WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

Can't wait to watch

On another similar note, there will be a total of 5 rounds with an additional round to determine 3rd place for Tier 2. The challengers will consist of the first 16 defeated craft from Tier 1 (link in the above post)

Good luck to all

Edited by DoctorDavinci

The battle was incredible, I have a few suggestions for @BahamutoD, but those are minor things, everything works really well.

Now I am leaving the video uploading over night... (3rd world problems :() but it will be available as soon as it's up.

It turns out it's worthy for me to edit the videos, I need to do that to compress them and end up polishing it a little bit, which takes me 10 minutes, so all good.

Nice fight!
The Arcadia was a bit too unstable there, it seems.

Now I'm getting nervous. I still wouldn't mind if I lost, but now I'm thinking that perhaps there is a chance of winning at least one round.
... which would bring me the privilege of getting slaughtered by (probably) @ferram4 in the second :D

We will meet on the field of honor, @TheSpaceManiac!

That was fantastic, love the visual mods ... I picked up some more RAM to bring me up to 14 gigs so imma still hoping I can use some of them

There was a lot of happy tail action going on with both crafts - Tip for all concerning Yaw Stability for your next designs ... Set your Yaw control surfaces to a low control deflection (start at 8 ... even lower) as you want your control to be mainly handled by your Roll and Pitch (use Yaw to keep your nose from wobbling side to side)

Doing this will help solve the happy tail conundrum :wink:

7 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

That was fantastic, love the visual mods ... I picked up some more RAM to bring me up to 14 gigs so imma still hoping I can use some of them

There was a lot of happy tail action going on with both crafts - Tip for all concerning Yaw Stability for your next designs ... Set your Yaw control surfaces to a low control deflection (start at 8 ... even lower) as you want your control to be mainly handled by your Roll and Pitch (use Yaw to keep your nose from wobbling side to side)

Wow, there is my accuracy problem solved ...

7 minutes ago, pyrosheep said:

we can't change things now right? :P

Yes, we can't change anything for the moment !
Otherwise, I will be with a slightly different plane ^^

Spoiler

pasebUV.png

Edited by KamikazeF0X

Best of luck for the next match she flies in @TangerineSedge, the Arcadia is an intimidating beast. I think you've built her well!

I'm proud and frankly surprised at how fantastically the Warspite performed, and not to brag or anything, but I think she's a fairly pretty aeroplane as well :D. Best of luck to the aeroplanes coming up in the next round, I'm eager to see some more competition!

19 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Yeah, I worked that out a day after submissions had closed which was a shame. And that is a mighty nice looking aircraft there @MightyDarkStar, and a well deserved victory.

14 minutes ago, KamikazeF0X said:

Otherwise, I will be with a slightly different plane ^^

Yeah, I found out I could use the control surface AOA slider to make my flaps deploy in turns, giving stupendous lift and pretty mind boggling turn rates.

I recommend trying it if you want to squeeze a better instantaneous turn out of your design.

I would probably also put more ammo into my design; I'm quite paranoid that it will run out.

Edited by pyrosheep

20 minutes ago, pyrosheep said:

Yeah, I found out I could use the control surface AOA slider to make my flaps deploy in turns, giving stupendous lift and pretty mind boggling turn rates.

I recommend trying it if you want to squeeze a better instantaneous turn out of your design.

I would probably also put more ammo into my design; I'm quite paranoid that it will run out.

Control surfaces that automatically react to AoA don't feel like WW2 tech to me, though. You can definitely create some crazy stuff with that them.

14 minutes ago, MarvinCZ said:

Control surfaces that automatically react to AoA don't feel like WW2 tech to me, though. You can definitely create some crazy stuff with that them.

There were some control surfaces that responded automatically to different flight conditions.

Leading edge slats like on the Bf 109 

g10.slat2.jpg

Or La-5

WofRussia02_La-5_slats.jpg

These would deploy depending on the dynamic pressure (making control characteristics better at low speeds).

Edited by pyrosheep

You know, I totally forgot about terrain scatter being a thing when I made the arenas; Good thing the aircraft weren't affected by Boostershire Farm's sudden tree invasion.
With the video - One thing I discovered a while ago is if you double right click, it removes the mouse cursor and turns on a free camera mode; a single right click turns it back off. Might make panning around crafts a little easier before the dogfight camera tool activate.

Yes, I remembered that after I recorded, mainly because I disable that feature, it gets on the way.

Instead, you can use ] to do that (the button right above Enter).

Edit: Lol I didn't realize I did not reply to the posts above yours.

Yeah, you cannot edit your airplane, for that very specific reason, imagine if everybody kept updating theirs, it would be both unfair and a nightmare.

Now you know how to improve that, but so does everybody, make sure to make use of that for the next BAD-T!

Well, response to AoA is not exactly a problem, BUT it's something that did not really happen on ww2, there were self stabilizing prototypes, but nothing compared to what AoA does.
Given that, I think it's unfair, the current crafts may have that enabled, but it will certainly be banned on the next battles, I could limit how much it can be used, but it's simpler to ban it.

@MarvinCZ If you lose your first battle don't worry, your airplane gets another chance on the tier 2 battles!

@Bob_Saget54 - Looks to me like we battle it out in the 14th fight ... Good luck to you sir, hopefully it doesn't land on AFHV or Full House :wink:

On another note, The Link to the Second Tier is here -> http://challonge.com/BADT2_Second_Tier

I will fill it as we get results from Tier 1

Edited by DoctorDavinci

22 hours ago, tetryds said:

Well, response to AoA is not exactly a problem, BUT it's something that did not really happen on ww2, there were self stabilizing prototypes, but nothing compared to what AoA does.

Given that, I think it's unfair, the current crafts may have that enabled, but it will certainly be banned on the next battles, I could limit how much it can be used, but it's simpler to ban it.

This is fair. My plane has some (very slight) automatic leading edge flap action, partly because I was afraid I would need it to be competitive, but I'd be happy to do without next time if everyone else does. Maybe the AI will one day be able to manually deploy flaps.

10 hours ago, pyrosheep said:

Mine and Pds 314 have one as well :)

Me too!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.