[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

8 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Based on what he posted, this is what I would assume he means:

And unfortunately, this is just because of the stock gimbal module I think.

Where is the really wiggly part?

At booster sep? You have a ton of drag acting on the craft, and the massive loss of thrust causes that jolt. Maybe try getting to orbit with thrust lowered a little, so drag is lower, flying at an angle that is not as steep. Do you and @Vardicd both have the gimbal angle on? Do  you have 0 payload?

Just now, Nazari1382 said:

At booster sep? You have a ton of drag acting on the craft, and the massive loss of thrust causes that jolt. Maybe try getting to orbit with thrust lowered a little, so drag is lower, flying at an angle that is not as steep. Do you and @Vardicd both have the gimbal angle on? Do  you have 0 payload?

When testing, I saw this same behavior regardless of ascent profile or cargo. Yes the gimbals were angled prior to lift off, and if vardicd is using the 4.4 craft files, then they are angled by default.  The stock gimbal module is just bad at dealing with stability assist. It always has been.

4 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

When testing, I saw this same behavior regardless of ascent profile or cargo. Yes the gimbals were angled prior to lift off, and if vardicd is using the 4.4 craft files, then they are angled by default.  The stock gimbal module is just bad at dealing with stability assist. It always has been.

Then the right method might not be stability assist. I just launched using SAS on prograde and it flew like an arrow through booster sep. Might not be good to have it on the entire time, but it is worth you all trying. The other thing that can be modified is gimbal response speed but I don't like it looking (more) silly visually.

Just now, Nazari1382 said:

Then the right method might not be stability assist. I just launched using SAS on prograde and it flew like an arrow through booster sep. Might not be good to have it on the entire time, but it is worth you all trying. The other thing that can be modified is gimbal response speed but I don't like it looking (more) silly visually.

It does fly better with the prograde vector toggled on in SAS and I actually show that in my vid. Really I think upping the gimbal response speed would just make the oscillations more violent rather than fixing it.

1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

It does fly better with the prograde vector toggled on in SAS and I actually show that in my vid. Really I think upping the gimbal response speed would just make the oscillations more violent rather than fixing it.

i thought that too, i disabled gimbal on the SRBs.

2 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

But you clicked prograde well after 1:40, what I'm seeing is giving the shuttle some tilt when you first launch and letting it do a gravity turn with prograde, it practically flies itself into orbit. I'm not seeing a playability issue.

1 minute ago, Nazari1382 said:

But you clicked prograde well after 1:40, what I'm seeing is giving the shuttle some tilt when you first launch and letting it do a gravity turn with prograde, it practically flies itself into orbit. I'm not seeing a playability issue.

Oh Im not either. Even with the wobble after SRB sep I didnt, it just requires more hands on at that point is all. Its still really easy to get to orbit and to get back.

6 hours ago, Nazari1382 said:

Can you post a complete shuttle launch video?

5 hours ago, Avalon304 said:

Based on what he posted, this is what I would assume he means:

And unfortunately, this is just because of the stock gimbal module I think.

This video is pretty much what I'm seeing, the wiggling back and forth. it's definitely possible to get to orbit, just difficult. Though in my launches the orbiter starts to pick up a roll as well after the boosters detach.

8 minutes ago, vardicd said:

This video is pretty much what I'm seeing, the wiggling back and forth. it's definitely possible to get to orbit, just difficult. Though in my launches the orbiter starts to pick up a roll as well after the boosters detach.

Are you using the newest craft files? If you arent, and youre using previous ones, go into the VAB and hit 'Show Actuation Toggles' on the main engines and toggle Roll to off.

Just now, Avalon304 said:

Are you using the newest craft files? If you arent, and youre using previous ones, go into the VAB and hit 'Show Actuation Toggles' on the main engines and toggle Roll to off.

I do have those, and yaw turned off on the engines also, with yaw turned on, controlling the shuttle is even more difficult for me.

7 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I do have those, and yaw turned off on the engines also, with yaw turned on, controlling the shuttle is even more difficult for me.

Hmmm, thats odd, it shouldnt be that difficult. How do you normally launch your shuttle?

I have a video made, will upload as soon as my roommate finishes his multi-player game, so I can steal the internet without killing his game.

side note, any idea why the bus shakes, but none of the other cars or trucks do?

4 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I have a video made, will upload as soon as my roommate finishes his multi-player game, so I can steal the internet without killing his game.

side note, any idea why the bus shakes, but none of the other cars or trucks do?

The new wheel modules are just buggy.

1 minute ago, Avalon304 said:

The new wheel modules are just buggy.

Yeah, I am unsatisfied with the way KSP changed the wheels with this newest update, was just wondering if there was something specific to the bus that made it shake, when I hadn't seen that from the other vehicles in the mod, but have seen it in some stock wheels and other mod's wheels. thanks

Just now, vardicd said:

Yeah, I am unsatisfied with the way KSP changed the wheels with this newest update, was just wondering if there was something specific to the bus that made it shake, when I hadn't seen that from the other vehicles in the mod, but have seen it in some stock wheels and other mod's wheels. thanks

Im pretty sure if you launch the firetruck or the lorry they'll shake too, the bus uses the same wheels.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.