Pyrite

Findthepin1

There is a "field" of rocks near my house in which I frequently find pyrite (fool's gold). I go there a couple times a week. There is usually a rock with pyrite in it that I can bring home. I don't understand how it seems to replenish itself while I am gone. I can go to a place and there will be no pyrite, then I can go back a month later and there will be some. Is it actually forming on the rocks in timescales we can see or am I just missing them the first times? I have been exploring that place since like 2007 or 2010 or something, and it isn't a very big place, so I don't know how likely it is. 

Edited by Findthepin1

The top inch or so is basically all rocks, then below that it is rocks and mud. By the way, in like one minute I will be on a plane and unable to answer posts (uses Internet) so I will see you all and be able to post again in like three hours. :)

3 minutes ago, Findthepin1 said:

The top inch or so is basically all rocks, then below that it is rocks and mud. By the way, in like one minute I will be on a plane and unable to answer posts (uses Internet) so I will see you all and be able to post again in like three hours. :)

Where are you going?

Or rather, where are you now (Seeing as you'll reply to this in 3 hours)?

I find stuff in my yard quite often. Junk from the past left over from shacks and sheds from back in the logging and railroad construction days. Stuff that just seems to come out of the ground sometimes. Freeze, thaw, rain - the ground changes quite a bit over the course of a year. I suspect you may be seeing similar forces at work. The ground can heave up when it freezes, then a rain comes in warmer weather, eroding some of the looser material and uncovering new stuff.

Yeah, erosion is the most likely cause, especially seeing that the ground seems to be mostly loose gravelly rocks as you describe it. I made pyrite once in a middle school lab, it involved Bunsen burners so I highly doubt the stuff is just growing out of the ground without any volcanic activity. That does being up the question, though, what did happen to make all that pyrite? Your rock field may have some secrets to tell about what your neighborhood was like millions of years ago...

It's just normal erosion at work.  

One of my hobbies is prospecting for gold and I see this often.  Like Otis said, the freeze thaw cycle will heave rocks to the surface.  Running water will transport even giant boulders over great distances.  Many times I'll find no gold in a place, and at a later date I'll return and find some.

Gold is often found in association with iron pyrite ( Gold wears a red iron hat ) so you might want to make sure it is actually pyrite or that there isn't gold nearby.  Smash it with some pliers.  Pyrite will shatter, and gold will flatten.  You can sometimes crush and roast pyrite to get the traces of gold out, but I wouldn't recommend this.  You might have some Arsenopyrite in the mix and poison yourself with the fumes.

@Aethon If you don't mind me asking what area do you prospect? I work a small claim in the summer with my grandfather a couple of hours south of Prince George BC. Its nothing big and definitely not making money but its a nice place to go for a couple weeks away from the big city. 

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, the resource mines respawn once per month in this location, giving 1 Pyrite.
(And what is strange: every time it is the same piece of Pyrite.)

That's probably because once per month your mom cleans your room and instead of throwing it in the trash see simply throws the stupid rock out the window.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.