which did just that, though the devs did patch it quickly.

I, too, am with @NathanKell on this one, although I expect this thread to go in absolutely excellent directions.  Mods will be unlocked if and only if win64 is sufficiently stable that it doesn't result in a flood of bug reports for issues in the underlying Unity engine itself that somehow, the rest of us will be expected to deal with.  Also, nice 3rd option, I too like to mock people who are seeking a nuanced option.

1 minute ago, ferram4 said:

Also, nice 3rd option, I too like to mock people who are seeking a nuanced option.

hehehe

Thanks for your post! I feel like much of the community expects v1.1 to be the final and definite version where everyone starts to use 64-bit. I'm not sure if that expectation is safe.

Just now, regex said:

This poll is useless.

^This post is so helpful. Do you perform this service for all threads?

I am finding it insightful as to how KSP 1.1 may be received by KSP players and modders. 

13 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Will there even be a 32 bit version?

I have asked but have never received or seen an official answer. I assume that there will be based on comments I've heard skirting the issue. A few commenter's in this thread have been involved in 1.1 development and have not said otherwise. Maybe we'll get an official response soon :)

I have not played KSP since mid-December because I am no longer willing to put up with its instability and lag - I just don't find that fun so I decided to lighten up and go find something else to do.  I am very hopeful that 64 bit / 1.1 will fix all that, but if it doesn't, I guess I'll just continue to lighten up... :)

Danny

3 hours ago, legoclone09 said:

I've got Linux. I already HAVE 64-bit.

I used to use Linux but switched my desktop to a Hackintosh for $REASONS, I had 64-bit but I lost it.

2 hours ago, regex said:

This poll is useless.

Yep.

All evidence points to Squad producing a usably stable 64-bit game for Windows/Mac/Linux (since Linux has been usably stable in 64-bit for years now) by going to Unity-5.  A poll will change nothing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.