Playing 1.0.5 like it's 0.90 or 0.25?

orosee

Is that an odd question? What I mean is: Is it possible to have the current editor, interface and parts but with the atmospheric behaviour (start and re-entry) of 0.25 or 0.90? Basically, I want to use launch vehicles built for the earlier versions (I have a fleet ranging from 1 ton to 300 ton payload that don't work well at all with 1.0.5) AND I want to be able to re-enter Kerbin's atmosphere at 4,000+ m/s almost vertically, decelerate through 10+g then pop open my chutes at 600m and still walk away from it. Oh, and the trajectories mod would work as it used to work :-)

I never used FAR or Deadly Reentry, so the new aerodynamics and heat models take away from the enjoyment of my game. I've seen my playtime drop from 2-6 hours per day for the years prior to "Gold" down to now perhaps 8 hours per month. This may not fix that, but I'd rather spend as little time as possible in the atmosphere (especially on reentry).

So either this is just something I overlooked in the settings, or impossible. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Brainlord Mesomorph said:

Here's to pancake lifters!

Hehe. Not quite a pancake, but I was reminded of this beauty while browsing through old versions of the game I kept around.

2b8fmo.jpg

Notice how you used to be able to steer through the souposphere with nose fins :cool:

This picture is from 0.19. I believe this design was still flying in my fleet as late as 0.25)

Edited by Randox

Right, I forgot about the Debug menu which I've never, ever used (*cough* *cough*)... Definitely worth a try.

I really loved the non-aerodynamic, wider-than-tall, asparagus-staged rockets. It just seems to be more... "Kerbal" for the atmosphere to behave like soup. And also, for certain missions (like satellite or station maintenance), I find myself stuck in the atmosphere during take-off and re-entry far too long, even with 4x warp on.

Basically, for me "people" have true aerodynamics and re-entry heating and a real solar system, but Kerbals have soup, survive 15g of deceleration and build rockets that are sometimes more fun to watch explode rather than make orbit.

Thank you for the replies, I'm really not a fan of using the debug menu but let's see if that can rekindle my passion. Or maybe 5 years of KSP are about the limit for me.

On 2/17/2016 at 6:07 AM, *Aqua* said:

Flying in the souposphere is easier. I can see why some people like that.

I would love if there actually was a souposphere.  A part of the atmosphere/planet where that layer was prominently made of delicious soup.  Do you think the magic boulder was actually a giant bouillon cube?  And it went away when someone used it? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.