WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

3 hours ago, alp3r said:

If I win against ferram, I'm going to do 50 pushups. I'll be posting it here if it is deemed appropriate lool.

Well I mean, I won against @DoctorDavinci's Bad Company (Which was completely unexpected), so anything's possib

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm gonna hold you to that ... Post a video on YouTube :wink:

I want to see that as well XD

Aaagh, that was close! I had a feeling I was going to lose to the Skyrebal. Although, actually, I think it was a lack of accuracy more than anything else that did the Kite in. I never was able to perfect its shooting.

Ah, well. At least my Kites put up a fight.

[edit] As for picking a winner... I think it's too close to call. I think all the planes that have made it this far are really excellent from a technical perspective, and there are just too many variables to consider. I will say that the Tytonid's accuracy is truly terrifying, but the others aren't far off.

Edited by Doke

7 hours ago, Doke said:

Aaagh, that was close! I had a feeling I was going to lose to the Skyrebal. Although, actually, I think it was a lack of accuracy more than anything else that did the Kite in. I never was able to perfect its shooting.

Ah, well. At least my Kites put up a fight.

[edit] As for picking a winner... I think it's too close to call. I think all the planes that have made it this far are really excellent from a technical perspective, and there are just too many variables to consider. I will say that the Tytonid's accuracy is truly terrifying, but the others aren't far off.

When I entered Skyrebal I didn't know how it would preform against other planes with the design being radically different from a conventional fighter. Inspiration came from the XP-55 Ascender a unique plane that only went as far as being test flown.

As far as flying wings go Skyrebal is not a true  flying wing. I haven’t had successes at getting a wing to preform well. Yaw stability and the lack of pitch control being away from the CoM are issues that don't make for a competitive fighter. Still I would pursue a wing in a future BADT if I could come up with a suitable design.

For a winner I have to have to go with the Tytonid such a impressive plane. Blohm and Voss produced a similar aircraft but it was a jet/prop combo. I wonder when the competition is over if Ferram would make his craft available for us to learn from.

That was a somewhat disappointed outcome for the Imp, but a really nice fight :). I like the fact the one of the CompetitionCrafts drew all the fire and the other soared high to dive down on the unsuspecting Imps... I got one down at least.

4 hours ago, gridghost said:

That was a somewhat disappointed outcome for the Imp, but a really nice fight :). I like the fact the one of the CompetitionCrafts drew all the fire and the other soared high to dive down on the unsuspecting Imps... I got one down at least.

Think your Imp just had a bad day - I've had days like that when no matter what I do to a usually superior craft it just loses. Your Imp seemed somewhat less aggressive than usual, that's for sure.

Henschel & Boulton-Paul also did a few WW2 design studies for canard craft, but I don't think any were dogfighters - the Boulton-Paul P.100 looked like it'd be a great aircraft for the job it was intended for, but then the Typhoon/Tempest came along & did it just as well *and* could do air-to-air...

Someone ( Doke perhaps?) had what appeared to be a cockpit made of a command seat inside a complete structural tube - any way to get TakeCommand to not hurl the pilot out of the seat at craft launch in that situation?( although mine seemed to just hurl pilots out of seats even when they're stuck on top of things anyway ).

Edited by Van Disaster

33 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Someone ( Doke perhaps?) had what appeared to be a cockpit made of a command seat inside a complete structural tube - any way to get TakeCommand to not hurl the pilot out of the seat at craft launch in that situation?( although mine seemed to just hurl pilots out of seats even when they're stuck on top of things anyway ).

The cockpit is actually a command seat on top of a structural tube, with four B9 proc wing pieces providing the structural panels around the pilot. That way there's no clipping involved. I'll put up the craft file later when I have a moment.

22 minutes ago, MarvinCZ said:

Hmm, you are a serious contender for my bet. That was some great flying and shooting. It might well be what is needed to destroy the ominous Tytonid.

Well, it's only had two fights so far, I can see several craft that'd possibly stand up to it.

50 minutes ago, Doke said:

The cockpit is actually a command seat on top of a structural tube, with four B9 proc wing pieces providing the structural panels around the pilot. That way there's no clipping involved. I'll put up the craft file later when I have a moment.

Ah - I've tried that sort of thing too, I guess I'll have another look.

However, is this sort of thing considered sporting anyway?

Spoiler

26310342583_8a5b526559_b.jpg

( note the handy ladder for the convenience of organisers :wink: )

9 minutes ago, Van Disaster said:

Well, it's only had two fights so far, I can see several craft that'd possibly stand up to it.

Oh, I'm sure there are more, I'm overdramatizing. That thing was my bane, so I shall paint it in an ominous light!

Well, after my own airplane I would bet at @OmegaForce's SkyRebal, it turns really well and even managed to win against Kite, which turned more than it, because it turned more efficiently.

So, whoever wins battle 27 is my fav.

But @Van Disaster's clipping Kerbal is never going to be legal, that is no cockpit :P

The one who made the closed cockpit was @Pds314, with Yellow Moth.

Now, to everyone who made it to Round 3 (except BotDrew, damn BotDrew, go home already!), congratulations for going this far, we had really powerful and capable airplanes on this version of BAD-T, and despite the lack of proper guidance on how to build your airplanes, you managed to get yours among the best.

*shrug*: can happily make a cockpit which doesn't clip a kerbal ( well, his rear end might sink in the floor slightly ), it's just an ugly hack of bits :P was just checking.

Spoiler

26892578476_dc00f50055_b.jpg

I did start work on modelling what the US would possibly call a razorback cockpit, but trying to get the rear to blend properly with different diameter ( and possibly conical ) fuselage parts was being awkward before I had to temporarily down tools.

Lol I mentioned about my schedule a few times, don't worry.

We are all anxious about the Round 3, which will start soon, but I won't upload multiple battles at once anymore.

The battles will be also the best of five rather than three, because good crafts may be closer in terms of performance and luck cannot be a factor.

Waaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!! BK WHY!!!!!!!!!!;.;..... Now with that out the way... my BK did well that was a good fight though.. well NO Prob Her sis Tempest is READY For REVENGE!!!!!!!!:mad:....

7Rs2Oyg.png

lrBfkNG.png

hSpNVXf.png

Heavy fighters are my challenge so i'm gonna try build sumtin that can gimmi some high G turns

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.