WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

@KamikazeF0X Yep, and it's getting better every match!

Edit: Btw I will be cutting off parts where not much happens before the engagement gets interesting, now we have best of five and lots of action to show, and I don't want to keep them long or boring.

Ok, I just ran another battle.

This was simply the worst battle I have ever run since BAD-T started, by far.

It was in fact so bad, but so bad, that three new rules will be made for BAD-T 3 just because of how bad it was and I don't want any of this happening again, ever.

The battle took more than 30 minutes to finish, which was the time I had available to record, edit and leave it uploading, so I will not able to upload it today.

Yeah, bad battle bad, after it's out I will have a few things to say.

Edit: I will do my best to make it at least "watchable" but that will be hard.

What's the issue?

So far i've seen the "evade forever", or the "climbing skywards forever" issues, which can go on for a long time and is a bore to watch with the fighters just out of range of each other, or the "planes goes off in different direktions and finally unloads (killed)", or the defender AI, deciding to hang out just infront of the agressor AI, but the last one usually ends pretty fast.

I've discovered that many things are actually not contributed to the planes as such but to the AI getting stuck in a behaviour. 

I wonder if the match was mine v ferram's. But yeah, the AI has the three aforementioned main combat issues; I don't know if they're related to the problem(s) you're having, but as always I'm looking forward to the rules you will be adding.

4 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

Let the battle of the flying wings commence

@Veeltch congratulation you've make a good little boy

since the beginning of this tournament a know the flying wing will fight

Edited by luftein

10 minutes ago, luftein said:

@Veeltch congratulation you've make a good little boy

since the beginning of this tournament a know the flying wing will fight

Thanks. Your plane was really well designed too.

Hispanos FTW! Woooooooo! Bronze is mine!

I ran a few more battles after I posted the results and found that as long as @Veeltch's W1LC2 21 didn't crash into the ground that it consistently outmaneuvered @luftein's ARSH Force One ... although it did it with such squirrely-ness that I'm surprised that thing managed to get out of some of the predicaments it was in

Both were well built planes and I really enjoyed recording the battle

Edited by DoctorDavinci

15 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I ran a few more battles after I posted the results and found that as long as @Veeltch's W1LC2 21 didn't crash into the ground that it consistently outmaneuvered @luftein's ARSH Force One ... although it did it with such squirrely-ness that I'm surprised that thing managed to get out of some of the predicaments it was in

Both were well built planes and I really enjoyed recording the battle

Yeah, keeping her close to the ground wasn't the brightest idea. I'll make sure the plane is more stable next time. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

1 minute ago, Veeltch said:

Yeah, keeping her close to the ground wasn't the brightest idea. I'll make sure the plane is more stable next time. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

No inconvenience at all ... Keeping her close to the ground was her saving grace I think, other planes would overshoot yours because their lowest altitude was higher than yours which gave you a chance to aim up and shoot

She's a great craft

On 23/5/2016 at 6:42 AM, tetryds said:

Ok, I just ran another battle.

This was simply the worst battle I have ever run since BAD-T started, by far.

It was in fact so bad, but so bad, that three new rules will be made for BAD-T 3 just because of how bad it was and I don't want any of this happening again, ever.

The battle took more than 30 minutes to finish, which was the time I had available to record, edit and leave it uploading, so I will not able to upload it today.

Yeah, bad battle bad, after it's out I will have a few things to say.

Edit: I will do my best to make it at least "watchable" but that will be hard.

I can't wait for the next round to start. I've seen some awesome design. 

Can we have a hint about those three new rules? 

Also, what if I decide to use a particular engine for the look of it (the radial double wasp style one, 37kn) but need to use less point? Will you tolerate my design I lower the thrust output with the in game slider? Because a TigerKat is no longer a Kat with a merlin style engine :P

So I've been doing some testing in 1.1.2 and although I know there will likely be another KSP update I figured I'd show you guys some of my results for the next BAD T

Here's the Bad Company Mk2 vs the Buzzkill ... I made the Buzzkill for target practice but it's a mean little beast

Well, I managed to make it not look terrible, but I will upload it tomorrow as I will leave something downloading on another computer today.

Loved the battle of the flying wings, glad to see both made it that far :D

The rules that will be added are some things I didn't make clear for this tournament, so I cannot really apply them now, and won't do for the rest of the tournament for fairness.

But the biggest problem was indeed "fleeing" from combat, or going to insane distances before coming back to engage, picking up way too much speed, barely shooting and turning away when 1km far from the enemy kind of stuff. To a point it was the AI, but that is not the only thing.

Another fact, every Round 3 battle is being decided on the fifth round, even this last one, that's amazing (I had to trim this last one though).

As mentioned before on the competition, we have really good aircraft here, but the best part is that there is plenty of room for improvements, the problem that happens the most is lack of stability, especially when aiming.

I have already talked to @BahamutoD about ways to improve that somewhat, and remove gain buffing when aiming down sights as that alone can cause the craft to oscillate a lot, so I hope it works better once the mod updates for 1.1.2.

About updating for 1.1.2, remember that BDArmory is not yet updated, and is probably throwing a lot of NREs on the background while running that battle, @DoctorDavinci.

I have my own BDA build with normalized gains across modes & it is indeed a lot smoother - however none of the pilots can hit the side of a barn, so it's not quite that simple. The "fleeing" issue is definitely a bug - if you put debug lines/labels on you can see that while it's set in flying-to-target mode the flight path target is in entirely the wrong direction, same as the attempting-to-climb-to-orbit one. I suspect it's probably an easy to solve maths issue somewhere.

There is a rather larger & fairly terminal 1.1.2 bug according to the BDA thread though, so probably best not to get too excited yet. I did do a thing which I can probably clean up for limited release for the next round though if you like:

Spoiler

@g00bd0g I know, it's just that I have way too much stuff going on lately so I cannot run as many battles.

But have you learned how to use FAR? You should use the extra time to experiment and learn new techniques, because in the end you will wish there was more time, everybody does :P

@tetryds I'm eagerly awaiting the next competition as well, but I've created one of the most "Interesting" fighters that I'll probably ever produce. 

But knowing my luck, the new BAD-T 3 Rules will consider it obsolete XD

BTW, good luck to all of those who have made it to Semifinals! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.