Apollo Program Recreation [1.0.5]

Hey, fellow Kerbonauts!

As of the year I am posting this (2016), it has been nearly 50 years since man has stepped on the Moon. So in the honour of Niel Armstrong, Buzz aldrin and Michael Collins, I want everyone to try to contribute to this!

The Challenge

You must select 2 Apollo Missions to recreate, specifically, one before Apollo 11 and one after or of Apollo 11. Your presentation should come in a make-sense chronological way. Maybe a imagur album, or a small KSP video or film. Or even better, do it Nassalt style!

You need to record or take screenshots of your Apollo mission. Then make it into anything you like, as long as it is:

- In chronological order

- Follows what the Apollo mission you selected did

- Tells a clear story about the missions

Rules

- You MUST post both your entries in the same post.

- You MUST state what Apollo missions you are recreating.

- You MUST be doing an Apollo mission that actually has some flying involved. No Apollo 1, please.

- I will ONLY mark your entry when you have completed both recreations.

Mods

You may use any of the following mods:

- FASA

- KW rocketry

- Space Y heavy lifters

- Space Y expanded

- Kerb Cam

- Real Solar System/Realism Overhaul and any of its components

- Real Plume Stock Config Continued

- Kerbal Engineer Redux

- Mechjeb

If you want to use any other mods, please reply to this and let me know. I will then make a decision to approve or decline :).

Tips

Make it look as realistic as possible. Maybe do a bit of research on the Apolo program, that could help!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Remember that I wont be judging the flying as much as I will be judging the quality and creativity of your project. You may use mechjeb to help with flying if you arent a good pilot...

Perhaps add Kerbal voices and/or speech/naration!

Lastly, this is not a competition between people. This is only a challenge. So once you have made your entry, I will ratings of the following:

Presentation

Effort

Accuracy

Overall

Good luck and hope everyone has good fun making their entry!

Edited by XpertKerbalKSP
RULE UPDATE

2 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

I think I will give this a try.  I don't have all of the mods, but I think I can come up with something interesting with stock parts.

Well, good that I'm finally getting some activity here. Good luck, and I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Here is my rough draft recreation of Apollo 13:  http://imgur.com/a/476Qk

I was pressed for time tonight (work at 6am tomorrow) and struggled to get the oxygen tank explosion right so this took several tries and some creative use of non-sanctioned mod tools to reposition the craft to where I left off.  I had trouble recreating the top of the apollo ship, and also recreating the debris field caused by the oxygen tank explosion (might try a fairing shell next).  In these photos the "oxygen tank" is one of the monopropellant tanks sitting next to a small engine (my way of xploding the tank).  I did switch crew to the LM for that part of the story and then switched them back for re-entry.  Haven't figured out a good way to simulate the battery jumper (KAS?).  Also I tried to get the history right, but there are probably a few gaps.  I have a shot of the burn with the sun in the window, but forgot shots of them passing by the moon, and also of them fixing the earth in the window for another burn.  I'd also like to try some life support mod at some point to recreate the breathing and other problems.

Anyway, work in progress.  It is really annoying that the screenshot button is the same as the aerodynamic overlay button, so apologies.

2 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

I was pressed for time tonight (work at 6am tomorrow) and struggled to get the oxygen tank explosion right so this took several tries and some creative use of non-sanctioned mod tools to reposition the craft to where I left off.  I had trouble recreating the top of the apollo ship, and also recreating the debris field caused by the oxygen tank explosion (might try a fairing shell next).  In these photos the "oxygen tank" is one of the monopropellant tanks sitting next to a small engine (my way of xploding the tank).  I did switch crew to the LM for that part of the story and then switched them back for re-entry.  Haven't figured out a good way to simulate the battery jumper (KAS?).  Also I tried to get the history right, but there are probably a few gaps.  I have a shot of the burn with the sun in the window, but forgot shots of them passing by the moon, and also of them fixing the earth in the window for another burn.  I'd also like to try some life support mod at some point to recreate the breathing and other problems.

Anyway, work in progress.  It is really annoying that the screenshot button is the same as the aerodynamic overlay button, so apologies.

Well, it's pretty good for a rough draft :) . And yes, you may use a life support mod.

Some recommendations: I see that your rocket has a payload fairing containing the LM and CSM. Remember, I am marking accuracy too. This comes down to both the launcher and what happens. Not to say that yours is bad, but just a tip :).

Also, yes I understand that the aerodynamics overlay button is the same as the screenshot. What I recommend you do is make a copy of your KSP game and delete the folder that says something like "CSteam". That is what links your game to steam. By deleting it, you delete the controls of steam and you wont have 2 KSPs in your games list. Also, you may want to look up the default screenshot button in the settings menu.

Looking forward to seeing the real thing!

11 hours ago, dunebugmi said:

in your album the LM is seperated first. In real life they dumped the SM first 3 hours before (it was only there to protect the heat sheild)

Edited by The solid fuel chemist

On 3/4/2016 at 10:13 AM, Kokanee said:

First part of Apollo 8 mission: 

Amazing!

I'm impressed. This is high quality film work right there! Remember, you need to do two missions. One before and one of or after Apollo 11. It would also be prefered that you post both of them in the same post, because I'm getting a bit confused.

3 hours ago, Kokanee said:

Yeah, I have a new baby at home so I don't have a lot of free time; but still i can just wait until I'm done and then I'll post them. May be a few weeks though.

That's completely understandable. Take your time! If you rush, it may not come out as good as you like it!

Also, is there gonna be a second part to this video, or is it just an incomplete preview?

I don't think I have ever done a proper lunar orbit rendezvous mission profile with either the Mun or Moon. Always used direct ascent. So I thought, why not do the real thing?

Here's the first part, RO/RSS recreation of Apollo 4. I always simulate/test my more complicated rockets with a mission that doesn't do anything that requires too much effort (like planning manouvers) and see if the staging and systems work. Apollo 4 seemed like the perfect mission to imitate and test my approximation of Saturn V.

I will try to recreate Apollo 14 once I work out some issues with the craft, mainly related to how the lunar module is housed and how it tends to go all wibbily wobbly in time warp.

EDIT:

And here's the promised Apollo 14! Direct link.

Edited by Teutooni
Added 2nd part.

6 hours ago, MK3424 said:

Does it have to be in RSS? 

Because i tend to do missions in stock ksp, but as real as possible.

No, you don't have to. I'm not that good at RSS either. I've only been able to get into orbit once or twice.

10 hours ago, John FX said:

Here`s one I made earlier. It uses procedural fairings, realchutes and I had FAR installed. Most of the flight was in IVA including landing on Mun.

I will start work on a RSS/RO version soontm

Well, good job! That's a nice non-RSS Saturn V!

Now, you need to state which apollo mission it is. Also, please post both of your recreations in the same post. I've put that in the rule, just to let you know ^_^

16 hours ago, Teutooni said:

I don't think I have ever done a proper lunar orbit rendezvous mission profile with either the Mun or Moon. Always used direct ascent. So I thought, why not do the real thing?

Here's the first part, RO/RSS recreation of Apollo 4. I always simulate/test my more complicated rockets with a mission that doesn't do anything that requires too much effort (like planning manouvers) and see if the staging and systems work. Apollo 4 seemed like the perfect mission to imitate and test my approximation of Saturn V.

I will try to recreate Apollo 14 once I work out some issues with the craft, mainly related to how the lunar module is housed and how it tends to go all wibbily wobbly in time warp.

AMAZING!

It takes a lot of skill to pull something off like that it RSS (You must have a rlly good computer too, mine crashes whenever I load big craft in RSS........).

Just to let you know, you need to post both of your entries in the same post ^_^

It would be one of the later ones because it had a rover for 2 kerbals and a.l.s.e.p. Technically it`s a mix of a few different missions. It has the retrorockets based on earlier missions but has the rover and a.l.s.e.p from the later missions. The closest I would say is 14 so I`ll go with that.

17 hours ago, XpertKerbalKSP said:

AMAZING!

It takes a lot of skill to pull something off like that it RSS (You must have a rlly good computer too, mine crashes whenever I load big craft in RSS........).

Just to let you know, you need to post both of your entries in the same post ^_^

Thanks! Added the second part (Apollo 14). Finally managed to iron out the issues with the craft. Spent way too much time figuring out I had some earlier prototype versions of J-2 engines with ~15% lower thrust - I just couldn't get it to orbit reliably. How I managed to do that on the Apollo 4 I will never know... Anyway, after swapping to the correct engines it was easy enough to fly.

I think RSS has a bit of a reputation but it's not that much more difficult than Kerbol. The Saturn V I used which was mostly constructed out of ready RO parts had enormous margins. Almost every stage had 200-500 m/s leftover delta-v. I can share the craft file if there is interest - just beware it needs a ton of mods. I think module manager reported 15k patches. :P

Edited by Teutooni

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.