WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

You mean the crash? That's odd. I have noticed that I have to set a higher minimum alt since the latest BDA patch due to a lot more ground collisions, but I'm not sure of the cause. Does changing the altitude settings help?

A bit - it doesn't help the randomly-going-mad issue that was the initiator of it; the craft in focus pulled some more violent stuff than I've ever seen it pull in actual combat. Even if the other one survives - it's not always both of them doing that - they're a couple of km apart after the end of it, which isn't much good if the leader is just going to bull-headedly rush a superior number of opponents. This is a new install with the right versions of everything, so I don't know why I get all the wierdness :P

I did try both radar, btw - nothing ever shows up.

Also - words fail me.

Edited by Van Disaster

@tetrydis Min alt for that flight was ~350m - it's clearly above that during the initial merge when it's being pretty aggressive. I'd set min alt lower but the pilot doesn't have much sense of self preservation.

Edited by Van Disaster

@Van Disaster: lower your default altitude.  It always wants to climb back up to the default altitude and attack from there, but then it's too steep of an angle against a target that's below its default altitude and it decides to play it ultra-safe and pull out of the dive.  Your AI settings would most likely be better for a BnZer, not a turnfighter like you've got.  And it never gets to extend like it wants to because it's bleeding energy like it has a parachute on it in those turns.  If you're gonna insist on it being a turnfighter, set up the AI for it to stick to low altitude shenanigans and work on it to make sure that it is actually capable of quickly getting right-side up and damping yaw oscillations to avoid going into the ground.

Honestly, it looks like all your problems are just a case of designing for last war's AI.

@ferram4: I had suspicions; I was trying to build a B&Z-er without drastically limiting pitch authority - killing pitch authority seems to really limit the ability to evade - but despite the g-limiter being set to 5 it still wanted to peg the meter & pull the wings off :S and you're probably right about designing for old AI to some extent.

Probably makes a better turn-fighter anyway.

Tetrydis: I doubt I'll be happy enough with anything to provide an entry unless you're short a craft to make up numbers, but let me know & I'll add something to the pot if you need it.

Edited by Van Disaster

DF-43 Bad Company has been submitted ... good luck to all who entered into this competition, methinks you're gonna need it

EDIT-----------

Stats are as follows:

2x MG 131 13mm

2x ShVAK 20mm

2x B40-S "Falcon"

Total points= 146

Edited by DoctorDavinci

screenshot149.pngMy submission, a rather simplified down Do-335. Meets all the heavy fighter requirements. Flys decently well, but not quite exceptionally under Ai control, so probably doesn't really stand a chance...

(Although at least I got it to take down the dummy)

Edited by TheSpaceManiac

Somewhat off-topic but it's planes and fighting :). I tested the limits to see what 4 50-60 part planes would do to the framecount to see if i could host a similiar jet-fighter contest...

And i think it would have to be 1 vs 1.

Spoiler

8 hours ago, crashsolo36 said:

already gettin ready for the WW2 JEt fighter challenge:sticktongue:

Same, I already have a jet powered version of my Arcadia Mk XIII fighter, and I'm working on several designs based off of early jet aircraft like the Yak-15/17 'Feather' and the MiG-9 'Fargo' as well as the Horten Ho 229 - that one is rather challenging...yes, that's how we'll describe it - and the Heinkel He 162 'Salamander'/'Volksjäger', probably my favourite early jet

Oh, and it seems I have a thing for Jumo 004 powered aircraft :D

But I didn't say next will be jets :P

The only problem with jets is that there is much less dogfighting and much more sniping, not as fun.

Well, amazing news, I just installed my new i7 4790k, and I can run 2x2 with 40 parts crafts + scatterer + CollisionFX + Destruction Effects + whatever else with over 30fps easy, near the KSC :D

*I also had a lot of stuff going on at the same time like music and some other things which may give extra 2 or 3 fps if turned off.

So, yeah, awesome stuff.

Regrettably, I was quite busy the last few days and didn't submit. I guess I can wait for BAD-T 3?

Or I guess I'll try submitting now and see what happens?

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.