Jump to content

Extrasolar: Planets Beyond Kerbol | Planet and Moon Discussion


AndrewDraws
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, it's me AJ

Why not make a tiny, tiny planetoid that's only 100 meters in diameter - the smallest planet/moon in the entire game - which orbits somewhat close to Mir and skims the edge of its ionosphere a little bit?

BUT IT HAS A SECRET!!!!

Somehow, for some unknown reason that baffles Kerbals no matter how many times they study it, it's habitable. It even has its own breatheable atmosphere, blue sky and ecosystem and a few bodies of water, and even ice caps, and there's evidence that a miniscule species of extraterrestrials once lived there but may have gone extinct or traveled underground immediately after knowing that a species of green-skinned giants knows about their small (literally) insignificant world.

As for my frequently asked-about suggestion Braek, (go with this name, IMO it's the most Kerbal one :)) the broken exoplanet that has huge chunks ripped off from it that orbit around it as false satellites, to make it look even more broken there could be some super-deep cracks and fissures all over the planet, some reaching to the planet's still-molten core. Braek could be very close to Valentine in a slightly inclined orbit, and maybe it'd be the size of Kerbin, and since its tidally locked, it'd probably be blasted and burnt on one side by Valentine's solar flares. So due to being so close to its parent star Braek could be a primarily volcanic world.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello. Why not make a moon the size of Gilly (please make it look better :Dthat orbits quite close to Mir. Now, what would make it interesting? How about being covered with thin mountain ranges (or deep canyons, depending on your perspective) that would give a beautiful view of Mir from the top of, but not much interesting from the valleys.

POSSIBLE NAMES:

  • Ridgas
  • Lenpol
  • Anything else you come up with.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

Hi, it's me AJ

Why not make a tiny, tiny planetoid that's only 100 meters in diameter - the smallest planet/moon in the entire game - which orbits somewhat close to Mir and skims the edge of its ionosphere a little bit?

BUT IT HAS A SECRET!!!!

Somehow, for some unknown reason that baffles Kerbals no matter how many times they study it, it's habitable. It even has its own breatheable atmosphere, blue sky and ecosystem and a few bodies of water, and even ice caps, and there's evidence that a miniscule species of extraterrestrials once lived there but may have gone extinct or traveled underground immediately after knowing that a species of green-skinned giants knows about their small (literally) insignificant world.

As for my frequently asked-about suggestion Braek, (go with this name, IMO it's the most Kerbal one :)) the broken exoplanet that has huge chunks ripped off from it that orbit around it as false satellites, to make it look even more broken there could be some super-deep cracks and fissures all over the planet, some reaching to the planet's still-molten core. Braek could be very close to Valentine in a slightly inclined orbit, and maybe it'd be the size of Kerbin, and since its tidally locked, it'd probably be blasted and burnt on one side by Valentine's solar flares. So due to being so close to its parent star Braek could be a primarily volcanic world.

 

Your ideas are undoubtedly creative, but they are not the most realistic things in the world. If an orbiting object was to dip well into the ionosphere, this would cause it to deorbit after millions of years. Also, the tidal forces on a rocky object approaching that close would probably be well past its roche limit. As for "Braek" it makes no sense for the canyons to be going as far down as its core. There would be a point where the canyon would go so far down and become so hot, that the walls of the canyon would just melt. Not only that, but planets would significant mass really like to be circular because of how much gravity they have. If you can come up with some planet ideas that are realistic and could possibly exist in real life, that would be preferable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Your ideas are undoubtedly creative, but they are not the most realistic things in the world. If an orbiting object was to dip well into the ionosphere, this would cause it to deorbit after millions of years. Also, the tidal forces on a rocky object approaching that close would probably be well past its roche limit. As for "Braek" it makes no sense for the canyons to be going as far down as its core. There would be a point where the canyon would go so far down and become so hot, that the walls of the canyon would just melt. Not only that, but planets would significant mass really like to be circular because of how much gravity they have. If you can come up with some planet ideas that are realistic and could possibly exist in real life, that would be preferable.

Thank you, but since you want em to be a bit more realistic, maybe the planetoid could be like a bit close but still orbiting high above Mir, with a beautiful view of the planet at all angles. I think you may have two choices ;)

Here's a name I thought up for it:

M-68345a

Braek's canyons could just go halfway into its outer mantle and still be very hot, and the ripped-off areas wouldn't quite reach the inner core, they'd most likely reach the outer core. For a planet like that, it'd probably have an unstable rotation due to having so much mass ripped away from it, and its gravity would be equal to half of the Mun's gravity. To look more broken I think it'd have its tectonic plates erupting from the crust ruggedly and messily, and a lot of volcanoes which often erupt. Due to being so close it'd probably be partially melted on one side almost like a titanic ice-cream cone :P

So you'd have to bring a lot of heat-resistant parts with you or you risk exploding if you land in the craters or a canyon, or on the melted side.

here's what I imagine Braek to look like but it'll probably look more broken than this:

cracked_planet_2_by_schwungsau-d3l4k7t.j

Edited by AJTheMighty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, AJTheMighty said:

here's what I imagine Braek to look like but it'll probably look more broken than this:

Yes, but you forget gravity! Any planet that has that much of a chunk taken out of it will be rounded after millions of years. Perhaps the best "broken planet" I've seen in KSP is Leouch from the New Horizons pack.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Daeridanii said:

Yes, but you forget gravity! Any planet that has that much of a chunk taken out of it will be rounded after millions of years. Perhaps the best "broken planet" I've seen in KSP is Leouch from the New Horizons pack.

@Daeridanii

Yeah, so Braek could be like that, but it'd be much, much, MUCH MORE cracked and barren and still have two chunks ripped free from it and orbiting it as proto-satellites; and some cracks could head to the outer core. Some of its tectonic plates could be breaking free from the crust and floating on seas of magma like titanic desert islands, and if anything falls in the magma rivers they'd overheat quickly and explode. Since it has a gravity a quarter of the Mun's own gravity, the areas where its chunks once where, and its cracks would not smooth out and remain rough and jagged. Its atmosphere has also been swept free and focused into a halo-shaped ring of gas in which Kerbals are able to breathe over the barren, destroyed-ish world.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Here is another suggestion in addition to my first two, Braek and M-68345a, and it's more interesting than the first two:

At first, this planet appears to be an unusually oval-shaped terrestrial exoplanet with dozens of sharp, rugged mountains that pierce the ionosphere, but take a closer look at the surface, and you are rewarded with an incredible vista; a green-blue sky and an immense, multicolored landscape of millions of blinding crystals of every variety as far as the eye can see. Confirmed by evidence found at the KSC Research and Development center, the planet has a thin crust and mantle with far larger crystals on the hollow inside, the core suspended with a few thin pieces of mantle, the entire planet essentially a gigantic geode.

Potential names:

Ermobe

Zix

Whatever name you can come up with

Edited by AJTheMighty
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, AJTheMighty said:

@Daeridanii

Yeah, so Braek could be like that, but it'd be much, much, MUCH MORE cracked and barren and still have two chunks ripped free from it and orbiting it as proto-satellites; and some cracks could head to the outer core. Some of its tectonic plates could be breaking free from the crust and floating on seas of magma like titanic desert islands, and if anything falls in the magma rivers they'd overheat quickly and explode. Since it has a gravity a quarter of the Mun's own gravity, the areas where its chunks once where, and its cracks would not smooth out and remain rough and jagged. Its atmosphere has also been swept free and focused into a halo-shaped ring of gas in which Kerbals are able to breathe over the barren, destroyed-ish world.

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

Here is another suggestion in addition to my first two, Braek and M-68345a, and it's more interesting than the first two:

At first, this planet appears to be an unusually oval-shaped terrestrial exoplanet with dozens of sharp, rugged mountains that pierce the ionosphere, but take a closer look at the surface, and you are rewarded with an incredible vista; a green-blue sky and an immense, multicolored landscape of millions of blinding crystals of every variety as far as the eye can see. Confirmed by evidence found at the KSC Research and Development center, the planet has a thin crust and mantle with far larger crystals on the hollow inside, the core suspended with a few thin pieces of mantle, the entire planet essentially a gigantic geode.

Potential names:

Ermobe

Zix

Whatever name you can come up with

Like I've said previously, the cracks wouldn't be able to go down that far while still staying solid. The cracks wouldn't be able to go down farther than the outer crust without completely falling apart and/or melting. It also doesn't make much sense for the atmosphere to be focused at the equator. The only way that could possibly happen is if the planet was rotating extremely fast. Even so, the planet would rip itself apart. As for your new idea, again, the planet wouldn't stay oval-shaped. Due to the magic of gravity it would quickly turn into a sphere. Assuming the planet has an atmosphere about as thick as the Earth's and with a similar structure, the mountains would have to reach 60 to 1,000 km in order to reach the ionosphere. Not only would this look ridiculous, but it is also in no way realistic. The mountains would very quickly be eroded apart and pushed closer to the surface by gravity. I'm also not very sure as to how crystals could support the weight of an entire planet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey. I've got an idea for you: Poffo   This moon would orbit Mir and would be roughly 2x Gilly's Size. The structure of the planet would resemble something like...I don't know...a snow poff. *BLATANTLY OBVIOUS UNDERTALE REFERENCE* Anyway, the surface would be soft, rolling hills with the occasional mountain/mountain range to spice it up. Maybe a couple of canyons, I dunno. The color of the planet would be a greyish-white, and darker in some areas. Somewhat like the color of Eeloo, without the dirt patches. Since its small and REALLY hard to get to (not that its orbiting a planet that's orbiting a different star entirely.) the science multipliers should be quite high. 

That's my suggestion for this mod. I use it quite a lot and it would be nice (but not essential) to have implemented. 

 

Thanks,

Saurodye

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:34 AM, Daeridanii said:

Hello. Why not make a moon the size of Gilly (please make it look better :Dthat orbits quite close to Mir. Now, what would make it interesting? How about being covered with thin mountain ranges (or deep canyons, depending on your perspective) that would give a beautiful view of Mir from the top of, but not much interesting from the valleys.

POSSIBLE NAMES:

  • Ridgas
  • Lenpol
  • Anything else you come up with.

I think that asteroid moons are pretty boring. Do you mind if I scratch the idea for Conext?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a moon idea for Mir:

Name: Whatever the heck you feel like calling it, I'm not very creative with names.

Characteristics: It would have a mass roughly that of the Moon (About 92%), and would be covered in Ice, with a small iron core, the atmosphere on the moon would be 24% of Kerbins atmosphere, and is made of Water, Carbon dioxide, Methane, and small amounts of Oxygen (Which suggests that there's an underground ocean with microbial life) the average temperature is -23 c, and during its summer, liquid water would spill out on the surface at the equator, the moon is completely covered in clouds with large storm systems due to all the water vapor in the atmosphere. It has a very eccentric orbit around Mir, with an periapsis of 3,500,000, and an apoapsis of 9,800,000, it's doesn't have a very inclined orbit with an inclination of 1.3%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Spaceception said:

I have a moon idea for Mir:

Name: Whatever the heck you feel like calling it, I'm not very creative with names.

Characteristics: It would have a mass roughly that of the Moon (About 92%), and would be covered in Ice, with a small iron core, the atmosphere on the moon would be 24% of Kerbins atmosphere, and is made of Water, Carbon dioxide, Methane, and small amounts of Oxygen (Which suggests that there's an underground ocean with microbial life) the average temperature is -23 c, and during its summer, liquid water would spill out on the surface at the equator, the moon is completely covered in clouds with large storm systems due to all the water vapor in the atmosphere. It has a very eccentric orbit around Mir, with an periapsis of 3,500,000, and an apoapsis of 9,800,000, it's doesn't have a very inclined orbit with an inclination of 1.3%

Honestly, I don't think the storm systems you describe would work. You see, Mir is orbiting a M class star, which I assume is fairly young. M-class stars, or red dwarfs, give off a lesser amount of light than the Sun. Storm systems on Earth are formed by difference in temperature on the surface, combined with the rather thick atmosphere to produce winds from that difference. These winds then form fronts, which in turn forms our various types of weather.  Your proposed moon, as you explain it, doesn't have the atmospheric capacity to produce even the most feeble storms. Furthermore, your temperature of -23 degrees Celsius wouldn't allow water vapor to form. Lastly, Mir's doesn't have an axial tilt. Earth's axial tilt allows it to have seasons as the planet progresses through it's orbit. Even with your moon's orbital parameters, it wouldn't have the capacity to have a summer. So please, next time you think of a suggestion...Remember Science:cool:

 

This PSA message is brought to you by Saurodye. Thank you.      Im not an native English speaker, so cut me some slack please!

Edited by saurodye
ERRORS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an idea for a moon of Mir: A moon 1/3 the size and 28% the mass of Mir, which forms a binary relationship with it. This moon would have a grey-red surface with several dark spots. It is based off of Charon. I don't have a name; Give it any name you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

I have an idea for a moon of Mir: A moon 1/3 the size and 28% the mass of Mir, which forms a binary relationship with it. This moon would have a grey-red surface with several dark spots. It is based off of Charon. I don't have a name; Give it any name you want.

I like that idea better than mine :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh! Oh! Another suggestion! The name of the Moon would be Xycsi (Pronounced Zicsci) 10% the mass of Mir, with a very close in orbit. (Maybe just outside the ionosphere) The moon's surface would be as erratic as my social life, due to the tidal forces exerted by Mir. It would have a very slow rotation period. The best way I could explain this is a backstory that you could use as a description.*AHEM* Long ago, orbiting a star not very far away relative to universal scale, Mir had a small normal moon at a normal distance away from it. But like the moons of Mars, something strange was afoot. (or afloat, because your weightless in space) Throughout the eons, Xycsi was moving closer, and closer, and closer still. Now Xycsi is where it stands today, near the edge of its final death plunge. The poor moon, battered by gravity, was nearly torn apart by its own rotation as it approached Mir. (which explains it's EXTREMELY slow rotation period and insane surface) Soon, the war against gravity will end, and gravity will inevitably win. Xysci will soon meet it's demise as it impacts the icy surface of Mir, leaving a scar made by what was once Mir's companion.   THE END

 

Hoped you liked my little poetic backstory! Feel free to aim your SAM's of Science if I broke the laws of physics or something minor like that.

Thanks,

Saurodye

Edited by saurodye
Made it more dramatic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it), I am going to stop development for a little bit and have some fun with Real Solar System. Development has in no way permanently stopped, I just want to take a break for a little bit. I hope you understand. Also, some unrelated news. Once this mod hits version 1.0, I am going to start developing a new mod along side Extrasolar. I plan on naming it RSS Extrasolar, Real Extrasolar, or something similar. It would be similar to Extrasolar, but instead add a solar system that actually exists that would orbit around the Sun in Real Solar System. I haven't seen this been done, so I thought it would be interesting. Feel free to suggest which solar system you would like me to recreate in KSP!

Edited by AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/29/2016 at 0:45 PM, AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures said:

Once this mod hits version 1.0, I am going to start developing a new mod along side Extrasolar. I plan on naming it RSS Extrasolar, Real Extrasolar, or something similar. It would be similar to Extrasolar, but instead add a solar system that actually exists that would orbit around the Sun in Real Solar System. I haven't seen this been done, so I thought it would be interesting. Feel free to suggest which solar system you would like me to recreate in KSP!

This is cool, but I'm doing something similar in Interstellar Adventure Revived. I have dibs on K2-3, HR 8832, 55 Cancri, PSR-B1257+12, and Kepler-296.:wink: But anyways, I can't wait to see how that mod comes out!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/3/2016 at 6:47 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

This is cool, but I'm doing something similar in Interstellar Adventure Revived. I have dibs on K2-3, HR 8832, 55 Cancri, PSR-B1257+12, and Kepler-296.:wink: But anyways, I can't wait to see how that mod comes out!

That's cool. Don't worry, you don't have to worry about me stealing which solar systems you are creating. I'm thinking about making the trinary star system Gliese 667.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures 

SOOOOO...

Braek the broken planet could be very close to Valentine like I mentioned, and not only would vast, vast chunks be ripped away from it and that chunk is orbiting Braek as its "moon" and that it's super light due to this, it's also cracked deeply at what's left of its tectonic plates, and there is a lot of volcanic activity on the surface, and what's left of oceans would be lava and at the area where the chunk ripped free - it'd be extremely hot there - also the cracks would reach very deep into the planet's mantle, and it is an inevitable long fall if you jump into one of Braek's deep canyons.

And as for M-68345a the habitable 100m asteroid, it'll actually just a very water rich asteroid with a rotating iron core. The whole thing could be surrounded in a habitable, breathable atmosphere but for Kerbonauts, it'd just be a small world, but with the Mun's gravity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:47 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

This is cool, but I'm doing something similar in Interstellar Adventure Revived. I have dibs on K2-3, HR 8832, 55 Cancri, PSR-B1257+12, and Kepler-296.:wink: But anyways, I can't wait to see how that mod comes out!

For some reason I am unable to add or edit planets in Real Solar System. Do you know why this is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...