Apollo Program Recreation [1.0.5]

Did somebody say Apollo Program Recreation?!

I know, this is lazy because I just copy stuff from an old thread of mine, but how about this? I spent some time with recreating Apollo. ;) Although I changed the names. The Surveyor programm was added because...well...why not?

Edited by Xeldrak

On 3/6/2016 at 2:21 PM, Teutooni said:

I don't think I have ever done a proper lunar orbit rendezvous mission profile with either the Mun or Moon. Always used direct ascent. So I thought, why not do the real thing?

Here's the first part, RO/RSS recreation of Apollo 4. I always simulate/test my more complicated rockets with a mission that doesn't do anything that requires too much effort (like planning manouvers) and see if the staging and systems work. Apollo 4 seemed like the perfect mission to imitate and test my approximation of Saturn V.

I will try to recreate Apollo 14 once I work out some issues with the craft, mainly related to how the lunar module is housed and how it tends to go all wibbily wobbly in time warp.

EDIT:

And here's the promised Apollo 14! Direct link.

Well, congrats! You're one of the first to complete the challenge! Time for the rating... dun dun DUUUUN.

Presentation: 4/5

I can tell that you thought very carefully about the camera angles and screenshot timings! Also, very long imagur albums for both of your entries!

Effort: 5/5

I don't know why I'd give you a 4/5, all of that I can tell took a lot of time to make! Especially with RSS.

Accuracy: 4.5/5

I was looking through wikipedia and checking your entries at the same time. And to be honest, I'm really impressed (which is why I gave you a 5 for effort :P)! There are some things here and there that didn't match up exactly, but don't worry, because all of the timing to land in the right ocean at the right time, etc. is quite unpredictable.

Overall: 5/5

I did some math ((4+4.5+5)/3) and that gave you a score of 4.5/5, but I don't know why I should give you that so I gave you a 5 instead! Some amazing stuff right there!

Congratulations, mate! Also, thanks for putting so much time into this. It's more than I can ask for! :D

I might be lazy and do apollo 1.

I would also love to see someone do the joint mission where Apollo 18 was replaced with the station and was a joint mission with russia.

Edited by BowWhalley

On 3/4/2016 at 10:13 AM, Kokanee said:

First part of Apollo 10 mission: 

Second part of Apollo 10 mission

Annnnnnnnnd my Apollo 13 mission!

Hi, mate! Sorry for the late reply. I was checking through for completed entries and didn't notice that you've already finished the Apollo 13 so, sorry. Well, let's get to the point. TIME FOR THE RATING!

Presentation: 4/5

In the thread description, I said that I'd love it if you did it Nassault-style, and you did it! There are a few things that could enhance the movie even further, like fade in/out transitions for some scenes or Kerbal voices. But other than that, Great job!

Effort: 4/5

These are some very well put together movie clips! Nice choice of music too! Also, I like the Apollo 13 O2 tank "explosion". Clever how you used the monoprop engine as an O2 leak effect (it was the O-10, wasn't it?).

Accuracy: 3.5/5

You did a good job at portraying what happened in each of the missions :) . However, there are one or two things that took a while to understand (eg, at first, I thought that the O2 leak effect was a monoprop engine burn).

Overall: 3.75/5

To be honest, I'm impressed at your video-work skills! 3.75 isn't a bad score at all, so don't worry! You did a great job on all of the movies.

Last but not least, thanks for contributing and hope you have a fun time in KSP!

12 hours ago, XpertKerbalKSP said:

Congratulations, mate! Also, thanks for putting so much time into this. It's more than I can ask for! :D

Cheers mate! Honestly this is something I have been wanting to do for a while, this challenge provided the push to just go and do it. So thank you for hosting the thread!

I am actually planning to do a followup mission imitating what the Constellation program lunar landing might look like - this time entirely in IVA/Map view (some external cosmetic shots). Possibly in video format. No promises though. :P

Edited by Teutooni

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.