WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

Ok, so, I want to know, would you rather if the battles happened with the GUI on?

Because I was told it can get hard to follow what is going on if you cannot see the markers.

I can also look up ways to get the markers show up without the rest of the GUI (aka: bug @ferram4 to death to see if he can do it).

When I record them it's easy for me to find out what is going on, I only sometimes don't switch to exactly the craft I was expecting, but I guess it can get hard to keep up if you are not controlling it.

@BahamutoD: turning dogfight mode on causes a visual glitch where the camera places itself at a weird position before going behind the craft, this also happens when switching between crafts with that camera mode on.

Would be good if you could consider checking that out.

I think the markers would only make a difference if they were different colours for friendly and enemy, though I'm guessing you can just change the vessel type. That changes the marker too.

Tonight, a very special battle is about to take place! Team Bases versus Team Rovers!

@Veeltch: If it was team ships vs team stations you'd get a nice red vs blue magenta vs teal team colors

@tetryds: I would leave the UI on, but minimize the navball. In the various battles I've run, I found the vessel labels a useful tool for following the action, letting me see at a glance what was where; careful camera framing and I could follow both pairs of dueling aircraft simultaneously.

On 01/04/2016 at 3:41 PM, DoctorDavinci said:

There was a lot of happy tail action going on with both crafts - Tip for all concerning Yaw Stability for your next designs ... Set your Yaw control surfaces to a low control deflection (start at 8 ... even lower) as you want your control to be mainly handled by your Roll and Pitch (use Yaw to keep your nose from wobbling side to side)

Sort-of: step 1 is to make sure you have enough fixed tail in the first place; how much the moving surface deflects depends on how far from the centre of the craft it is & how big it is. Unless something changed ( it might well have done ) higher control damping can also help by limiting the rate of deflection, although that might also make it worse if the plane likes rotating around it's axes rather than flying straight...

I tried videoing with the labels off a few times, it's very easy to lose the target in ground clutter or clouds, unfortunately.

The Bf109 slats were effectively AoA dependent, no? however having tried extreme AoA builds I don't think it's quite so effective for craft with these engines rather than jets.

32 minutes ago, SuicidalInsanity said:

@Veeltch: If it was team ships vs team stations you'd get a nice red vs blue magenta vs teal team colors

@tetryds: I would leave the UI on, but minimize the navball. In the various battles I've run, I found the vessel labels a useful tool for following the action, letting me see at a glance what was where; careful camera framing and I could follow both pairs of dueling aircraft simultaneously.

I tried out ships vs stations and the blue is hard to see at times

@luftein J'en connais un qui va passer un sale quart d'heure Lundi !

The major flaw in the luftein's design is the nosecone, at 2:30 my plane managed to rip the nosecone off, witch is the only fuel tank
Otherwise it's a very good plane ! I love the Air brakes and the wing design

Edited by KamikazeF0X

Please keep discussions outside of the international forums in english.

Yes, both battles were really good, unfortunately Oscar 27 decided to stall itself to death though, should check on that, @SasquatchM, it can happen because of many factors, but I believe it was mainly the wing angle.

9 minutes ago, tetryds said:

Please keep discussions outside of the international forums in english.

Yes, both battles were really good, unfortunately Oscar 27 decided to stall itself to death though, should check on that, @SasquatchM, it can happen because of many factors, but I believe it was mainly the wing angle.

These were my first FAR craft, so I sort of expected to have issues.  Fortunately I have learned a lot and the craft I have been making recently have been much more successful.  Seeing the design of the arenas, and the elevations the battles are taking place will help as well.

I am looking forward to the next tournament to see if I can do a bit better.

Edited by SasquatchM

Wait, your first craft???

Wow, that is a really good craft, it could have won, the flying wing was neat, the only problem was that it was too pitch stable and too yaw unstable, some rudders on the top wouldn't hurt IMO.

I am sending the crafts of the two first battles to @DoctorDavinci now so that he can start building the tier 2 :D

I think that with scatterer I can use some different tag and still have both markers visible, will test that on the next battle.

That awkward moment when you submit your design and realize it has trouble fighting really slow opponents (I.E. the Dummy)

Anyways, I hope that won't be an issue in this tournament.

As well as the AI's stupid tendency to put the craft into a flat spin... :mad:

Awesome videos so far @tetryds! The locations look amazing @SuicidalInsanity! Having a blast watching the battles so far and I really would love to play around those carriers in the sea once the mod gets released.

The pace at which the battles are released is really nice. Can we expect the last battle of round 1 to happen this week? I'm on the bottom of the list and I can't wait to see how my plane performs!

5 minutes ago, Veeltch said:

Can we expect the last battle of round 1 to happen this week?

Nope, that is too much for me, unfortunately.

Maybe in two or three weeks, I won't rush it though, will rather to finish the tournament around when 1.1 and all mods release.

4 minutes ago, tetryds said:

Nope, that is too much for me, unfortunately.

Maybe in two or three weeks, I won't rush it though, will rather to finish the tournament around when 1.1 and all mods release.

Cool. No pressure then. I'm a uni student myself and I'm actually impressed by how you manage the time to run the whole tournament and keep studying at the same time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.