Stay Low, Go Long

Hi Guys,

I've set up another challenge.

The challenge is to stay as low as possible for as long as possible using only the standard parts and the Long Wing Gravity Bomb mod.

Scores will be calculated by the simple formula:

score = (total time (in seconds) x ground distance covered ) – Highest Altitude³

Your flight time must be more than 1 min 30 seconds.

Take a look here for the rules and how to enter.

http://www.kerbalspaceprogram.net/comp-2-stay-low-long

Thanks.

Haha, nice website! Taking the Kerbal Space Program domain, replace .com with .net and take Kerbal Space Repository's design and layout.

Nicely done :)

Are you okay with this Victor? Personally, I find it rather lame that this guy would try to ride on the coattails of your work.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

Are you okay with this Victor? Personally, I find it rather lame that this guy would try to ride on the coattails of your work.

Arrr!

Capt'n Skunky

I can't really do something. If he want's to copy something go ahead, I can't stop it.

We at the Kerbal Space Repository will always do it better anyways ;)

I can't really do something. If he want's to copy something go ahead, I can't stop it.

We at the Kerbal Space Repository will always do it better anyways ;)

I'm not getting into an argument but I will protect my own corner.

Domain kerbalspacerepository.com

Date Registered: 2011-7-19

Domain name: KERBALSPACEPROGRAM.NET

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.

Record last updated on 15-Jul-2011.

So my domain was registered and the website was up 4 days before kerbalspacerepository. So you're welcome for the idea.

Would you like to apologise now?

Anyway, back to the challenge.

The score from the entries so far (thanks for trying! :) )

Nova (320 x 39515.2) = 12644864 - 18663 = -6484685032

JZavala - (376 x 44280.6) = 16649505.6 - 13973 = -2709748267.4

DoctorEvo (490 x 38872) = 19047280 - 1063 = 17856264

So DoctorEvo's flight has created the only positive score so far. Good going! I haven't even got close to that yet! :o

The score from the entries so far (thanks for trying! :) )

Nova (320 x 39515.2) = 12644864 - 18663 = -6484685032

JZavala - (376 x 44280.6) = 16649505.6 - 13973 = -2709748267.4

DoctorEvo (490 x 38872) = 19047280 - 1063 = 17856264

So DoctorEvo's flight has created the only positive score so far. Good going! I haven't even got close to that yet! :o

Heh. Here's a few helpful hints:

-Your priorities should be: 1) Don't crash, 2) Stay low, 3) Everything else. Excessive height has a big impact on your score.

-Make the first turn towards the ocean as low as possible. Once you've done that, drop down and don't go any higher than that height.

-Playing with the throttle helps a lot for controlling altitude.

-Don't rush it. Trying to 'hover' the whole way is too slow and hard to do, but flying headlong at full throttle can be hard too.

-Crashing at the end is better for your score than ballooning up for a landing.

chute failed to open early enough, it fully opened at like, 20m at most lol.

KSP2011-08-0914-51-42-18.jpg?t=1312919620

542 x 53,317.2 - 1038 = 28,896,884.4

i would think time would be a reduction as it means you didn't travel that fast. as it is, you can build an extremely slow rocket(as i did), launch and fly slowly for the first 3-5 minutes, and then you actually pick up speed afterwards and cover real distance and gain a ton of points.

I'm not getting into an argument but I will protect my own corner.

Domain kerbalspacerepository.com

Date Registered: 2011-7-19

Domain name: KERBALSPACEPROGRAM.NET

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.

Record last updated on 15-Jul-2011.

So my domain was registered and the website was up 4 days before kerbalspacerepository. So you're welcome for the idea.

Would you like to apologise now?

Anyway, back to the challenge.

Show me what your site looked like on the fifteenth, and we might withhold judgement.

I have no opinion in either direction at the moment, but I am curious.

chute failed to open early enough, it fully opened at like, 20m at most lol.

KSP2011-08-0914-51-42-18.jpg?t=1312919620

542 x 53,317.2 - 1038 = 28,896,884.4

i would think time would be a reduction as it means you didn't travel that fast. as it is, you can build an extremely slow rocket(as i did), launch and fly slowly for the first 3-5 minutes, and then you actually pick up speed afterwards and cover real distance and gain a ton of points.

That's some good going but your score is incorrect. Your height needs to be cubed 3 before it is deducted from the time x distance calculation.

So your score is actually: -1118386872.

I'm starting to think that height3 is a little too hard!

Good attempt though! Keep trying :)

Show me what your site looked like on the fifteenth, and we might withhold judgement.

I have no opinion in either direction at the moment, but I am curious.

I'm not sure how I can do that. Google's cache of my site is from the 4th and 6th August. As far as I am aware there is no installation dates/times for widgets, themes etc. on WordPress.

All I know is that I had 5 or 6 posts before the 19th, my site was indexed by Google on the 18th and that I have only changed the theme from the default to the style it is now on day 1 of installing WordPress.

They are welcome to do what they want, and I'll do what I wish to do but I don't wish for my name to be slandered because people do not know the truth. I created the site because I fell in love with this game instantly and I wanted to create a website where other users could find useful tips, mods, news and to have competitions so that a community would be created - one that I thought was friendly and creative.

But this is a competition page, so lets crack on with that.

I used different mods than in the OP, but it was fun so I figured I'd post anyways.

((6*60+40)*48323.6)-129^3 = 17,182,751. Would have gone farther, but crashed with a tank and a half of fuel. :(

Here's a pic of my plane:

3OceV.png

Mods used:

Tweaked SAS modules (the green SAS)

C7 aerospace Pack (everything else)

Obvious solution: get into orbit, leave your game running for a few days. At some point your time elapsed * distance covered will exceed your apokee altitude cubed, and then you start racking up HUGE numbers of points!

That would take forever, just getting up to a relatively low 40km orbit puts you 64,000,000,000,000 points in the hole (40,000^3). You'd need to orbit for days.

I have taken my last plane, stripped it of unnessescary parts like a parachute, and landing gear, added more fuel and created an insanely efficient plane. Again, it doesn't count because of the mods, but it's still pretty cool.

ZLVGW.png

Score: ((9*60+12)*81,960.8 )-100^3 = 44,242,361.6 points.

Mods used: C7 Aerospace Pack (dropped green SAS because it was useless, replaced with normal)

I have taken my last plane, stripped it of unnessescary parts like a parachute, and landing gear, added more fuel and created an insanely efficient plane. Again, it doesn't count because of the mods, but it's still pretty cool.

ZLVGW.png

Score: ((9*60+12)*81,960.8 )-100^3 = 44,242,361.6 points.

Mods used: C7 Aerospace Pack (dropped green SAS because it was useless, replaced with normal)

I know it doesn't count, but it's still higher than my score... so I might have to go beat it anyways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.