WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

1 hour ago, tetryds said:

bombs yes, but not missiles, who knows when the AI will start using them against other airplanes? :P

LOL. If you want anti-air rockets, just use 40mm rounds. They'll blow a plane clean in half and are much, much cheaper and lighter than rockets.

I would rather if everybody entered monoplanes for fairness.

If I was to allow biplanes I would have to create a new class for them, with less points and stuff.

Edit: and remember that you no airplane is a wasted design, you can battle against anything to improve your own design even if it's illegal.

On 3/1/2016 at 6:17 AM, Pds314 said:

So, um. I apparently made a plane with a 4-meter wing?-span that has superior lift characteristics to most of my fighter designs and can easily kill the dummy.

67192014.jpg
pm5blOp.png

ER7qyjW.png

This seems like it's worth experimenting with.

P.S. with the second image, the clock should read 1:10. As in, that's the time between switching teams and a kill, starting both at the same place facing opposite directions.

I need this. Even though I can't use it in the comp, this is a plane I have to have.

Also, @tetryds, can I make a plane where the main wing sweeps up into the rear wing thing? (I'm a noob at aircraft terminology. Ironic I want to be an aircraft engineer) Or would this no longer be a mono wing plane?

Another thing, what is the difference between the 2 stage and single stage propeller engines? I have no idea what to pick and I can't figure out how to switch stages on the 2 stage propeller engines.

Edited by Gnoyze
Single Stage vs Two Stage?

Is Heinkel Lerche considered a monoplane?

EDIT: It's coleopter, but would you allow such design? I think it would balance itself out pretty well considering it's a VTOL, has to have a certain mass and TWR of >1. It probably couldn't carry much guns/ammo.

Edited by Veeltch

16 hours ago, tetryds said:

I would rather if everybody entered monoplanes for fairness.

If I was to allow biplanes I would have to create a new class for them, with less points and stuff.

Edit: and remember that you no airplane is a wasted design, you can battle against anything to improve your own design even if it's illegal.

LOL, Alright (sets up battle between Fifth gen and widshed monoplane).

On a side note, what about this sort of shenanigans?Artistic_view_of_a_PrandtlPlane_freighte

Also, if we were allowed biplanes, it'd probably be adviseable to create some smaller engines. 1.25m is quite big for a biplane engine.

Edited by Pds314

As a rule of thumb,if "this shouldn't be allowed" crosses your mind, you should reconsider your design.

And... no VTOLs, lewl.

Biplanes won't be allowed on this version of BAD-T, will study adding them on the next one.

But I don't see anything wrong with annular wings like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWmR4klsLLTKQBNbpytXxHp7Zie1gqMnzQwT1xGh3Wk4HVZk28b3UlS_4TIA

I have seen piston airplanes killing jets, mainly because of the AI, not sure how they go with the update.

Right now I am deciding on a deadline, given that experimentals should last around two weeks at least, thinking about 13th or 20th.

1 minute ago, tetryds said:

As a rule of thumb,if "this shouldn't be allowed" crosses your mind, you should reconsider your design.

And... no VTOLs, lewl.

Biplanes won't be allowed on this version of BAD-T, will study adding them on the next one.

I have seen piston airplanes killing jets, mainly because of the AI, not sure how they go with the update.

Right now I am deciding on a deadline, given that experimentals should last around two weeks at least, thinking about 13th or 20th.

Alright. Looks like my new ultra-short-takeoff craft shall not be allowed. =( The entire craft length is under 4.5 meters.

Edited by Pds314

2 minutes ago, BahamutoD said:

AI actually doesn't use SAS - it overrides all inputs.  

Oh. Alright. Well in that case, the AI doesn't seem to care about yaw control, at least... not enough to fly craft that aren't yaw-stable.

At least, when they don't have the ability to vector thrust all over the place.

Edited by Pds314

1 minute ago, Pds314 said:

Oh. Alright. Well in that case, the AI doesn't seem to care about yaw control, at least... not enough to fly craft that aren't yaw-stable.

Yes, the AI assumes some yaw stability, especially when aiming and taking off.

7 minutes ago, BahamutoD said:

Yes, the AI assumes some yaw stability, especially when aiming and taking off.

*Sobs*

But..... BrakeRudders!

EDIT: Hmm.. well, it seems to be having pitch stability issues anyway.

Edited by Pds314

Which version of BDArmory will be used in the competition? v10.3.2 listed in the first post or a newer version with the updated AI? It seems that most people are testing their designs with the new AI, so this would be good to know.

9 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Planes so far (including obsoleted and illegal designs, and the dummy for scale):

Also, Tetryds, is my ring wing allowed? 

t7RyDlx.png

xTasTXT.png

How do you design your planes so well? what cockpits are those and how do you get the body to not be stock color?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.