WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

It was a good battle, your plane put up a fight.

As an aside, around 2:25 there was an example of a BDA AI bug I see regularly, where planes fire when they are next to each other and not actually aiming at each other. Not an important issue, just something I wonder about.

4 minutes ago, MarvinCZ said:

It was a good battle, your plane put up a fight.

As an aside, around 2:25 there was an example of a BDA AI bug I see regularly, where planes fire when they are next to each other and not actually aiming at each other. Not an important issue, just something I wonder about.

I think the firing that you're talking about is due to a glitch in the AI where when a plane acquires a new target it fires off a shot ... Not totally sure that this is the case but it does appear that way

5 hours ago, Veeltch said:

Woah the turn rate of that thing is insane @gridghost! Really nice plane you got there.

Eh, I wasn't expecting to go very far in the tournament anyway. I'm actually pretty happy it flew in a somewhat controlled and stable way :P

Yes, the turnrate is rather insane :) even more so then i imagined it to be, actually. The thing with your flying wing were lack of yaw-stability. I guess that with a small wing or other controlsurfaces aiding in yaw-control it would have been a bit more stable.  It was a nice fight.

Just now, gridghost said:

Yes, the turnrate is rather insane :) even more so then i imagined it to be, actually. The thing with your flying wing were lack of yaw-stability. I guess that with a small wing or other controlsurfaces aiding in yaw-control it would have been a bit more stable.  It was a nice fight.

Yeah, I actually thought it was too big, then I saw all of the planes together and it happened to be no larder than the single engine planes. I might rework the wings and post a dl link to it once I find some free time.

45 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

And the first battle of round 2 for the Second Tier is up ... The FW190D-9 was disqualified in Tier 1 so the W1LC2 21 advances to round 2 without fighting

Wat.

Veeltch: you might also try making your craft single engined just to see how well that works.

The AI pilot is not currently too fond of flying wings with brake rudders, it seems, or at least ones without any natural yaw stability. The other thing about brake rudders is... well, they're brakes!

Edited by Van Disaster

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a little while, got in too late for this tournament but hopefully will be entering the next one (provided I can get over my horrible flatspin issues!)

Question I have is, since you all seem to be using different engines, what has been the reasoning behind your choices? I would expect a simple "MOAR POWER" approach, but am not seeing it in action across the board.

Hopefully that isn't asking for jealously guarded secrets! ;p

They have different mass, and some work better at different altitude ranges ( and one seems to have rather less effective drag, for some reason ). Given all these fights are started with the craft on the deck, that's a bit of a waste of the higher altitude ones, sadly.

The winners of the last tournament I was in ended up using the old Wheesley rather than the hugely more powerful turboramjet.

Edited by Van Disaster

20 minutes ago, Vigelius said:

Question I have is, since you all seem to be using different engines, what has been the reasoning behind your choices? I would expect a simple "MOAR POWER" approach, but am not seeing it in action across the board.

In fact i've wanted a twin 20mm guns and a 23mm, the engine was the most powerful in my remaning points range

I have not paid attention to my total weight 

1 hour ago, Vigelius said:

Hi all. I've been lurking here for a little while, got in too late for this tournament but hopefully will be entering the next one (provided I can get over my horrible flatspin issues!)

"MOAR POWER" isn't always the answer though

My 38kn engined fighter loses to the 35kn engined one all the time even though they're basically identical planes with a different engine installed due to the 35kn engine being lighter

MOAR POWER actually was the primary consideration for me, but I was also concerned with drag and weight distribution. A longer engine cowling worked really well with my design. I'm interested in the different philosophies that informed people's designs, though. I went with a sort of 'energy-maneuverability' design philosophy, which is why power/weight was so important to me (you can also see it in other details on the Kite, like the elliptical wings, relatively high aspect ratio, and extreme efforts at weight reduction). Other people seem to have emphasised wing loading, or top speed, or what-have-you.

3 hours ago, Vigelius said:

my plane is heavy so I took the one of most powerful and the plane is style slow

Another three tests gone, now I can put some more time on running battles again :D... and my yt channel, and MAF, and moderating, and game dev, and podcasting, and I don't even know what else.

Ah, yes, studying.

8 minutes ago, tetryds said:

Another three tests gone, now I can put some more time on running battles again :D... and my yt channel, and MAF, and moderating, and game dev, and podcasting, and I don't even know what else.

Ah, yes, studying.

We love you :) Thanks for the time you put into our entertainment, and I guess your own too.

15 minutes ago, SasquatchM said:

On a related note, are the Bad T engines updated as of yet?  I feel a strong urge for some 1.1 dogfight goodness.

I agree ... Been using the old engines for playing around but would love to start finalizing designs for the BAD T3 in 1.1

One thing I have noticed though is that my Bad Company weighs about 2 tons more in 1.1 as compared to 1.0.5 without any changes whatsoever ... I took it from 1.0.5 and loaded it directly into 1.1 and it weighed in at 8.6 tons instead of 6.5 tons it originally weighed

Thoughts on this?

Edited by DoctorDavinci

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.