WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

1 minute ago, MightyDarkStar said:

Hide contents

Warspite F. 20 Fighter 

Dimensions: (Length) - 10.2 metres, (Wingspan) - 22.4 metres, (Weight) - 4.61 tons

Parts: 29, Points: 86

Weaponry: 1x  Volkov-Yartsev VYa-23 23mm autocannon in the propeller hub, 2x Mauser MG 131/13 13mm machineguns under the wing roots

Powerplant: Roaken B37-D "Buzzer" Radial Engine

Holy cow! 22.4m in span! and I thought some of my designs were ridiculously wide at 17 meters..

5 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Holy cow! 22.4m in span! and I thought some of my designs were ridiculously wide at 17 meters..

It might be big, but it's capable of 468 mph (772 kp/h) and is comparable to the Spitfire in agility. Not to mention that for its size it is very light for a KSP ship.

7 hours ago, KamikazeF0X said:

In fact, 20 units of fuel lasts for something like 20 minutes, I am someone who likes to have a lots of things
Lots of ammo, lots of guns, lots of fuel and -the most important- a lots of snaks ! ^^

Fair enough. FAR's readout gives my plane 1-2 hours at full power with 20 units, but it might of course be wrong. Fuel is a relatively small weight on these planes, anyway (compared to afterburning jets).

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So after some testing and aero design changes I have decided that I will enter my DF-43 Bad Company into this competition

You can find a teaser video of her in action HERE ... The game clip was taken during tuning

There are still a few gremlins to wash out but she performs admirably

I really like this design. Reminds me of something from Crimson Skies.

2 hours ago, pyrosheep said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Here is a dummy battle with my updated design.

Nifty. What's that thing behind the pilot?

Just now, KamikazeF0X said:

You could put fuel in the wings too

The centre of mass would move back as it drains, changing the aircraft's stability through the battle; this could lead to spins.

It would also move the mass outwards, i think this would make the craft roll less well (though not by too much). 

2 minutes ago, pyrosheep said:

The centre of mass would move back as it drains, changing the aircraft's stability through the battle; this could lead to spins.

It would also move the mass outwards, i think this would make the craft roll less well (though not by too much). 

Ooh Ok, Your plane is much more sophisticated than the mine! ^^
I've put a pair of wing on a reverse-mounted engine, for me the most important part of the conception of a vehicle is the luck ! :D

As promised, here are some pics of the rejected design. If you guys want, I can upload it to KerbalX for you to shoot at and maybe even improve slightly. However, you would need pWings(B9)

--Edit--

Oh, and yes, those are 40mm cannons under the wings

Edited by TangerineSedge

So, a heads up to you guys.

Assuming @BahamutoD ends up accepting the PR (when it's ready) and there are no serious bugs, and yada yada qualifiers, I've got some AI modifications in store for BD pilots.  Mostly I'm tired of it turning into flat turning battle with whichever plane turns better / doesn't start the evasion code winning all the time and no AI coming to the other's aid.  Right now I have it set up so that the AI will attempt to do Immelmanns, split-Ses, and chandelles as needed to conserve energy or get into position to attack the opponent.  In addition, the AI will also call for help from its teammates when under fire, so it won't turn into a pair of independent dogfights 10 km apart.  Right now I'm working on making the evasion routine a bit smarter so that it actually tries to dodge the enemy plane's guns rather than just do something stupid and get killed or set up a really nice deflection shot for their opponent.

Should certainly make the battles more interesting, but at the same time will likely result in the design-meta favoring slightly different craft than before, so you guys should know.

On 20/2/2016 at 6:46 PM, tetryds said:

RULES:

Craft:
- Maximum of 6 weapons of a single type on your airplane.

I just realise, this means that we can have only one type of weapon
or
We can have different weapons ( Like 2x12.7mm and a 1x23mm ) but we need to stay in the points limit, of course !

And can we use a ball turret ? and does a ball turret counts for 25.4 points (Two times a 12.7mm MG)

12 minutes ago, KamikazeF0X said:

or
We can have different weapons ( Like 2x12.7mm and a 1x23mm ) but we need to stay in the points limit, of course !

And can we use a ball turret ? and does a ball turret counts for 25.4 points (Two times a 12.7mm MG)

No turrets allowed ... If you look back in the thread a few pages it was mentioned and explained why

Basically any craft with a turret onboard ends up being invincible due to the way the AI handles target acquisition ... It is explained better a few pages back

Edited by DoctorDavinci

4 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

No turrets allowed ... If you look back in the thread a few pages it was asked mentioned and explained why

Basically any craft with a turret onboard ends up being invincible due to the way the AI handles target acquisition ... It is explained better a few pages back

Ooh didn't see that post, and it's a good news ! ^^
I have tested turrets and it's a 360° of cheating freedom !!!

EDIT :
It's in the first page ... I go look for an optician!

Edited by KamikazeF0X

7 minutes ago, KamikazeF0X said:

Ooh didn't see that post, and it's a good news ! ^^
I have tested turrets and it's a 360° of cheating freedom !!!

In my experience the only thing that can target a turret equipped craft is another turret equipped craft however one of the teams has to be stationary

Edited by DoctorDavinci

2 hours ago, KamikazeF0X said:

or

You can have as many weapons as you want, as long as you dont have more than six of the same, firing at the same time. And stay on budget, of course.

So you can have 6 bredas long barrel and a few more short barrel, since they don't fire together.

That is also a reason why different versions of the same weapon exist.

About turrets:

No turrets.

They are OP against the AI and there is no way to truly balance them.

A turret would probably cost way more than that. Some changes to the AI may make it possible so a huge MAYBE for the next BAD-T

She's ready ... The DF-43 Bad Company is now in service

Spoiler

Weight: Dry- 6.12t    Loaded- 6.64t
Armament: 3x 23mm (1200 rounds)
Top Sustainable Speed: 247.4 m/s (890.6 Kph)
Effective Combat Speed: 70-200 m/s (252-792 Kph)

Edited by DoctorDavinci

3 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

She's ready ... The DF-43 Bad Company is now in service

Hide contents

Weight: Dry- 6.12t    Loaded- 6.64t
Armament: 3x 23mm
Top Sustainable Speed: 247.4 m/s (890.6 Kph)
Effective Combat Speed: 70-200 m/s (252-792 Kph)

Well...this is embarrassing. My fighter seems to be *slightly* heavier than your heavy fighter...hmmm...

Time to send Jeb on a diet again ;P

1 minute ago, TangerineSedge said:

Well...this is embarrassing. My fighter seems to be *slightly* heavier than your heavy fighter...hmmm...

Time to send Jeb on a diet again ;P

I could shave a few more Kilo's off of her but she performs nicely the way she is although I may still tweak her control surfaces ... Still got a week or more till the competition starts but the DF-43 is done, I can't squeeze much more performance outta her than I've already managed to.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.