Sleeker Rocket Parts

Something ive really hated myself for is that I can never realistically replicate real life rockets, and I didn't know why. Recently ive realised its because the rocket parts in ksp are extremely non-aerodynamic. they have annoying ridges and strange colour schemes, it looks like I built my rocket with the internal fuel tanks from a real rocket. something I think SQUAD should do is introduce realistic, sleek, smooth damn sexy rocket parts, like the new spaceplane parts!

Wow, OP is clueless, real rockets are made of rusty junk, unlike real SSTO spaceplanes which are made of graphine, and other modern materials. ;)

Seriously, though, the rocket parts should have been made less awful before any of the new spaceplane stuff was added, it's not like the work wasn't already done in a mod (Ven).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 8:05 PM, RocketSquid said:

...So, you want everything to be remade by Porkjet?

Yes!

On 2/19/2016 at 8:12 PM, Matuchkin said:

Here's the complete recommendation for sleek rockets: procedural parts and procedural fairings.

This is what you can do with those two mods alone:

That is good, however i want it stock!!

On 2/19/2016 at 8:16 PM, tater said:

Wow, OP is clueless, real rockets are made of rusty junk, unlike real SSTO spaceplanes which are made of graphine, and other modern materials. ;)

Seriously, though, the rocket parts should have been made less awful before any of the new spaceplane stuff was added, it's not like the work wasn't already done in a mod (Ven).

I like the new spaceplane stuff, it paves the way for better parts everywhere! (besides all i do is make aircraft because my rockets look like garbage)

On 2/19/2016 at 2:30 AM, Djolox said:

I made a thread requesting the same thing, devs told me that Porkjet is working on it.

Great! Im glad to hear that!:D

*Puts hands up*

I'z the SpaceplaneAddict, pls no hurt me, I tlk in peace pls...

Anyway, yeah, redesigns for the rocket fuselages.... damn they're overdue. But lemme clarify a certain thing. The new jet's added by Squad for 1.0.5 are very much useless for spaceplaneering. Really, I kinda wanted a larger dual-cycle engine instead of all those useless jets....... ima go think about that.....

You have the Spaceplane Freak's support!

23 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

*Puts hands up*

Anyway, yeah, redesigns for the rocket fuselages.... damn they're overdue. But lemme clarify a certain thing. The new jet's added by Squad for 1.0.5 are very much useless for spaceplaneering. Really, I kinda wanted a larger dual-cycle engine instead of all those useless jets....... ima go think about that.....

You also have the actual freak's support!

13 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

*Puts hands up*

I actually spend a lot of my time (if not all of it) making just regular old aircraft, so i love the new engines!

7 hours ago, Dreambish said:

Well, when i posted a suggestion for sleeker RCU units, Red Iron Crown said they're already working on re-doing the rocket parts visually.

Fear not, fellow Obsessive Compulsives! Thine salvation draws near.

Perfect!

Well, I hope the early parts aren't sleek. They don't need to be rusty but rivets, join lines, a bit of scuffing - that's all fine. Something that looks like a rocket you might build whilst you're still learning how to build rockets. Look at the early Atlas boosters used for Project Mercury, or any of the old Soviet stuff for example. Sleek isn't the word I would use to describe them. Functional or rugged might be.

With that said, I would like to see a sense of progression. The current aesthetic for 1.25m vs 2.5m parts is back to front in my opinion. What I would also like to have is some way for the graphical style of a given fuel tank stack to reflect the style of the largest single tank in the stack.

Say I have a tank built from two FLT-400s. It should look like two FLT-400s. But if I build a tank from an FLT-800 plus a 400, the whole tank should look like a stretched 800 tank.

I don't know how feasible that would be but it would stop your rockets looking quite as patchwork.

I'd also like some of the engine parts to look a bit more sensible. I've never seen a rocket engine that even resembles a Poodle, a Terrier or a Spark.

I realise this means a lot of work for squad, but what about multiple textures for the same parts? When you first unlock a tech node all the parts in it look a little primitive. Not rusty, but maybe more straight lines, messier and visible piping etc. Then it automatically upgrades to the next texture. Smoother curves, concealed pipework, etc. Basicaly the difference between prototypes and production models. Have the texture change over based on use. Either you unlock the next tech node, fly the part twice, or 3 in game months pass. Ships launched with prototype textures keep them, but saved crafts will use the texture available in the vab palette.

maybe even one more set for when the whole tree is unlocked thats all smooth flowing curves with no visible seams, even between seperate parts.

On 3/5/2016 at 10:22 PM, Matuchkin said:

you cannot make sleek rockets in stock.

Challenge accepted:

screenshot645.png

That said, it has been mentioned in the devnotes that Porkjet is turning his attention to updating the rocket parts visually and, given the quality of other parts he's done for KSP, I'm confident he'll make them much prettier. Not sure if it will happen for all parts in a single update or it will be done in stages, we'll have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, KSK said:

Well, I hope the early parts aren't sleek. They don't need to be rusty but rivets, join lines, a bit of scuffing - that's all fine. Something that looks like a rocket you might build whilst you're still learning how to build rockets. Look at the early Atlas boosters used for Project Mercury, or any of the old Soviet stuff for example. Sleek isn't the word I would use to describe them. Functional or rugged might be.

With that said, I would like to see a sense of progression. The current aesthetic for 1.25m vs 2.5m parts is back to front in my opinion. What I would also like to have is some way for the graphical style of a given fuel tank stack to reflect the style of the largest single tank in the stack.

Say I have a tank built from two FLT-400s. It should look like two FLT-400s. But if I build a tank from an FLT-800 plus a 400, the whole tank should look like a stretched 800 tank.

I don't know how feasible that would be but it would stop your rockets looking quite as patchwork.

I'd also like some of the engine parts to look a bit more sensible. I've never seen a rocket engine that even resembles a Poodle, a Terrier or a Spark.

I concur- however i want nice looking small rocket parts because i only play in creative.

1 hour ago, SinBad said:

I realise this means a lot of work for squad, but what about multiple textures for the same parts? When you first unlock a tech node all the parts in it look a little primitive. Not rusty, but maybe more straight lines, messier and visible piping etc. Then it automatically upgrades to the next texture. Smoother curves, concealed pipework, etc. Basicaly the difference between prototypes and production models. Have the texture change over based on use. Either you unlock the next tech node, fly the part twice, or 3 in game months pass. Ships launched with prototype textures keep them, but saved crafts will use the texture available in the vab palette.

maybe even one more set for when the whole tree is unlocked thats all smooth flowing curves with no visible seams, even between seperate parts.

I like this idea, maybe you could have something for creative mode like on engines for the tanks. (Shroud enabled/disabled, but for smooth or not smooth.)

50 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Challenge accepted:

screenshot645.png

That said, it has been mentioned in the devnotes that Porkjet is turning his attention to updating the rocket parts visually and, given the quality of other parts he's done for KSP, I'm confident he'll make them much prettier. Not sure if it will happen for all parts in a single update or it will be done in stages, we'll have to wait and see.

Great!

I think if you google early rockets in the Space Race, you will in fact find that they are sort of sleek. At the very least they don't have large rings around them like they were made of stacked oil barrels.

Can't get this to appear inline but Little Joe was kind of what I had in mind for the early parts, or Mercury-Atlas, maybe a bit less refined. They're definitely not at the stacked oildrum level but I wouldn't call em sleek either. Little Joe is something I could imagine being out together in Jeb's junkyard - no offense intended to its designers or builders! 

Edited by KSK

5 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Challenge accepted:

screenshot645.png

Very good job! Anyway, I hope KSP rockets start looking more realistic later on.

I hate to confess this, but I would actually like it if KSP gameplay was more like Orbiter's (except with the building, of course).

The stock rocket aesthetic is abysmal. Everything looks like it's made from stuff from the junkyard. I get it, that was the original take on kerbal rockets. You can argue for this, but you need to then advocate for all aircraft parts to be "junkyardized" to the same, low quality as the 2.5m rocket tanks, and Poodle engine. You can't have it both ways, pick one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, actually, there are sleek rocket parts. Look at the 3.75m parts, or a good number of the engines. Those are definitely sleek. And the Jumbo-64 tanks aren't sleek, but they aren't "junkyard", either. The FL-T800, while not sleek, is also somewhat realistic in appearance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.