What's Next?

uglyduckling81

So I'm wondering what's next for KSP ?

Obviously I'm talking post 1.1 and it's inevitable stability patches. Will we get an official expansion to look forward to?

Something like more in depth Kerbal AI, so you can design rockets and have Kerbals fly them up and automate tasks? Their success and ability based on skill level etc, adding RPG type elements to the game.

Or an official outer planets expansion or even better a second solar system? Just spit balling the first things that come to mind.

Perhaps adding weather systems to planets including wind, rain, storms etc. I'm really interested to hear Squads thoughts on the long term plan.

Or will the game simply be finished and they move onto something new.

Edited by uglyduckling81

Last I heard some time after 1.1 (most likely 1.2) there will be a rocket part revamp and overall graphics overhaul to the game.

Also, don't forget that multiplayer is still in the works. I doubt we will see that any time soon, but I'm sure it'll come out nonetheless.

Edited by Rthsom

Right now though they have sold 1M+ copies of the game. They have made $X amount of cash. So long as the improvements they are doing keep bringing in new buyers they can continue to update for free. At some point they will need to start thinking of a new source of income.so i'm sort of hoping for an official expansion to add some missing feature or flesh out an area of the game. Like Paradox do with their games.

4 minutes ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Right now though they have sold 1M+ copies of the game. They have made $X amount of cash. So long as the improvements they are doing keep bringing in new buyers they can continue to update for free. At some point they will need to start thinking of a new source of income.so i'm sort of hoping for an official expansion to add some missing feature or flesh out an area of the game. Like Paradox do with their games.

Originally (aka quite a while ago) Squad said they want to keep working on the game, release free updates (like 1.1), and also bring expansions later.

Edited by Temeter

30 minutes ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Hopefully that's still the plan.

Of course, why not, as long as the dev team isn't totally tired of working on KSP. It's only now getting ported to another engine, and there is massive potential to build in new systems that not even mods can touch.

Still waiting for the day you can IVA move thru your ships and stations and do whole missions that way ~

I'm hoping for in-game behind the scenes automation. Leave instructions for your Kerbals or the flight computer, and have it happen during the "on rails" time while I'm doing something else. Something like the Planetary Logistics from USI

I have an idea. In career mode, after a certain amount of time, Kerbin will end, and you must build a giant evacuation ship capable to transport the population to a new world, IDK, like earth or a terraformed Duna, it will give the community something to think about.

PREPARE FOR EPIC STORY: Your space program has thrived throughout the centuries, never died down or got buried in history like most others, you have started off with simple buildings with simple tech, who knows, you might even have started off as a BARN, and expanded and built up tech to this day. But now Kerbin will be no more. (insert story about failed asteroid redirection or red giant sun) You must build a evacuation craft, capable of trasporting the population to a new world. It's your choice to do it all at once, in a gigantic Kentrerprise warp ship, or a generation ship, or do it gradually, a giant space station built in orbit, or many small warp crafts. We have given you <insert astronomical amount of money here> to do it. You must do it in <insert something like 2 years>. The fate of the Kerbal species depends on you. Good luck.

This is what happens when you make me listen to like an inspiration music thingy.

I have too much free time.

PS: You have a choice to evacuate to a terraformed planet in the (Kerbal) system, or head to the far, far, far away E38HAB or the "Earth" (epicness overload :0.0:)

Edited by AeronautEdward
moar stuffz

56 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Well, the comms relay will be finished for 1.2, and probably the new shiny Unity5 shaders, I think we'll see a content update next though :)

Uh, the last shader update brought us reentry stuff <3

3 hours ago, AeronautEdward said:

I have an idea. In career mode, after a certain amount of time, Kerbin will end, and you must build a giant evacuation ship capable to transport the population to a new world, IDK, like earth or a terraformed Duna, it will give the community something to think about.

PREPARE FOR EPIC STORY: Your space program has thrived throughout the centuries, never died down or got buried in history like most others, you have started off with simple buildings with simple tech, who knows, you might even have started off as a BARN, and expanded and built up tech to this day. But now Kerbin will be no more. (insert story about failed asteroid redirection or red giant sun) You must build a evacuation craft, capable of trasporting the population to a new world. It's your choice to do it all at once, in a gigantic Kentrerprise warp ship, or a generation ship, or do it gradually, a giant space station built in orbit, or many small warp crafts. We have given you <insert astronomical amount of money here> to do it. You must do it in <insert something like 2 years>. The fate of the Kerbal species depends on you. Good luck.

This is what happens when you make me listen to like an inspiration music thingy.

I have too much free time.

PS: You have a choice to evacuate to a terraformed planet in the (Kerbal) system, or head to the far, far, far away E38HAB or the "Earth" (epicness overload :0.0:)

1: Barn? Was that a Roninpawn reference?

2: If you're saying this'd happen in career after hundreds of years, that may need adjusting. Most careers are done before centuries game time have passed. At least, the tech tree can be completed in that time.

3: I feel like this'd be better as a different game mode, or a scenario the game offers, not a stock thing. Interesting idea though :)

1 hour ago, uglyduckling81 said:

Feel like VR would be just an addition that might happen for everyone that owns the game rather than some kind of paid expansion pack. It would be an amazing addition though.

True, that makes sense - I would be willing to pay money for it, though, because like you I expect it would be amazing!

21 hours ago, Choctofliatrio2.0 said:

1: Barn? Was that a Roninpawn reference?

2: If you're saying this'd happen in career after hundreds of years, that may need adjusting. Most careers are done before centuries game time have passed. At least, the tech tree can be completed in that time.

3: I feel like this'd be better as a different game mode, or a scenario the game offers, not a stock thing. Interesting idea though :)

On number 3, I agree, IDK the name though. For scenario, Evacuation: Kerbin, and for the gamemode, IDK, like Doomsday?

Personally I'd just like the ability to actually run a space program.  Like having to worry about salaries, craft and structure build times, science taking time, realistic goals, the ability to steer the direction of said goals, things like that.  Career mode is seriously lacking.

Otherwise KSP and its upcoming features are pretty much perfect.

A time warp in reverse, so say you quicksave en route to some station at 500Km, and you save 6 orbits before. Cut to docking scene, and you end up coming in too close--WHAM! But you've gotta wait another 5 orbits to do it again, plus docking, maneuvers, etc? With the ability to time warp in reverse, that horrible thing 7 seconds ago can be done over, and right, as opposed to entirely retrying the mission.

11 hours ago, AlextheBodacious said:

A time warp in reverse, so say you quicksave en route to some station at 500Km, and you save 6 orbits before. Cut to docking scene, and you end up coming in too close--WHAM! But you've gotta wait another 5 orbits to do it again, plus docking, maneuvers, etc? With the ability to time warp in reverse, that horrible thing 7 seconds ago can be done over, and right, as opposed to entirely retrying the mission.

You could always just, y'know, quicksave again a minute or so before you reach the station. ;)

I would love to see a graphical overhaul in 1.2. The visuals in stock KSP are seriously lacking right now, and I'd love to see Distant Object Enhancement, EVE, and Scatterer become stock. More detailed planet textures, and a better skybox, would be awesome too.

Edited by Mitchz95

What we know, instead of what we wish is:

The antenna thing

Graphics overhaul (yes!) including revamping rocket parts. Some devnote mentioned something about new shaders in Unity 5, so those are likely to be used

I think something was mentioned about an audio overhaul

Squad is looking at adding multiplayer

There was some talk about adding a dV readout to the VAB/SPH, but that wasn't mentioned in a long while

IMHO, and unfortunately, it still keeps KSP as a Kerbal Space Missions game, directed to Kerbin/Mun/Minmus instead of a simulation of a proper Space Program capable of exploring the Kerbol system.

Q4 2016 - Squad says enough - Sells rights to Disney.

Disney marketing tie ins - Kerbal stuff in stores, online, everywhere, revamped program overhaul featuring Disney Princesses as newly introduced Kerbals.

Next major star wars movie tie in with trailer for KSP.

(Gee, I wish Paramount/CBS would sell ST to Disney, look at it go ... Ugh.)

All kidding aside, I'll enjoy whatever comes after 1.1 as it occurs...

I'll enjoy 1.1 even sooner, just finally ordered my new replacement core I7 CPU and can try to resurrect my main rig at home. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.