Matt Lowne's SSTO Emporium

Matt Lowne

4 hours ago, SiLenT-KnIGhT said:

Hello @Matt Lowne  I was wondering how do you find the space center to land your Space Crafts. I am having trouble with it all the time

Put a marker on it. The classic way has always been launching a kerbal and planting a flag somewhere, but nowadays we can use waypoints placed using the map screen.

Rune. It's the small things that make a difference, sometimes.

1 hour ago, Rune said:

Put a marker on it. The classic way has always been launching a kerbal and planting a flag somewhere, but nowadays we can use waypoints placed using the map screen.

Rune. It's the small things that make a difference, sometimes.

I've personally just learned to recognize the continent and tiny patch of land to aim for. But yeah, markers help immensely.

1 hour ago, qzgy said:

I've personally just learned to recognize the continent and tiny patch of land to aim for. But yeah, markers help immensely.

Considering how dark nighttime on kerbin is (at least on map mode), it's still nice to have a marker to aim for.

Rune. KSC is always on the nightside when you go for it.

• 1 month later...

Hey Matt. I’m having a small problem getting one of my crafts to ssto. I’ve gotten it to orbit, but the Ascent angle is just far to specific for the joyriding I’m looking for. I’d post an image, but I’m on mobile. You’ll have to look at my craft repository. It’s the Dark Arrow SSTO and I just realized I put it under the aircraft section, not the spaceplane section.

• 3 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:37 AM, HazyTube said:

Where can i find the download for the one launch spacestation?

Monolith station link at the bottom of the first post.

Welcome to the forums! Lands of stories, questions, and games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Scaprod said:

I wish Matt could make a tutorial on how to make an Argus-Class SSTO and how to fly it.

I agree.

I wish Matt could make a tutorial on how to make an Argus-Class SSTO and how to fly it.

I agree.

I agree.

LOL he should come back to the forums.

It's the gravity assists he pulls off that i could not possibly replicate.    I did write a spaceplane tutorial last year.    The Argus is an old design.    Payload fraction / Delta V  are what define SSTO "efficiency",  the Argus has good  Delta V (4300 from LKO) but it is mostly fuel,  and doesn't carry many Kerbals for its size.        Most of my ready made SSTOs  are  designed to carry lots of Kerbals to Minmus or Duna easily,  but  I think if you're going further afield it makes sense to do mining or have a refuelling stop on Minmus or Duna.   

https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/MK1-Griffon-Deep-Space-Crew-Shuttle

11 seats and 3000dv in orbit for 40 tons.  

I did make a version with 2 of the cabins swapped for fuel tanks https://www.dropbox.com/s/xiwg7m7c47u1oyp/Griffon SP.craft?dl=0

.. and an even more hopped up version for @septemberWaves and her rescaled solar system - the  whiplash  engines were jettisonable and it had >4k delta v  in orbit with 0.6 to 1 TWR on its nukes in orbit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3enet77pm1jl5i/Starion2.craft?dl=0

Why don't you spin this off to a challenge, to make a 2018 Argus replacement - state the requirements and let people submit their craft - presumably needs 4k delta v,  at least 4 seats and a small cargo bay?

As regard instructions , all my craft on KerbalX have them, and some have videos showing the launch process too.    If you've not flown any of mine before, https://kerbalx.com/AeroGav/Auto-Ray has detailed instructions and a video.   It's quite forgiving too, but as a caveman tech design it hasn't got the performance you're after.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 8:38 AM, The Minmus Derp said:

I agree.

I agree.

I agree.

LOL he should come back to the forums.

I recently pushed an SSTO (Mk-1) to Minmus. I can't Duna though, the game bugs out on an encounter.

• 4 months later...
On 2/21/2016 at 1:02 PM, Matt Lowne said:

Dune Class

Before the Argus class, there was the Dune class. The second oldest class of spaceplane made by Spaceplane innovations (after the discontinued Revenge class),  these are lightweight, agile, and pack enough DeltaV for Duna, Minmus, Mun and Gilly. Flybys of planets further out are also possible. Dune 3 is the latest and greatest in this class, sporting 3 seats and a cosy interior. These are moderately difficult to use, but experienced pilots shouldn't have too much trouble. WARNING: You may need to replace the landing gear with larger ones if you're playing in 1.1 or later.
Video

Dune 3 Download 

The video is blocked or gone

Argus class SSTOs are crap, they are difficult to handle, one must be really experienced in SSTOs to use them, and i guess Matt should have submit his Jool 5 attempt, maybe he did use an SSTO to land on all Jool 5 members, even me (Tylo), its uncomfortable to not see Matt in Jool 5 challenges (not Acacius SSTO)

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.