[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

Yesterday I tried to fly helicopter with FAR and it's damn hard. It just spin out of control. Had anyone a successful experience with it?

With stock aero it flies perfectly fine (if you have enough reaction wheel momentum)

Yeah the Kerbostar is hard even with stock physics. It's just weird to control. With some practice, you could get it.

You know, there are autopilot sytems that have auto-landings for planes (mechjeb's space plane guidance sucks, but I believe I saw a mod that does something similar, but better), but none that can work for helicopters. If you put a probe core facing upwards underneath it, I guess you could use Mechjeb's landing autopilot, but it isn't really good for that type of landing. It's really meant for a suicide burn (but often does what the name entails, miscalculating and smashing you into the ground.

Honestly, I wish someone could make a better autopilot for space (emphasis on SPACE) planes. Mechjeb's autopilot only sort of works for regular, atmospheric aircraft. But, as with any other mechjeb tool used with space planes, you have to kill autopilot and assume manual control. I only use it to help align my trajectory, then I make other burns to fine-tune it. 

So, if anyone who wants to/is/can make a space plane autopilot mod, please do so.

Also, @helldiver, what's your progress with the EX? Anything worthy of releasing development pictures.

18 minutes ago, Raptor22 said:

You know, there are autopilot sytems that have auto-landings for planes (mechjeb's space plane guidance sucks, but I believe I saw a mod that does something similar, but better), but none that can work for helicopters. If you put a probe core facing upwards underneath it, I guess you could use Mechjeb's landing autopilot, but it isn't really good for that type of landing. It's really meant for a suicide burn (but often does what the name entails, miscalculating and smashing you into the ground.

Honestly, I wish someone could make a better autopilot for space (emphasis on SPACE) planes. Mechjeb's autopilot only sort of works for regular, atmospheric aircraft. But, as with any other mechjeb tool used with space planes, you have to kill autopilot and assume manual control. I only use it to help align my trajectory, then I make other burns to fine-tune it. 

So, if anyone who wants to/is/can make a space plane autopilot mod, please do so.

Also, @helldiver, what's your progress with the EX? Anything worthy of releasing development pictures.

TCA's supposed to have decent VTOL support although I've not tried it yet. Also Crzyrndm's Pilot Assistant mod, while not a full autopilot, is pretty invaluable for planes.

6 hours ago, baldamundo said:

TCA's supposed to have decent VTOL support although I've not tried it yet. Also Crzyrndm's Pilot Assistant mod, while not a full autopilot, is pretty invaluable for planes.

TCA is incredi-good--but only for a craft that flies on balanced engine thrust. Other autopilots will have to assist with shuttle landing, etc.

Helldiver,  Avalon, Nazari, & Angel-125 (& the rest of the Team of Modders) I just want to say thank you for Creating, Updating, & Playing KSO, it's in my Top 3 Must Have KSP Mods.

While I never have been able to Fly either KSO & KSO Super 25, I still Love the Mods.

I'm sadden to hear the up coming retirement of KSO & KSO Super 25 however I'm more excite about the upcoming launch of the KSOEX, than I was on Apirl 12, 1981 :wink:.

Helldiver, if you need names for KSOEX, may I suggest the Name(s)  "Freedom or Freedom II" :).

5 hours ago, callumrooney98 said:

im using mechjeb2, the space shuttle osculates and cant hold a pitch angle.

This occurs during launch? Or after SRB sep? Or when youre just flying the shuttle itself in orbit?

Otherwise, my advice would be to fly the KSO with the stock SAS, using the 'prograde' command, during launch launch the KSO will pretty much fly itself to orbit that way. In orbit Ive seen none of the issues you describe.

EDIT: As a follow up, I launched, with MechJeb and performed orbital operations with MechJeb today, and the KSO flew like a champ under MechJeb control, even at launch. Flew perfectly, even after SRB sep where I had been seeing oscillations under stock stability assist... so I really dont know what youre experiencing, but it cant be a result of either MechJeb or the KSO shuttle. Will be testing the Super 25 shortly, but I dont really see that having issues either...

Edited by Avalon304

13 hours ago, Turk_WLF said:

Helldiver,  Avalon, Nazari, & Angel-125 (& the rest of the Team of Modders) I just want to say thank you for Creating, Updating, & Playing KSO, it's in my Top 3 Must Have KSP Mods.

While I never have been able to Fly either KSO & KSO Super 25, I still Love the Mods.

I'm sadden to hear the up coming retirement of KSO & KSO Super 25 however I'm more excite about the upcoming launch of the KSOEX, than I was on Apirl 12, 1981 :wink:.

Helldiver, if you need names for KSOEX, may I suggest the Name(s)  "Freedom or Freedom II" :).

is freedom or freedom ii a reference to the movie armageddon?

the names of the 2 space shuttles were called freedom and independence

the movie is very cool (because it's made by MICHEAL BAY)

Edited by BlaZe119

@BlaZe119

No it’s not reference to the movie “Armageddon”.  It is in reference to a very cool series/stories (KSO based Missions) that Angel-125 done shortly after KSO was originally released. You can see the texture map that Angel-125 did for the “Freedom” here…

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/132755-113-kso-kerbin-shuttle-orbiter-legacy-packs-development-updates/&do=findComment&comment=2532793

On 8/3/2016 at 8:40 AM, Avalon304 said:

This occurs during launch? Or after SRB sep? Or when youre just flying the shuttle itself in orbit?

Otherwise, my advice would be to fly the KSO with the stock SAS, using the 'prograde' command, during launch launch the KSO will pretty much fly itself to orbit that way. In orbit Ive seen none of the issues you describe.

EDIT: As a follow up, I launched, with MechJeb and performed orbital operations with MechJeb today, and the KSO flew like a champ under MechJeb control, even at launch. Flew perfectly, even after SRB sep where I had been seeing oscillations under stock stability assist... so I really dont know what youre experiencing, but it cant be a result of either MechJeb or the KSO shuttle. Will be testing the Super 25 shortly, but I dont really see that having issues either...

I cant launch it either using MJ oscillates and wobbles and wont pitch up, so i would be interested in how you launch it I am using MJ version #632

20 hours ago, Virtualgenius said:

I cant launch it either using MJ oscillates and wobbles and wont pitch up, so i would be interested in how you launch it I am using MJ version #632

I activate ascent guidance (100km AP), and stage until my craft is leaving the pad. And then Im hands off until the SRBs need separation. It picks up a bit of oscillation after SRB sep, but nothing flight ending. I reach a full circular orbit with more than enough fuel in the ET, at which point I jettison the ET and start orbital operations. Its 3AM right now, but I'll try to put together a video of both a MechJeb and non-MechJeb launch tomorrow sometime.

EDIT: I didnt forget about the video guys. I have it recorded and edited, but I dont want to tie up my internet uploading it, so it'll probably be around tomorrow.

Edited by Avalon304

I'm in the same boat as Rooney.  Seems since game went 1.0 that mechjeb just stopped working nicely with the KSO.  Used to be buttah to launch and recover for me but now (for some time actually) I am unable to use MJ at all with the shuttle.

if you have a screen cap of your MJ settings, they would be appreciated.

for reference, I am using nothing but the latest KSO packs and dependencies and MJ, nothing else installed.  I'm as clean as I can be for the sake of troubleshooting.

Avalon are you going to put up your "tutorial"?

Just a point of interest.  I swear that MJ is rolling everything oddly from launch onwards.  I do not have the roll and heading bug checked in MJ, all craft seem to go up at a45 degree roll angle.

22 hours ago, LawnDartLeo said:

Avalon are you going to put up your "tutorial"?

Just a point of interest.  I swear that MJ is rolling everything oddly from launch onwards.  I do not have the roll and heading bug checked in MJ, all craft seem to go up at a45 degree roll angle.

Yea, I need to get it uploaded, life has been a bit busy recently. If I can remmber to do it tonight, it'll be up tomorrow.

On 8/3/2016 at 2:23 AM, BlaZe119 said:

is freedom or freedom ii a reference to the movie armageddon?

the names of the 2 space shuttles were called freedom and independence

the movie is very cool (because it's made by MICHEAL BAY)

Uh, actually the Freedom texture was just a custom texture for a story I did called the KSOS Mission Chronicles. I'm not a developer of the KSO mod, that credit goes to @helldiver and crew. :)

Thanks for the video it helped alot there is no way mine flies like that ,could you tell me what your ascent path settings are set to. I am using a different version of mechjeb from his dev thread #632. Just before LRB's seperate it noses over almost horizontal and the ejection force is very violent  I set the decouplers  at 10 be interested to hear if anyone else is having this issue.

20 minutes ago, Virtualgenius said:

Thanks for the video it helped alot there is no way mine flies like that ,could you tell me what your ascent path settings are set to. I am using a different version of mechjeb from his dev thread #632. Just before LRB's seperate it noses over almost horizontal and the ejection force is very violent  I set the decouplers  at 10 be interested to hear if anyone else is having this issue.

By ascent path I assume you mean the curve? If so its default, I never mess with it. If it isnt a setting listed in the caption, then its off or default. You can see the ascent guidance window behind the caption too.

My other piece of advice... dont use dev builds on normal gameplay saves... but Im going to give build 632 a try, and see if something has changed.

EDIT: Ran a launch with MechJeb 2.5.8 build 632 using the exact craft from the video. If I hadnt been the one running it, it would have looked nearly identical to the above video.

Can you provide me a list of all your mods? Because there is something else causing the issues youre seeing.

Edited by Avalon304

Well I have reset all my mechjeb settings and its flying a lot better it wont fly the default curve but i think if I adjust the power on the shuttle's main engines it should follow the curve thanks for all your help I will post any tweaks. Also the dev versions have a lot of fixes in them that's why I use them.

Edited by Virtualgenius

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.