Anyone have any KSP Film ideas? (+film questions)

Clockwork13

I tried creating a simple KSP film a long time ago, and it was terrible to say the least. Mainly because I at the time didn't know how to get rid of the HUD, didn't know how to record anything in HD, and could do limited stuff with the camera. These issues however are all fixed now, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for a KSP film that I should try.

EDIT: I also was wondering if I should add any more mods to make my KSP films better. I already have a good skybox, good visual mods, Kerbcam, MovieTime, and CameraTools

Edited by Clockwork13

3 minutes ago, Clockwork13 said:

I tried creating a simple KSP film a long time ago, and it was terrible to say the least. Mainly because I at the time didn't know how to get rid of the HUD, didn't know how to record anything in HD, and could do limited stuff with the camera. These issues however are all fixed now, so I was wondering if you guys had any ideas for a KSP film that I should try.

Asteroid about to impact Kerbin, team has to stop it. (Cliche, I know)

I once had an idea for a film called Merely Kerman.

It was about a kerbal called Merely (yes, that name exists) and was heavily inspired by the films Moon and Sunshine (two amazing movies btw).

Anyways, Merely is the first kerbal to go to jool, sent to supervise the first supply ship before the second ship comes with the rest of the crew. However, as he aerobrakes at jool the atmospheric probe he deployed a few hours earlier slams into his heatshield, causing the ship to be severely damaged by the atmosphere. With power draining rapidly, the ship is bound to crash into vall if nothing is done. 

He has a dilemma: either shut off life support and sacrifice himself, but have enough power to put the ship in a stable orbit, or escape in the lander, leaving the rest of the crew without enough supplies to survive. 

Merely has visions of his father, one of the first people to land on the Mun, who tragically died in a rocket accident. 

At the end, Merely shuts off life support and sacrifices himself to be with his father.

I sincerely wanted to make it, but 1. i have no initiative, and 2. i haven't found Merely Kerman ever since.

Anyways, what do you think of the story?

4 minutes ago, quasarrgames said:

I once had an idea for a film called Merely Kerman.

It was about a kerbal called Merely (yes, that name exists) and was heavily inspired by the films Moon and Sunshine (two amazing movies btw).

Anyways, Merely is the first kerbal to go to jool, sent to supervise the first supply ship before the second ship comes with the rest of the crew. However, as he aerobrakes at jool the atmospheric probe he deployed a few hours earlier slams into his heatshield, causing the ship to be severely damaged by the atmosphere. With power draining rapidly, the ship is bound to crash into vall if nothing is done. 

He has a dilemma: either shut off life support and sacrifice himself, but have enough power to put the ship in a stable orbit, or escape in the lander, leaving the rest of the crew without enough supplies to survive. 

Merely has visions of his father, one of the first people to land on the Mun, who tragically died in a rocket accident. 

At the end, Merely shuts off life support and sacrifices himself to be with his father.

I sincerely wanted to make it, but 1. i have no initiative, and 2. i haven't found Merely Kerman ever since.

Anyways, what do you think of the story?

That sounds like an AWESOME idea! Super sad and cool! I'd watch it.

When you say film, I assume you mean short and the problem with people suggesting ideas is, they don't know what you have to work with.

How good is your editing? Are you able to do VFX? What props would you be willing to edit in in post-production? Do you have a lot of time to commit to this or not?

I made a Star Wars trailer parody. There's about 3 shots of VFX, some post-editing, stuff I modded into the game myself. It took about 60 hours to make for a three minute short.

It isn't helpful to think or ask for anything. People won't always suggest what is realistic.

Look at what you have, what you can build, what props you can use. There is so little in KSP to tell a story from a personal POV that "good" stories or shorts are near impossible. People often resort to radio comms from outside the ship because we can't animate Kerbals. Unless you want walking, jumping, running or planting a flag, there's little in the way of storytelling on a humanistic level. We get the same tropes (asteroid impact/shuttle failures/crashes) because that is what KSP limits us to. You need to work around the material you have and work to your abilities and strengths.

I'm not saying don't do it, because KSP is such a wonderful medium to work with, but the best work you can do can only come from your ideas.

I hope this feels as encouraging as I mean it to be, because I do love seeing what others come up with, I know it's hard but trust me, your own ideas work best.

I'm LOADED with ideas. Ask me anytime, I'll have about 30, the only problem is I lack the computer and the ability to make them. So if you ever want more, I'm always loaded.

Heres just a short list of ones on the top of my head:

• Jool Diver- following the adventures prior to and leading up to a climatic dive of a Kerbalnaut into Jool's heart
  • Probe Colony- Show a bunch of probes working on the surface of another planet working to survive
  • Dres Colony- show what life is like on the loneliest rock around Kerbol.
  • Planetary Miners- show life for a bunch of Kerbals staying on a site (or show them moving along like pioneers)
  • Speaking of, Laythe City, show life for citizens living on Laythe as it becomes developed, eventually leading to a rebellion similar to the American Colonies rebelling against Britain.
  • Kerpollo 18- basically do a horror short with the Kerbals as the astronauts and some "thing" else.
  • Continuing Macey's Dream- need I say more?
  • Back To The Past- A BTTF retake where a 1.0 Kerbal goes back to version .7 and explore's they're world
  • Kops- a police-like show which shows Kerbal cops chasing bad guys.

let me know if you need more.

"Kerbin" is a distortion of its original name.. The planet kerbal is its true name..

All that endless green on kerbin.. Is not grass but actually the fabric of kerbal.. A great link of lifeforce that buds like a flower to produce kerbals in the spring

The entire planet IS a kerbal.. This explains why KSC is the only building

Kerbals are the self aware seed of kerbin.. Using KSC. To venture out into the stars to spread thier race

That and when they eat a banana an amazing transformation occurs! Eric kermin IS BANANAMAN!

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.