WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

Meh, it's just a mistake, not the end of the world; the fight will get rerun & no harm done anywhere other than perhaps a preview of a future battle(?).

I agree about daytime though - I tried night battles & while the tracer is great, the rest of it isn't. Just before sunset is pretty dramatic without being completely dark.

43 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

I agree. Maybe tetryds could give a greek letter to everyone who wants to participate and they would have to incorporate it somehow into their craft's name, or something.

I was thinking more along the lines of 'forum user name' - 'craft name' or the other way around

That way it would be easy for us to Identify the craft by user name instead of just craft name ... the other bonus is you will be able to identify who's is who's craft in the video

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Whoops, my bad, I will remove the video and rerun the battle.

Thanks for the heads up, I agree it felt like there was something wrong.

About the namings, erm, yes, it's really not useful for the outside world to know that your airplane has been through 16 iterations and whatever else the letters should mean, a "something mk(number)" is good but "PK-248 XZ N JR CC-5 Mk5" doesn't feel like the name an airplane should have, also makes it inconvenient to talk about them.

I won't blame anyone, there was no rule about it and that is fine, but it means we will need to fix this for the next version.

Then there would be a chance that names repeat so I will make the entrees craft list public as they are submitted and encourage original names.

Funny that this confusion already happened once on the brackets.

@Veeltch it's not always easier, daytime fades the other craft markers we have available, making it harder to see, I found that sunrise/sundown are the best daytimes but I try to vary a bit too.

Edit: about identifying who owns the craft, I feel like it's not necessary, especially because some of them are much greater than the oponent and the last thing I want is someone to feel ashamed of participating.

If you want to know who owns a craft you have to go after it.

Perhaps a naming rule could go along the lines of:

The craft name must prominently contain a word or a combination of words. Any additional model code or numbers must not detract from this name.

I'm not good at wording these things, but something like this would perhaps capture the intention, while leaving enough room for creativity.

Entrants could just pick a countries military naming conventions & stick with that format. I name all my BDA stuff using the UK scheme which involves an actual name for finished craft; the only problem would be if is 80% of entrants pick the US schema & we have to remember a dozen P-xx designations...

No, I would rather just a name, allow for some kind of version after the name, but it should have a normal name first.

It would be a pain to go after a bunch of P-something airplanes to find the right one, and that is assuming numbers won't repeat.

@MarvinCZ Yeah, something along those lines, but slightly different, I will see what I come up with when it's time.

UK schema for WW2 is <name> Mk <roman number> - for just post WW2 it'd be <name> Mk <number>, and then <name> <designation>.<number> and all of them can have an a-z subversion for tiny mods. So my opponent craft is a Deimos Mk IIIc, and my current jet is a Viper F.1a. The USN system was pretty similar, so a choice of those? You don't really want <name> 2-5-28bis :P

I suggest that the plane should have names and not just code or numbers

Something like "P-47-D28" shouldn't be allowed but something like "P-47-D28 Thunderbolt" or simply "P-47 Thunderbolt" should be ok

I-15 "Chaika", I-16 "Ishak", Me-262 "Schwalbe", Fw-200 "Condor", P-40 "Tomahawk", A6M "Zero", J7W "Shinden", come on guys be a little more creative than just numbers and letters

Since it would be easier to remember and sort the names rather than some random numbers

Edited by DIMASARM

On 2016-04-22 at 10:02 AM, tetryds said:

If you want to know who owns a craft you have to go after it.

I think you're right ... A craft name that is clearly identifiable is what I am mainly concerned about since it can become difficult for us who record the battles if we have to sort through hex code like names to find the right craft

Ok, so, MAF is out, everything is looking good, time to resume BAD-T 2 :D

Edit: By the way, round 2 is ready to start!

But this time the order of the battles will be totally random, if you thought your battle was going to be the next, my bad, you better keep an eye on them as they happen :wink:

Hi.

I just discovered this competition a few days ago.

Is there any way to download the fighters?  I know I can't participate anymore, but it would still be a lot of fun to fight them on my own.  It would also help me prepare for some other competition like this in the future.

Thanks.

On 2016-04-22 at 10:42 PM, DIMASARM said:

I suggest that the plane should have names and not just code or numbers

Something like "P-47-D28" shouldn't be allowed but something like "P-47-D28 Thunderbolt" or simply "P-47 Thunderbolt" should be ok

I-15 "Chaika", I-16 "Ishak", Me-262 "Schwalbe", Fw-200 "Condor", P-40 "Tomahawk", A6M "Zero", J7W "Shinden", come on guys be a little more creative than just numbers and letters

Since it would be easier to remember and sort the names rather than some random numbers

Since it was my craft the started the whole debate, i have to clarify that it has a name, not just random numbers... it's called GG-C132 "the Imp" due to its small and evil winged nature... GG is from my nick (GridGhost), C from conventional (nothing unconventional, pullengine, normal wings and so on) and the numbers comes from 1 engine, 3 cannons, and 2 wings :)

1 hour ago, aleksey444 said:

Hi.

I just discovered this competition a few days ago.

Is there any way to download the fighters?  I know I can't participate anymore, but it would still be a lot of fun to fight them on my own.  It would also help me prepare for some other competition like this in the future.

Thanks.

I'm not sure if the planes will be released or not as I'm sure there are combatants who want to improve on their designs for entry into the next BAD T tournament which will be done in 1.1

My craft, the DF-43 Bad Company, I personally don't want released as I intend to be entering a modified version of it into the next BAD T ... Perhaps others wouldn't mind handing out their crafts but that would be up to them methinks

14 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm not sure if the planes will be released or not as I'm sure there are combatants who want to improve on their designs for entry into the next BAD T tournament which will be done in 1.1

My craft, the DF-43 Bad Company, I personally don't want released as I intend to be entering a modified version of it into the next BAD T ... Perhaps others wouldn't mind handing out their crafts but that would be up to them methinks

OK, I think that is fair.

But, if someone doesn't mind sharing their craft, I would really appreciate it.  You could do it privately, too.

I would really like to have some good planes to practice against.

Thanks.

I am not going to make public any aircraft file, if someone wants to share it's up to them.

@gridghost yes that makes sense, I believe that most of them were named similarly but I wouldn't expect such problem to come up, and an actual name is nicer IMO.

I am noticing the usage pattern of engines and weapons to provide a better variety of options that are still useful, completely reworking the unused ones.

The reason most US planes used 50cals is because they couldn't get their licensed Hispanos working properly rather than 50cals being particularily good, I'm not really sure how you balance machineguns & cannon without nerfing something a little unrealistically. Perhaps just tweaking the points value of some of the weapons might work so we don't end up trying to fit five machineguns because we're half an allocation short of 6. The engines need some fiddling though, I'm pretty sure they shouldn't be giving so much thrust as they are at higher speeds.

55 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

I'm not really sure how you balance machineguns & cannon without nerfing something a little unrealistically.

Magic.

No, really, that took some fiddling around, but I did not touch any specs of the weapon such as fire rate or bullet speed and mass.

No "this weapon deals x damage, this deals y damage" at all, and BDArmory uses bullet energy to deal damage (better than momentum given we don't have different types of ammo other than AP/HE nor piercing nor anything else).

Btw, battle dropping today!

4 hours ago, aleksey444 said:

OK, I think that is fair.

But, if someone doesn't mind sharing their craft, I would really appreciate it.  You could do it privately, too.

I would really like to have some good planes to practice against.

Thanks.

You could download the BAD T dummy to practice with

Read through the first post of this thread and you'll find the download link

EDIT: The download link for the BAD T dummy is located HERE

Edited by DoctorDavinci

You can have a copy of one of my aggressor craft, it's not the best I've built but it is something I use to decide if an idea is worth pursuing ( it's the opfor craft from this playlist I posted before ). I have very little idea of how good it is compared to other people's stuff though ( well, fairly sure it's not quite as good as at least one entry ).

Edited by Van Disaster

1 hour ago, Van Disaster said:

You can have a copy of one of my aggressor craft, it's not the best I've built but it is something I use to decide if an idea is worth pursuing ( it's the opfor craft from this playlist I posted before ). I have very little idea of how good it is compared to other people's stuff though ( well, fairly sure it's not quite as good as at least one entry ).

Thank you very much for your craft!

It looks great, and handles good too.  I flew it a bit, and then pitched it against the dummy craft.  It's going to be my new sparring partner :)

The enemy craft in the 4th video looks phenomenal, btw.

I did download the dummy craft a while ago (but thank you DoctorDavinci for the suggestion), but it's pretty easy to kill.

BTW, for some reason, I cannot get the airplanes to fight in a competition.  They lift off and then just circle the runway.  I have to turn off the competition and manually turn on guard mode to get them to fight.  Does anyone know why this happens, and how to fix it?

Out of the box I don't think AviatorArsenal has the wingman module which competition mode needs added to the AI aerial: I've forgotten most ModuleManager syntax but this should fix it, save in some file somewhere in GameData with a .cfg extension, doesn't matter what it's called.

@PART[AIantenna]
{
	%MODULE[ModuleWingCommander]
	{
		%name = ModuleWingCommander
	}
}

Someone a bit better at MM than me feel free to fix up.

Edit: fight is up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHqXTYwQFUo

Edited by Van Disaster

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.