What are you putting in your servicebays?

Jetski

I feel that I'm under using service bays, especially the 2.5m ones. What does everyone put in them? I've found a ton of batteries is kraken bait, and a command chair is an exploit for lightweight manned missions, but what is your favorite item or items to stow in a service bay, and why?

Science stuff, good for stowing single mystery goos especially. If I'm using fuel cells, it's a nice place to put them to stop them creating drag. Obviously, it depends on what I'm using the ship for - if I need to dock it to something, there's going to be draggy RCS thrusters everywhere anyway, so I just slap everything on the outside and put a fairing over all of it. :)

• Science gathering parts. (Science Junior, Mystery Goo, Barometer, etc... Keeps them all neat and together.)
  • Parachutes! (Good place to keep them safe from heat, just make sure you open the doors first! Also great place to stow back-up emergency parachutes in case the mains fail.)
  • Extendable Radiators/Solar Panels. (Although potentially dangerous if you are not careful in your placement, I use this method a lot.)
  • Back up parts! (A secondary battery, possibly a secondary antenna, a back-up floodlight, etc...)
  • A Ladder? (Sounds odd I know but in a pinch a Kerbal can grab the ladder, close the doors and ride home safely inside the bay, just don't time warp or he'll pass through the wall!)
  • Mk.1 Lander Can. (Yes this works, and it gives it some heat/crash protection it is sorely lacking otherwise.)

Personally I love service bays, despite their tendency to summon the Kraken. I'm hard pressed to think of a part you couldn't stuff in a bay for some reason or other!

I have used the 2.5m bay as a combination of landing legs and engine compartment for a minmus ground station. Inside the bay, there are some batteries and other utilities and when opened, the doors reach out to the ground and the monoprop engines can fire for landing.

The vessel shown below was designed as a surface outpost for a contract to hold 8 Kerbals and was required to have monoprop.

5avL5lb.jpg

Edited by moppaking

1 hour ago, moppaking said:

I have used the 2.5m bay as a combination of landing legs and engine compartment for a minmus ground station. Inside the bay, there are some batteries and other utilities and when opened, the doors reach out to the ground and the monoprop engines can fire for landing.

The vessel shown below was designed as a surface outpost for a contract to hold 8 Kerbals and was required to have monoprop.

5avL5lb.jpg

Dang good idea, gonna be used for some modules that are required to be the same height

8 hours ago, Tex_NL said:

"What are you putting in your servicebays?"

Nothing. I don't use them. Service bays are where the Kraken lives.

True story, i once placed some landing legs too much near the doors and suddenly, BooM!  ship destroyed and crew stranded in dres orbit, i don't trhust those things anymore, for kraken sake!

11 hours ago, omelaw said:

I used service bays for put tiny probe cores (okto/okto2) and not make ship break in half

^^ This.

You have to go ridiculously high up the tech tree before you get a probe core that's bigger than 0.625m.  (I wish they'd offer a low-tech 1.25m probe core that has, say, the abilities of an OKTO with the form factor and mass of the higher-tech 1.25m core.)

That's a major pain in the fundament, if I want my probe core to be anywhere other than up at the tip-top of the vessel.  (And of course I have to have a probe core on every single ship, because otherwise I have no SAS.  It's not like I'm going to waste valuable seating capacity on a pilot, after all.)

The service bay gives a great way around this, just shove an OKTO or HECS inside one and it's off to the races.  Later on, when I get an OKTO2, it fits nicely in the 1.25m bay with a small reaction wheel on top.  Works great, and I never have kraken problems because I never actually open the bay.

This is pretty much the only way I use service bays.  As soon as I unlock the 1.25m probe core, I typically never use the bays for the remainder of my career.

Edited by Snark

I like to put a probe core and a couple of batteries (and Mechjeb or KER components if so desired) in a bay then turn that into a subassembly ... makes life easier.

I had  a Kerbal in a service bay once, but it really wasn't on purpose, and it looked like poor Bob was going through the spin cycle in there...

I usually don't use them, but I just got a four-tourist Mun orbit contract. The Hitchhiker storage, 2.5m bay (with OKTO, batteries, and antenna), and 2.5m - 1.25m adapter combo is lighter than the four-kerbal capsule I had used on the previous three-tourist Mun orbit, so the four girls got shipped off with a robot pilot.

Besides the battery, OKTO, engineer module, and dish antenna, I stuck the solar in there, mounted on the smallest structural parts I could manage, just because I had the space.

Edited by Tfin

Anything small really. All of the things that would otherwise end up placed randomly around your command capsule. Science equipment, batteries, probe cores, various other stuff. Certainly in you want to incorporate a piece of a smaller diameter than the rest of your craft then inside the service bay is the best. The 2.5 meter service bay can even fit a minimal 0.625m probe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.