bewing

(OK, another one of those "Is anyone else doing this?" threads.)

The geniuses at Mission Control suddenly made a realization. The "one unique sample" restriction with command pods is very confining -- but there is a way around it. (Perhaps we can have a discussion later in this thread comparing and contrasting Exploits vs. Cheating vs. "Utiilizing the Laws of the Game Universe to Your Advantage".)

The External Command Seat has no sample restrictions.

So, Mission Control decided to test this theory, and (as you may have realized) this is where you come in. Bob and Jeb were sent off to that wonderful spot in the nearby desert, where there are six biomes within a few km of each other to gather an enormous number of samples. After a long afternoon of doing experiments, Bob sat in the seat -- carrying far more samples than could fit in a couple pods. Jeb, being a good pal, hurried Bob back to the comforts of KSC at Mach 1.

screenshot0.png

(And most of us know how Bob feels about flying ....)

This worked out so well that our intrepid Kerbonauts were sent to that great spot near the North pole where there are eight biomes within a few km of each other. After a very hard day of collecting far more samples than would fit in two command pods, Jeb was the soul of kindness and brought Bob back at Mach 2 this time. And the external command seat has no seatbelt -- that must have been exciting!

screenshot2.png

We had to buy Bob a new pair of pants after this trip. The ones he was wearing were not considered "cleanable" anymore.

Anyway, the gang in R&D was so happy with that pile of data that we had to finish things out. Bob didn't want to go with Jeb, so we sent Bob and Val to that spot in the Badlands where the remaining four biomes all meet at a point. And Val was just as sweet as Jeb, and brought Bob back at Mach 2 again.

Bob is now catatonic for some crazy reason. The psychologist says, "His fear of flying is now deeply etched into every fiber of his being." Oh well. All the biome data at Kerbin is collected, so there is no more flying to do. When he snaps out of it, we'll stick him in an MPL and lob him into space to analyze all his data.

4 hours ago, bewing said:

The External Command Seat has no sample restrictions.

Are you sure that other command modules -have- such restriction? I'm pretty sure I never managed to fill one, and I never seen a limit mentioned. Neither the wiki has any reference for this. Hell, even an EVA kerbal can carry (and recover with) like a hundred of experiments.

I like you planes regardless, and I fully support the idea of training Bob to withstand a few Machs in a bare spacesuit.

I think he means you can have duplicates. A normal pod can hold an unlimited number of surface samples, as long as those are samples from different biomes.

He seems to be saying that I could take multiple surface samples of the same biome and store them in the command seat... I didn't know this and can't confirm at this time

3 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

I think he means you can have duplicates. A normal pod can hold an unlimited number of surface samples, as long as those are samples from different biomes.

He seems to be saying that I could take multiple surface samples of the same biome and store them in the command seat... I didn't know this and can't confirm at this time

Mostly yes, but a little no. A Kerbonaut can store an unlimited number of duplicate experimental results, just like an MPL can (with the exception of EVA reports and surface samples). The command seat does not store any science data at all. It leaves it all in the lap of the Kerbonaut.

Edited by bewing

4 hours ago, JoeNapalm said:

I don't know what Bob's problem is.

I mean, once you break the sound barrier, it would be so quiet. Serene, even. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

no, no it would not

There would be no noise from things behind him... but with the shockwave right up against his helmet visor, it would be quite loud I imagine.

He should take his helmet off then.  Problem solved.

Peace.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.