Dusk RTG

scullyl

This mod simply adds an advanced radiothermal generator- powerful enough to power a dawn engine on it's own. To make up for the immense power increase to the basic RTG, the Dusk weighs over eleven times as much- though it still only weighs 0.9 tons. On top of the energy production, the Dusk also stores a small amount of electricity and xenon gas.  

Now on the new spacedock!

As always, the license is all rights reserved. 

I hope you all enjoy this as much as I enjoyed making it! 

Edited by scullyl
Download link added.

• 2 months later...

@Gaiiden Just out of curiosity, is the ModuleCoreHeat configured incorrectly or not functioning?  I just took a look at the cfg for this part and it's in there but having just stumbled across this for the first time I don't know if there's some weirdness going on here nor had a chance to test this yet.

Edited by rasta013

16 hours ago, Gaiiden said:

lacks heat generation, but otherwise works fine in KSP v1.1 release

I can't currently help with that, I wish I could but my computers hard drive stopped working a while ago and I haven't been able to fix it yet. I'll look into this once I get the chance! 

14 hours ago, rasta013 said:

@Gaiiden Just out of curiosity, is the ModuleCoreHeat configured incorrectly or not functioning?  I just took a look at the cfg for this part and it's in there but having just stumbled across this for the first time I don't know if there's some weirdness going on here nor had a chance to test this yet.

IIRC I just copied the info over from the stock RTG and tweaked some values, the new 1.1 heat generation effects may be different  than what was in the 1.0 config files. 

2 hours ago, scullyl said:

I can't currently help with that, I wish I could but my computers hard drive stopped working a while ago and I haven't been able to fix it yet. I'll look into this once I get the chance! 

IIRC I just copied the info over from the stock RTG and tweaked some values, the new 1.1 heat generation effects may be different  than what was in the 1.0 config files. 

Here's a fixed cfg, it was missing a couple of brackets.

Spoiler

PART

{
name = Dusk
module = Part
author = Scullyosis
mesh = model.mu
scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 1.0

node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.45, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.45, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_connect01 = 0.20, -0.04, 0.00, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_connect01 = -0.20, -0.04, 0.00, -1.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1

TechRequired = experimentalElectrics
entryCost = 87000
cost = 46600

mass = .90

category = Utility
subcategory = 0

title = Radiothermal "Dusk" Mount
manufacturer = Scullyosis Incorporated
description = A radial radiothermal generator that functions as a battery and an engine mount. It stores a modest amount of electricity and xenon gas.

attachRules = 1,1,1,1,1

RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        amount = 50
        maxAmount = 50
    }
RESOURCE
    {
        name = XenonGas
        amount = 100
        maxAmount = 100
    }

MODULE
    {
    name = ModuleGenerator
    isAlwaysActive = true
    OUTPUT_RESOURCE
    {
        name = ElectricCharge
        rate = 8.2
    }
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCoreHeat
        CoreTempGoal = 350                    //Internal temp goal - we don't transfer till we hit this point
        CoreToPartRatio = 0.1                //Scale back cooling if the part is this % of core temp
        CoreTempGoalAdjustment = 0            //Dynamic goal adjustment
        CoreEnergyMultiplier = 0.01            //What percentage of our core energy do we transfer to the part
        HeatRadiantMultiplier = 0.01            //If the core is hotter, how much heat radiates?
        CoolingRadiantMultiplier = 0        //If the core is colder, how much radiates?
        HeatTransferMultiplier = 0            //If the part is hotter, how much heat transfers in?
        CoolantTransferMultiplier = 0        //If the part is colder, how much of our energy can we transfer?
        radiatorCoolingFactor = 0            //How much energy we pull from core with an active radiator?  >= 1
        radiatorHeatingFactor = 0            //How much energy we push to the active radiator
        MaxCalculationWarp = 1000            //Based on how dramatic the changes are, this is the max rate of change
        CoreShutdownTemp = 10000            //At what core temperature do we shut down all generators on this part?
        MaxCoolant = 0                        //Maximum amount of radiator capacity we can consume - 2500 = 1 small
        PassiveEnergy
        {
            key = 0     25000
            key = 200     10000
            key = 250     50        
            key = 300    25
            key = 350    0
        }
    }
}    

6 hours ago, lagcity613 said:

Nice catch! I finally got a chance to go over the config in detail tonight and was coming back to report the same thing. :lol: 

On 4/29/2016 at 7:13 PM, TheUnamusedFox said:

Thanks! I got KSP working on another computer, so I should be able to test this out in a bit and put it into the official download.

On 5/5/2016 at 4:01 PM, suicidejunkie said:

Does that mean you can't use radiators to prevent it from overheating?

I don't know but I'll check it out!

• 6 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.