WW2 BAD-T 2 - BDA AI Dogfight Tournament [SEMIFINALS]

tetryds

16 minutes ago, SasquatchM said:

I know the B9 Procedural wings are a bit flaky still as well, but there are a couple work-arounds

I haven't been able to get B9 to work in 1.1 yet at all

BD Armory, the BAD T Props, Vessel Switcher, FAR and Vessel Mover work along with Firespitter but Procedural Parts still doesn't register in 1.1 AFAICT

Edited by DoctorDavinci

@SasquatchM Not yet, they will be updated for BAD-T 3, but you can pick the latest SXT propellers pack and throw the cfgs on it, should work fine, as I don't think anything changed on the cfgs.

You can always check them out to see if there is a new parameter or something like that.

3 hours ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I haven't been able to get B9 to work in 1.1 yet at all

BD Armory, the BAD T Props, Vessel Switcher, FAR and Vessel Mover work along with Firespitter but Procedural Parts still doesn't register in 1.1 AFAICT

26082686434_e242b2d7f5_b.jpg

There's an issue with the shader and some odd symmetry quirk, but Crzyrndm's maintenance fork works fine. My craft seem to have gained a couple of tonnes too though, and I can't see where yet.

The UI & the lighting on the other hand need considerable work, so I'm happily staying with 1.0.5...

Edited by Van Disaster

1 hour ago, Van Disaster said:

My craft seem to have gained a couple of tonnes too though, and I can't see where yet.

I did a comparison of 1.0.5 and both the x86 and the x64 versions of 1.1 ... The pictures are below

I'm going to pull out one of my jets and remove the BD Armoury parts from it to make it completely stock and do the same thing so we can find out whether it is mods that are changing the weight or if 1.1 itself is changing the weight

Perhaps @SQUAD changed the weight of some of the parts but I don't remember hearing anything about this

EDIT: It was FAR

Edited by DoctorDavinci

@DoctorDavinci Nah, it was FAR, some mass stuff changed and FAR didn't update accordingly.

Blame on @ferram4.

Shouldn't be too worried about BAD-T 3 already though, remember a few rules will change which may mean some crafts will have to adapt by then.

But yeah you can continue playing around and experimenting with new designs, that will help for sure.

Just now, luftein said:

If flying wings are always allow I'll prepare a new one

So far your ARSH Force One is doing quite well in Tier 2 ... You made it to the semi finals and will be going up against the Hurles Bot Richard

Personally I'd love to see another one although, like tetryds said, BAD T3 is a little ways away yet and I'm not sure of what the new rules will be (that's his department, I'm just a cameraman :wink:)

The history of tailless aircraft is interesting reading - I wonder about an alternate history where the British Air Ministry thought the Westland Pterodactyl was a good idea ( in 1928! ) and there was over a decade of work on the things before WW2. If it hadn't been for the Schneider trophy the RAF would probably have still been using biplanes in 1939...

Also this is madder than any of the wierd german stuff:

0b3e5414baa82c8acb4f361ed33c7cb7d4ccc3e9

Edited by Van Disaster

Flying wings will be allowed, what will change are mostly some parts specs, I find the aircraft building rules to be very suitable, I would only rather airplanes to have actual fuselages, because some of them were simply the thinnest possible structural piece that would fit.

Another rules that will change will be about submissions and qualification of crafts, tiering and judging.

No battles today :( was implementing some stuff on MAF.

1 hour ago, tetryds said:

Flying wings will be allowed, what will change are mostly some parts specs, I find the aircraft building rules to be very suitable, I would only rather airplanes to have actual fuselages, because some of them were simply the thinnest possible structural piece that would fit.

Another rules that will change will be about submissions and qualification of crafts, tiering and judging.

No battles today :( was implementing some stuff on MAF.

Flying wings don't technically have fuselages, though :P

In lieu of an actual battle then, here's some WW2 jet combat ( with real levels of thrust, albeit not quite real levels of weight ).

Spoiler

All pilots taking part were summarily dismissed afterwards, that was some monumentally terrible flying :P

Edited by Van Disaster

Wow, good uptake on the engine question folks, thanks!

9 hours ago, SasquatchM said:

On a related note, are the Bad T engines updated as of yet?  I feel a strong urge for some 1.1 dogfight goodness.

In some ways it would make me quite happy if not all the mods are working properly yet - I've just bunged everything into 1.1 anyway ready or not and I'm having nightmares, but I genuinely don't know if it's the tech or my design. Faulty or absent animations with wings and engines and the odd freeze aside it actually plays ok, but my plane which should be absolutely fine is flying like a badly weighted fishing lure and I don't know why...

8 hours ago, Vigelius said:

Wow, good uptake on the engine question folks, thanks!

In some ways it would make me quite happy if not all the mods are working properly yet - I've just bunged everything into 1.1 anyway ready or not and I'm having nightmares, but I genuinely don't know if it's the tech or my design. Faulty or absent animations with wings and engines and the odd freeze aside it actually plays ok, but my plane which should be absolutely fine is flying like a badly weighted fishing lure and I don't know why...

Apparently FAR does change the weight calc in the game which I'm sure @ferram4 will remedy in short order.

The BAD T Props mod for this challenge works fine in 1.1 as long as you have the updated Firespitter for 1.1 installed, although I believe that there will be some tweaks done to the config files of the BAD T Props for BAD T3.

There are 3 mods that AFAIK do not work properly in 1.1 ... they are 'Take Command' (for launching a kerbal in a command seat), 'Procedural Parts' (apparently there is a fork of the mod that partially works, @Van Disaster mentioned this above) and 'Adjustable Landing Gear' (which works but you are unable to adjust the gear)

I'm sure that these mods will be updated to 1.1 within a reasonable amount of time ... And don't forget to thank and support your friendly neighborhood KSP modder as they don't get paid for creating such amazing additions to the best game ever created

I pushed a possible fix for the wing mass issue to the FAR github if any of you want to test and make sure it works.  Didn't replace the base mass of the wing parts, so they're a lot heavier than they should be right now.

15 minutes ago, ferram4 said:

I pushed a possible fix for the wing mass issue to the FAR github if any of you want to test and make sure it works.  Didn't replace the base mass of the wing parts, so they're a lot heavier than they should be right now.

Checking now ... will report back shortly

EDIT: Apparently your fix worked for the most part, my Bad Company now weighs 6.9 tons in the SPH (a discrepancy of 0.1 tons from 1.0.5)

Thanks

Edited by DoctorDavinci

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

I'm sure that these mods will be updated to 1.1 within a reasonable amount of time ... And don't forget to thank and support your friendly neighborhood KSP modder as they don't get paid for creating such amazing additions to the best game ever created

This a million times, of course!

Don't mistake my confusion and amusement for impatience or frustration.

Ferram4's updated .dll solved the problem as my crafts are back to their normal weight within an acceptable error margin (0.1 tons) ... go to his Github for FAR and download the .dll he uploaded today and replace the one in the /Gamedata/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins folder with it

Another Second Tier battle has been uploaded to the tube ... @SuicidalInsanity's IA-7 Brigand III B vs @pyrosheep's F-1 Cobra A

There is only one more battle left for round 2 of the BAD T2 Second Tier (@Noir's Ne Fx2 D13 vs @Veeltch's W1LC2 21) which will be recorded in the next day or so, however I will be refraining from posting any more Tier 2 battles after that one in order for @tetryds to catch up

Edited by DoctorDavinci

Procedural Parts works just fine - you need a maintenance update of B9 procedural wings ( which is the thing with some minor issues ). I use Crzyrndm's version which is basically a "keep it working" fork of the original, but there's another fork with some extra features.

Having hit 550mph in level flight at 1km alt in a single-engined turnfighter I think the prop cfgs do need a little work :P  If only we could take these things to Reno...

The final battle of round 2 in the BAD T2 Second Tier has been uploaded to the tube

There are only 4 battles left ... The two semi-final matches, the bronze medal match between the two defeated craft from the semi-finals and then the Final battle

Good luck to you all

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.