Wackier Experiments! a.k.a. more experiments not based off of real life

hieywiey

Mods like DMagic Orbital Science are absolutely awesome, but they don't fit with the rest of the stock experiments because they are based off of real life devices and instruments on existing/under construction/planning spacecraft. Stock instruments like the Mystery Goo, Science Jr. and the Negative Gravioli Detector aren't based off of any existing scientific instruments, and are therefore more "Kerbal" and therefore wacky. The silly science reports are always enjoyable (except for the infamous "You record observations about the situation." one that is used 25+ times, which I hate) and fit the Kerbal "duct tape & definitely not off-the-shelf/stolen things with fancy decorations added" attitude to engineering. So that said, I think a "less serious" version of DMagic Orb. Science would be a neat stockalike (in both aesthetic and experimental design) science experiment mod, which there aren't very many of those in active development. The only one I know of that is like what was described above is the excellent Bluedog Design Bureau by CobaltWolf.

Current ideas for experiments are:

• Egg drop experiment, although it would be cool if a plugin made the eggs spoil after a while and make green particles when spoiled. Also could be a KIS item that could be cooked/consumed.

• Observing how Snacks™ react to a situation. Description could be about how this is a real experiment that gives useful data and is definitely not a marketing stint by Snacks™ Inc.

• The "Am I Dead Yet?" Detector. Designed for use on impactor probes, gives a very small amount of science (0.25-1) upon impact. This will be unlocked in either the starting tech node or ones when the player is still not capable of reaching orbit.

Would it be possible within the code to do a marshmellow experiment that could only be done while under high speed in atmosphere?

Another one might be an ant farm maybe?  Not sure how to make it different from the Negative Gravioli Detector though.

What about a time sensitive "Grow Your Own Crystals" experiment?  Something that isn't done the moment you hit run but instead takes some time.

In the same vein as the previous one maybe a "Sea Monkeys" experiment as well?

OOH what about an experiment that you have to put a surface sample into that then has the kerbal taste it to see if its snack worthy or not?

Oh and here is another one.. One of those crappy little pinwheels you use to get as a child, strapped to the outside of a plane to test like wind speed or something?

Another one might be a simple automated match striker to test for the presence of oxygen?

That is pretty much all I got for now. hehe

I'm not sure why but I am picturing a little arm with a paddle-ball attached.

I know someone had a banana for scale experiment, that was fun. KDEX also is literally a coffee can.

Personally I think that you're going a bit too far for the whackiness. The only really whacky thing is the goo experiment, and that's because it's KSP's substitute for biological samples because, well, nobody wants to be killing animals constantly. Kerbals on the other hand...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.