Units..... (the eternal battle)

Kertech

I wholeheartedly support this thread.

I also hereby request the passing modders to make a KSP plug-in that changes the ingame measurement units into FFF system. 'Furlong per fortnight' seems to be an excellent unit. For reference, speed of light is roughly 1.8 terafurlongs per fortnight (or megafurlongs per microfortnight).

Edited by Evanitis

There's a big one not listed on there; the Hitler as a measure of evil/moral wrongness. I once did a paper on comparative harshness of various criminal systems based on this unit. (A murder was either ten microhitlers or a tenth of a microhitler, I can't remember right now)

When I was in high school, my friends and I made a unit of speed and distance called the horsepace. One horsepace was around 1.5 feet, and pi mph.

6 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

There's a big one not listed on there; the Hitler as a measure of evil/moral wrongness. I once did a paper on comparative harshness of various criminal systems based on this unit. (A murder was either ten microhitlers or a tenth of a microhitler, I can't remember right now)

When I was in high school, my friends and I made a unit of speed and distance called the horsepace. One horsepace was around 1.5 feet, and pi mph.

How many hitlers would the genocide of the entire human race be? I'm thinking somewhere between a decahitler (10) and a hectohitler (100).

E: I don't feel like really mathing right now.

Edited by FungusForge

Just now, FungusForge said:

How many hitlers would the genocide of the entire human race be? I'm thinking somewhere between a decahitler (10) and a hectohitler (100).

The Hitler is presupposed on the notion that Hitler knowingly committed 10 million murders and nothing else (for simplicity's sake). Thus, complete genocide of the human race would be around 740 Hitlers. Smallpox had accumulated around 50 Hitlers before we stopped it.

You can, however, estimate the relative evil of lesser crimes by equating their punishment in a given justice system. Thus, if you killed them in especially horrible ways, or trespassed to get to them, you can increase the number of Hitlers you've committed.

42 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

The Hitler is presupposed on the notion that Hitler knowingly committed 10 million murders and nothing else (for simplicity's sake). Thus, complete genocide of the human race would be around 740 Hitlers. Smallpox had accumulated around 50 Hitlers before we stopped it.

You can, however, estimate the relative evil of lesser crimes by equating their punishment in a given justice system. Thus, if you killed them in especially horrible ways, or trespassed to get to them, you can increase the number of Hitlers you've committed.

So theorectically someone could rack up several kilohitlers of evil points. Interesting.

I must say I like this system for quantifying evil.

11 hours ago, FungusForge said:

So theorectically someone could rack up several kilohitlers of evil points. Interesting.

I must say I like this system for quantifying evil.

Thank ye.

Though you're pretty darned evil if you're approching centiHitlers. Most of the worst non-political figures barely make it to milliHitlers.

1 minute ago, Stargate525 said:

Thank ye.

Though you're pretty darned evil if you're approching centiHitlers. Most of the worst non-political figures barely make it to milliHitlers.

Clearly there's a need for a US customary equivalent system. Rather than fumbling about with milliHitlers, you could just convert to Mansons or Dahmers and simplify all of the math. :P 

9 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

Clearly there's a need for a US customary equivalent system. Rather than fumbling about with milliHitlers, you could just convert to Mansons or Dahmers and simplify all of the math. :P 

Dahmer would be annoying, since his kill count is 17, and Manson is nine... It's hard to find a mass murderer who has a) killed an even number of people, b)is well known enough to have the unit named after them, and c)is US.

If we wanted to be even worse, we could call them PHs (Pearl Harbors) or TTs (twin towers)...

6 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

Dahmer would be annoying, since his kill count is 17, and Manson is nine... It's hard to find a mass murderer who has a) killed an even number of people, b)is well known enough to have the unit named after them, and c)is US.

If we wanted to be even worse, we could call them PHs (Pearl Harbors) or TTs (twin towers)...

What does that convert in in 'Curses'?

18 minutes ago, Stargate525 said:

A Bundy might be right around 30, but we'd have to decide whether we wanted to count confessions, convictions, indictments, allegations, etc.

On 2/18/2016 at 6:01 AM, Kertech said:

I use the banana as a unit of radiation...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

35 MB (mega banana) is a lethal dose

This is using it the wrong way.

The banana isn't a value measurement; it's a fractional coefficient between 0 and 1, describing the degree to which a system has gone insane. A person, for example, can be "completely sane", "completely mad", or somewhere in between. Once you reach zero sanity, you can't get any worse.

Therefore: a system that is completely calm and ordered has a banana coefficient of zero. Whereas, a system that has, as people say, "gone completely bananas!" has a banana coefficient of 1.

That said, this thread is .478 bananas.......

On 2/19/2016 at 6:42 AM, gmpd2000 said:

Will this thread ever reach 1 Sagan replies?

If only. Problem is, Carl Sagan's genius will never be matched, so reaching 1 Sagan is impossible.

On 2/18/2016 at 10:38 AM, HebaruSan said:

Well, the Canadian unit would be (Clifford) Olson's, with a value of 11

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.