[1.1.2][BDA 0.11.0.1] MalFunc Weaponry - [R09]:MK29 Launcher and Friends - May 04

Themorris

I love the VLS parts! But I am experiencing an issue where unless my target is directly overhead. the missiles will not lock on. Once my target passes directly above the ship it will lock on and pull some seriously amazing maneuvers to try and catch the plane. So I know the guidance works perfectly, but the missiles field of view just isn't enough to see the target. Is this a known issue?

6 hours ago, V8jester said:

I love the VLS parts! But I am experiencing an issue where unless my target is directly overhead. the missiles will not lock on. Once my target passes directly above the ship it will lock on and pull some seriously amazing maneuvers to try and catch the plane. So I know the guidance works perfectly, but the missiles field of view just isn't enough to see the target. Is this a known issue?

I think that's just a limitation of firing vertically in KSP. I know that radar-lock missiles won't track their target unless it's overhead, laser guided won't find the 'beam' to track, but GPS guided missiles work fine. (At least this has been my experience.)

2 hours ago, XOC2008 said:

think that's just a limitation of firing vertically in KSP. I know that radar-lock missiles won't track their target unless it's overhead, laser guided won't find the 'beam' to track, but GPS guided missiles work fine. (At least this has been my experience.)

I've never had any problems with firing PAC-3's vertically.

6 minutes ago, sashan said:

I've never had any problems with firing PAC-3's vertically.

Now is that, from a VLS clipped into a ship? I tried that and it blew up. But the same situation works with the missiles in this pack, they just won't track a target unless it's right above the VLS tube (as far as I have seen anyway)

14 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Now is that, from a VLS clipped into a ship? I tried that and it blew up. But the same situation works with the missiles in this pack, they just won't track a target unless it's right above the VLS tube (as far as I have seen anyway)

No, that was from my DIY vertical launch cells:
 12508967_835625219893478_471383634485320

7 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Very nice! What was your part count on that one?

Around 250 plus 40 or so missiles.

Btw, I've just got ESM missile pull my craft upside down. It got stuck in the cell. Any advices on fixing it?

13 hours ago, V8jester said:

Which targeting radar are you using? The panel radars have good coverage, but don't do directly overhead. Use the STIR's and you should find your problems to be no more.

2 hours ago, Thatdude253 said:

Which targeting radar are you using? The panel radars have good coverage, but don't do directly overhead. Use the STIR's and you should find your problems to be no more.

Oh sorry, I meant to say...

The radar will lock the target just fine. I also tried with legacy targeting enabled. But I am unable to shoot a land based target with a VLS launched missile. I believe it is more to do with how the VLS is a turret and it is not actually aimed at the intended target, unless that target is flying directly across the VLS's point of aim (straight up)

I wonder if switching the guidance to GPS would have any effect on this? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not an expert on BD's missile guidance, I tend to stumble my way through more often than not.

50 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Oh sorry, I meant to say...

The radar will lock the target just fine. I also tried with legacy targeting enabled. But I am unable to shoot a land based target with a VLS launched missile. I believe it is more to do with how the VLS is a turret and it is not actually aimed at the intended target, unless that target is flying directly across the VLS's point of aim (straight up)

I wonder if switching the guidance to GPS would have any effect on this? I wouldn't think so, but I'm not an expert on BD's missile guidance, I tend to stumble my way through more often than not.

GPS guided missiles, from my experimenting, work fine fired from the VLS, and hit their targets on land. (Okay, all I've tried is PEW's Tomahawk, but it works.)

1 hour ago, XOC2008 said:

GPS guided missiles, from my experimenting, work fine fired from the VLS, and hit their targets on land. (Okay, all I've tried is PEW's Tomahawk, but it works.)

Well that fixes my guidance issue thanks man. But.... The Tomahawk will blow up if clipped into a ship with the a VLS tubes. Is there a way to modify existing missiles to work in a VLS tube? Or is this accomplished in Unity?

Well for now I converted the missiles to gps guidance this seems to work perfect for my purposes. I can designate targets with a predator and then launch an attack from sea. I really do love the VLS pods :) Now one last question. I can't offset the tubes flat against a surface and fire. If I set them flush they either wont fire or make little pieces out of my destroyer. I'm using them with the Large Boat Parts Mod. Which everyone swears works just fine with the VLS tubes. I personally think there must be a Tweakscale bug with LBP. People's results seem to be varried

For those interested I just changes these two lines on the cfg's

//homingType = aam
homingType = Cruise
//targetingType = radar
targetingType = gps

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

Well that fixes my guidance issue thanks man. But.... The Tomahawk will blow up if clipped into a ship with the a VLS tubes. Is there a way to modify existing missiles to work in a VLS tube? Or is this accomplished in Unity?

Well I tested the large tubes with the tomahawk in the tumblehome hull and as long as I hack gravity when it's dropping into the water, they don't explode or vanish. They should work out of the box, so to speak, since they have a rear node.

Hello, my VLS fire some missiles ok, and some still can't start from hull. I'm really sad it doesn't work always. It always fire with fire button, but firing all weapons throught action group is much better way to kill everyone! :D I'll edit post soon and put some screens into spoiler.

Spoiler

The VLSs with X didn't work, others do...The two which worked had bigger rocket(1 rocket) and are the bigger ones. But I finally find one important thing, ALL VLS worked after I uncheck clearance check. So it didn't check if it can fire somewhere or into wall and all worked! But there will be problems with bombs I think, if some bomb will drop before chceck if it can drop...

IS there any way to have clearance check on and still can start firing with weapon manager? I put the VLS like this by put them on hull, put missiles inside and then offset them down. As said, some work this way and some doesn't(2 of 6....) Any ideas?

Pz2AxjR.jpg

ESSM needs a few fixes. First, it flies in that zigzag pattern, second, its exhaust effect needs to be moved back a bit - it clips the missile body. The target was HARM missile FYI.
u4umEzh.jpg

Is there way to fire from VLS missiles without collision check off? Or is there way for MalFunc modder/programmer to code bypass of it? Because we can't fire VLS from hull with collision check on, and when it's off bombs will kill my planes all times.

1 hour ago, Toonu said:

Is there way to fire from VLS missiles without collision check off? Or is there way for MalFunc modder/programmer to code bypass of it? Because we can't fire VLS from hull with collision check on, and when it's off bombs will kill my planes all times.

"We" don't all have issues with this. I can fire my missiles from VLS through the hull just fine, with or without collision check. However, the NANA Sinking About mod has some config files that should, in theory, fix the problems for those people that have had this issue. I wouldn't know, the mod doesn't work for me, but like I said, I don't have any problems with VLS.

Nope NANA won't work...when I had clearance check on it didn't fire and when it was off the rockets fired, but didn't fly...it just opened VLS make an effect with fire and cloud and rocket stay in silo...

rTOwfFZ.jpg

And permanent silo fire effect....anyway action groups Ext said fail...idk why...

Maybe add this to clearance check?

@PART[THERIM-*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleClearanceCheckDisabler
	}
}

Edited by Toonu

4 hours ago, Toonu said:

Nope NANA won't work...when I had clearance check on it didn't fire and when it was off the rockets fired, but didn't fly...it just opened VLS make an effect with fire and cloud and rocket stay in silo...

And permanent silo fire effect....anyway action groups Ext said fail...idk why...

Maybe add this to clearance check?

@PART[THERIM-*]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleClearanceCheckDisabler
	}
}

The quad VLS will invert the duplicate when mirroring. You need to place one mirrored to get a templet then place left and right independently. And then remove the mirrors ones.

On March 19, 2016 at 5:44 AM, sashan said:

ESSM needs a few fixes. First, it flies in that zigzag pattern, second, its exhaust effect needs to be moved back a bit - it clips the missile body. The target was HARM missile FYI.
u4umEzh.jpg

Oh that, that's the fancy anti shoot me down avoidance system..... Ya ya, mm hmm

1 hour ago, V8jester said:

The quad VLS will invert the duplicate when mirroring. You need to place one mirrored to get a templet then place left and right independently. And then remove the mirrors ones.

Weird, I don't have any issues with missiles being inverted when mirroring my quad VLS tubes. Must depend on the missile. The ones from Malfunc's armory made to use the VLS tubes work fine mirrored.

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

No, it wasn't the problem. The problem was probably caused by NANA mod, because when I disable it, it works as before...without clearance check..But I wrote nana developer and maybe I ll get at some time working config/dll for bypass of it. Because nana sinking feature this thing. It just doesn't work for me. Just show effect of fire and cloud going from VLS but rocket will stay inside.