[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

Hi All,

First off, lovely looking mod, I've not used it yet but the shuttle looks super!

Questions:

The shuttle engines - do they gimbal automatically through the centre of mass, or does that need to be manually controlled?

The two different boosters, any difference other than cosmetic?

Thanks!

44 minutes ago, BlaZe119 said:

i only have 1.1.2 not 1.1.3... so if KSO EX is released for 1.1.3

i cant play ksp with kso since it would be released for 1.1.3...

It will be released for the current version at the time it's ready. It won't be out for a long time. Several months.

14 minutes ago, p1t1o said:

Hi All,

First off, lovely looking mod, I've not used it yet but the shuttle looks super!

Questions:

The shuttle engines - do they gimbal automatically through the centre of mass, or does that need to be manually controlled?

The two different boosters, any difference other than cosmetic?

Thanks!

There is an angle adjuster that can be toggled on our engines. On top of that they will attempt to gimbal the same way the stock engines will. The boosters have different stats.

Edited by Nazari1382

4 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

i only have 1.1.2 not 1.1.3... so if KSO EX is released for 1.1.3

i cant play ksp with kso since it would be released for 1.1.3...

The KSO mod works fine with 1.1.3, as far as I have seen.

I don't know what the update has done, but everything appears to be working, although a bit less stable than normal. I occasionally get random crashes, but I counter it by quicksaving frequently. If I crash, I just load the most recent quicksave.

Also, the KSO EX is not going to be ready even in pre-alpha for a long time. They're still modeling and texturing it! Configs? HAH! That's not going to come around for a long time.

Hey, speaking about the new KSO EX, I kind of have an idea for the description. It could use some tweaking, and you'll probably see me edit this a dozen times to get all the info right.

After the resounding success of the previous two KSOS shuttles - the original KSO and the KSO EWBCL "Super 25" - which have since been retired after many years of service, Murika Superstellar Inc. is proud to present it's newest product: the KSO Extended Transporter. The KSO EX features a 2.7MX5.5M cargo bay. It sports the "moon door" docking port used by the Super 25, now with extended fuel and crew space. It is able to haul (_ tons) to orbit and bring (_tons) back to the surface. The EX uses a new single-tailed design, with two OMS shoulder pods for superior orbital maneuvering. It has been praised as the most reliable and versatile shuttle to-date.

"KSO EX: Bringing the stars within our reach"

So, there are multiple ways you guys can do this, and multiple things I can come up with. I'll have to scroll back to get all of the stats in there. This version I call the "stereotypical informercial" design. The last bit is supposed to be like one of those catchy sloagans. For example, in Subnautica, the new Exo-AHEM- P.R.A.W.N. suit has at the end of its description, "P.R.A.W.N. It's got you covered."

(no, I am not advertising subnautica)

But you can see where I am going with this. I think that you should at least mention how the last two orbiters have been retired, some stats, (perhaps the new design), and at the end a catchy slogan to give it more appeal.

You don't have to use my idea, but I'm just trying to help make your job easier by helping brainstorm descriptions and other such things. 

Edited by Raptor22
Tweaking stuff.

Perhaps when you are almost done, you could make a trailer for it.

Here's some ideas:

Start off with grainy old footage of a KSO or Super 25 launch. Make it seem all historical and nostalgic, like the clip of Neal Armstrong stepping off the ladder and saying "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Figure out some sort of transition to the new EX launching, and have clips showcasing what it can do, such as:

Deploying and capturing payloads

Docking

Orbital Maneuvering

IVA technology

End with it re-entering the atmosphere, slowly gliding to the runway and touching down, popping the drogue chute. Fade to black as it is coasting to a stop, with the music fading, and have the logo fade in, with the slogan that I was thinking about coming in just after it.

Keep in mind that these are all just suggestions, and that I'm not making you do anything. While it would be cool if you took it into consideration, you don't have to use them. I'm just trying to help you guys come up with ideas. You already got the basic idea for what the shuttle should look like, and modeling and texturing it is pretty easy once you got the idea down - if time consuming. But probably one of the hardest things is actually advertising it. Making it look pretty for screenshots and/or videos, coming up with descriptions, etc. 

I've been taking some manufacturing and design classes, and I often find that naming some of my stuff can be quite difficult, and it's hard to not just call it the "Thing-a-ma-jig ©" Since you are already working so hard modeling, texturing, and eventually making configs for these things, I thought that I may as well lend you guys a helping hand, taking off some of the load of having to brainstorm things.

4 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

The KSO mod works fine with 1.1.3, as far as I have seen.

I don't know what the update has done, but everything appears to be working, although a bit less stable than normal. I occasionally get random crashes, but I counter it by quicksaving frequently. If I crash, I just load the most recent quicksave.

Also, the KSO EX is not going to be ready even in pre-alpha for a long time. They're still modeling and texturing it! Configs? HAH! That's not going to come around for a long time.

Hey, speaking about the new KSO EX, I kind of have an idea for the description. It could use some tweaking, and you'll probably see me edit this a dozen times to get all the info right.

After the resounding success of the previous two KSOS shuttles - the original KSO and the KSO EWBCL "Super 25" - which have since been retired after many years of service, Murika Superstellar Inc. is proud to present it's newest product: the KSO Extended Transporter. The KSO EX features a 2.7MX5.5M cargo bay. It sports the "moon door" docking port used by the Super 25, now with extended fuel and crew space. It is able to haul (_ tons) to orbit and bring (_tons) back to the surface. The EX uses a new single-tailed design, with two OMS shoulder pods for superior orbital maneuvering. It has been praised as the most reliable and versatile shuttle to-date.

"KSO EX: Bringing the stars within our reach"

So, there are multiple ways you guys can do this, and multiple things I can come up with. I'll have to scroll back to get all of the stats in there. This version I call the "stereotypical informercial" design. The last bit is supposed to be like one of those catchy sloagans. For example, in Subnautica, the new Exo-AHEM- P.R.A.W.N. suit has at the end of its description, "P.R.A.W.N. It's got you covered."

(no, I am not advertising subnautica)

But you can see where I am going with this. I think that you should at least mention how the last two orbiters have been retired, some stats, (perhaps the new design), and at the end a catchy slogan to give it more appeal.

You don't have to use my idea, but I'm just trying to help make your job easier by helping brainstorm descriptions and other such things. 

4 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Perhaps when you are almost done, you could make a trailer for it.

Here's some ideas:

Start off with grainy old footage of a KSO or Super 25 launch. Make it seem all historical and nostalgic, like the clip of Neal Armstrong stepping off the ladder and saying "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

Figure out some sort of transition to the new EX launching, and have clips showcasing what it can do, such as:

Deploying and capturing payloads

Docking

Orbital Maneuvering

IVA technology

End with it re-entering the atmosphere, slowly gliding to the runway and touching down, popping the drogue chute. Fade to black as it is coasting to a stop, with the music fading, and have the logo fade in, with the slogan that I was thinking about coming in just after it.

Keep in mind that these are all just suggestions, and that I'm not making you do anything. While it would be cool if you took it into consideration, you don't have to use them. I'm just trying to help you guys come up with ideas. You already got the basic idea for what the shuttle should look like, and modeling and texturing it is pretty easy once you got the idea down - if time consuming. But probably one of the hardest things is actually advertising it. Making it look pretty for screenshots and/or videos, coming up with descriptions, etc. 

I've been taking some manufacturing and design classes, and I often find that naming some of my stuff can be quite difficult, and it's hard to not just call it the "Thing-a-ma-jig ©" Since you are already working so hard modeling, texturing, and eventually making configs for these things, I thought that I may as well lend you guys a helping hand, taking off some of the load of having to brainstorm things.

It would probably surprise you to know that many of the preliminary descriptions and preliminary names for the EX parts are already done. As for your other suggestions, I know youre excited... but the EX is so far off at this current time... that it would be jumping the gun a bit.

And I know you are excited, but you should really try to refrain from double posting if at all possible.

Hello everyone!  First off I just want to say that this mod is a work of art.  It's one of my favorites and I've been using it since the original release.

I used to be able to land the shuttle no problem, but now I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip on how to get through the atmosphere.  On re-entry I'm never able to keep the pitch of the shuttle high enough to let the ablation surfaces on the bottom absorb the heat.  I loose my ailerons, then my wings, then the nose-cone... then I revert to a save and try again.  

What is the proper re-entry procedure in terms of heat management???

Again, thanks so much for this mod! I'll turn heat damage off if it means the difference, but I want to be legit!

1 hour ago, TheAdmiralty said:

Hello everyone!  First off I just want to say that this mod is a work of art.  It's one of my favorites and I've been using it since the original release.

I used to be able to land the shuttle no problem, but now I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip on how to get through the atmosphere.  On re-entry I'm never able to keep the pitch of the shuttle high enough to let the ablation surfaces on the bottom absorb the heat.  I loose my ailerons, then my wings, then the nose-cone... then I revert to a save and try again.  

Again, thanks so much for this mod! I'll turn heat damage off if it means the difference, but I want to be legit!

Well the shuttle has no actual ablation surfaces on it, the heat tiles are just a texture, and weve used config values to attmept to give the shuttle good heat dissapation.

How high are you reentering from? Ive found just flying nose first if entering from a 100km AP (or lower) works fine. Higher than that, will be mainly trial an error, as Im not able to test every possible reentry vector, but once you find what works, it should always work (barring KSP being a dumb and not simulating things the same each time).

59 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Well the shuttle has no actual ablation surfaces on it, the heat tiles are just a texture, and weve used config values to attmept to give the shuttle good heat dissapation.

How high are you reentering from? Ive found just flying nose first if entering from a 100km AP (or lower) works fine. Higher than that, will be mainly trial an error, as Im not able to test every possible reentry vector, but once you find what works, it should always work (barring KSP being a dumb and not simulating things the same each time).

I can attest to the nose first method. I actually managed to land the Super 25 almost perfectly while barely touching the controls this way!

11 hours ago, TheAdmiralty said:

I recommend a more shallow reentry, meaning enter the atmosphere earlier relative to ksc, and let it it take longer to slow you down. Your orbit path should appear to end out in the ocean once you do your reentry burn. In my experience keeping the nose up works, and will keep the heat bars from growing much.

Edited by Nazari1382

10 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

I cant land the little fellow either just burns up must be a real technique  to doing this closest i get is 24000 and the tailfins burn off 

just dont move the shuttle while in reentry 

also what is the little fellow?

Cant wait for the EX too, the previous ones look superb :wink:

Whole mod really nice job

Btw, anyone has a craft file with a sample station using those parts ?

PS: One thing i noticed, you dont use tags in cfg files and those parts have different manufacturers, hence very hard to have an overview what is actually included in this mod - for people with multiple part packs this is really a pain :wink:

10 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I cant land the little fellow either just burns up must be a real technique  to doing this closest i get is 24000 and the tailfins burn off 

You can use these MM Configs to improve reentry with these shuttles (adapted from DRE):

KSO Dauntless:

Spoiler

@PART[omskso]:Final
{
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinThermalMassModifier = 0.436
    skinInternalConductionMult = 0.0000105
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
    @MODULE[ModuleEngines]
    {
        @heatProduction = 150
    }

}

@PART[avionicskso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 3000
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[tailrudderkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[KSO_Cabin]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
    !MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]{}
    !RESOURCE[AblativeShielding]{}
}

@PART[cgholdkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[rearkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[leftwingkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[rightwingkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[noseconekso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[nosegearkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[rightgearkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[leftgearkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[rearplanekso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

@PART[leftelevkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}
@PART[rightelevkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815
}

KSO_25 (The big one):

Spoiler

@PART[super25rudderkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}
@PART[KSO25_Cabin]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    !RESOURCE[Ablator]{}
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoBay
        DeployModuleIndex = 2
        closedPosition = 0
        lookupRadius = 5
        nodeInnerForeID = bay01
        nodeInnerAftID = bay02
    }
}

@PART[super25wingLkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25wingRkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    %emissiveConstant = 0.85
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25nosekso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 3000
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25nosegearkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25maingearRkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25maingearLkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25tailkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

@PART[super25surfaceLkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}
@PART[super25surfaceRkso]:Final
{
    @maxTemp = 850
    skinMaxTemp = 2706
    skinMassPerArea = 0.815

}

As usual, I take no responsibility/liability for using these.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.