Jump to content
  • 0

Why won't this contract complete?


dborgo

Question

In career mode, I had a left over contract that dates from the last version of KSP, but now running on 1.0.5. The contract is called "Supreme Ike Four Rally" and consists of fly by's of Ike, Duna, Mun, and then "Lastly, be ready to launch your vessel from Minmus." I've got green checks on all but the last, and my ship is now landed on Minmus. What does it mean, "be ready to launch your vessel from Minmus?" I have no Kerbals on board, but should that matter? Originally, in 1.0.4 I think it ended with just a fly by of Minmus or maybe in orbit at Minmus. The contract changed slightly when upgraded to 1.0.5. Perhaps it's just broken? Any thoughts how I can get it to complete?

http://imgur.com/crKmN6q

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

He mentioned that his save was from 1.0.4 - there were some issues with serialized vessel situations between 1.0.4 and 1.0.5 that affected some contracts. If the contract generated in 1.0.4 and loaded in 1.0.5, it probably wanted him to do a Flyby of Minmus but experienced this serialization issue. Now it wants him in prelaunch state on Minmus, which is not possible. You can only be in prelaunch on Kerbin.

Either forcibly complete the contract by hitting Alt-F12 and going to the contracts tab, or upload your save here and I can fix the situation for you, allowing you to complete the contract.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 hours ago, GeneralVeers said:

Somewhere I heard that for a "flyby" contract to trigger, you have to be actually flying the ship when it hits the encounter marker and transitions from orbit of something else to orbiting the target. Give that a try?

While that's true, you do have to be in control of the vessel as it crosses the SoI boundary, that doesn't sound like @dborgo's trouble. He says that everything except the 'be ready to launch from Minmus' is checked off.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I'm really curious about what that "be ready to launch" condition means.  I've never once seen that particular criterion in the stock game.  Doesn't mean it's not there, but I've never seen it, despite having done a couple of career play-throughs since 1.0.5 arrived.  Nor have I been able to find any references to it in the forums, other than this thread.

So I have no clue what it actually means.  It seems oddly ambiguously worded-- how is "be ready to launch" any different from "be landed on", other than being more confusing and ambiguous?

Some questions to the community at large:

  • Has anyone else ever seen "be ready to launch" as a contract condition in the stock game?
  • If so, do you have any idea what it means?
  • If not, is there any chance this may be coming from some mod?

@dborgo, by any chance are you running any mods that tinker with contracts?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
14 minutes ago, Snark said:

I'm really curious about what that "be ready to launch" condition means.  I've never once seen that particular criterion in the stock game.  Doesn't mean it's not there, but I've never seen it, despite having done a couple of career play-throughs since 1.0.5 arrived.  Nor have I been able to find any references to it in the forums, other than this thread.

So I have no clue what it actually means.  It seems oddly ambiguously worded-- how is "be ready to launch" any different from "be landed on", other than being more confusing and ambiguous?

Some questions to the community at large:

  • Has anyone else ever seen "be ready to launch" as a contract condition in the stock game?
  • If so, do you have any idea what it means?
  • If not, is there any chance this may be coming from some mod?

@dborgo, by any chance are you running any mods that tinker with contracts?

I'm not running any mods that should tinker with contracts. Only Kerbal Engineer, KIS, and a couple graphical mods. I can only think the difference between "be ready to launch" and "be landed on" is requiring fuel and an engine to be present, rather than just a probe or capsule parachuting down to a surface. When I get the chance, I will make a quick save and experiment with putting the ship back into orbit. I also have a couple Kerbals in a station around Minmus. I'll pick one up and land again and see if that makes a difference. If nothing works, I will just take the advice to force the contract to complete.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, dborgo said:

I'm not running any mods that should tinker with contracts. Only Kerbal Engineer, KIS, and a couple graphical mods. I can only think the difference between "be ready to launch" and "be landed on" is requiring fuel and an engine to be present, rather than just a probe or capsule parachuting down to a surface. When I get the chance, I will make a quick save and experiment with putting the ship back into orbit. I also have a couple Kerbals in a station around Minmus. I'll pick one up and land again and see if that makes a difference. If nothing works, I will just take the advice to force the contract to complete.

Hm.  Well, that certainly makes sense... but you've got your ship there, and it certainly has fuel and an engine, yes?  So either this is a bug, or else there's something subtle about the specific meaning of "be ready to launch" that we're missing (which would still be a bug, of sorts-- just a UX bug rather than a code bug.)

@Arsonide, any comment?  Player has a contract with a "be ready to launch from Minmus" condition that won't complete.  His ship is landed on Minmus and has both fuel and engine available.  Is this a bug, or are we missing something?  What does "be ready to launch" mean, exactly?

Edited by Snark
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I know this is an old thread, but im having a similar issue. I have the mission now, except it says to finally set a crash course for kerbin. I did, I landed my ship on kerbin after completing a fly by of all required planets, but upon vessel retrieval the last part of the mission is incomplete. Does it really want me to crash the vessel into kerbin? I have  a crew member on board

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
16 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

I know this is an old thread, but im having a similar issue. I have the mission now, except it says to finally set a crash course for kerbin. I did, I landed my ship on kerbin after completing a fly by of all required planets, but upon vessel retrieval the last part of the mission is incomplete. Does it really want me to crash the vessel into kerbin? I have  a crew member on board

It's been a while since I got a contract with the "finally set a crash course for..." ending.  IIRC, it completed when I had the vessel on a trajectory that would crash - ie a Pe below the surface.   Did you get into orbit first then land?  That's my best guess for why it didn't complete.  IIRC, once I had the ship on a trajectory that would impact the target body and stopped maneuvering, it would update the contract after a few seconds, then you could use it for other things.     If you've done everything you were supposed to and it still won't complete, I would just use alt-F12 window to complete it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
20 minutes ago, fireblade274 said:

see new post i made, i had to first orbit around kerbin then deorbit, couldnt encounter kerbin and just aerobrake

 

I'm pretty sure that won't work. That's just suborbital -- that's not a crash course. Your Ap has to be outside the SOI for it to be a crash course.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...