[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

12 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

We all mourn the losses of Jeb, Bob, and Pablo.  I would start by leaving your vertical control surfaces undeployed, I think this contributed to the side slip.  The engine block mount has an airbrake which is tied to an action group.  The wing flaps are also tied to action groups, but my experience is they are not as effective in 1.1.3 as they were in past versions, I am not totally sure why.

The KSO download also has a PDF which contains deorbiting instructions.  Making your burn near or before the mountains at that desert you mentioned at 24:25, disable Tragectories (trust me), and have your periapsis drop so that it is in the ocean near that Korean Peninsula looking landmass.  There are some good map view screenshots in the PDF describing this.  

It took me several iterations of the KSO Resolute (the one you flew here) to even get it to land on solid ground.  Sometimes I have to use the 2 OMS and the central SSME to get the thing under some kind of control on the way down.  If you do make it to solid ground (runway if you are lucky), be prepared for the Jeb does a crazy spin out as the shuttle comes to a stop.....  (broken wheels bug prevalent in 1.1.3)

Will look into it, thank you

48 minutes ago, Grunf911 said:

Will look into it, thank you

You're welcome.  Your videos are fun to watch.

Also, if you are bringing back a payload of any kind with the smaller orbiter, an earlier deorbit burn works best for me.  Keeping a 5-15 degree pitch on the nav ball helps with some of the reentry heating.... at least for me.

@Avalon304 also posted a tutorial video, mostly regarding integration of Mechjeb, but it is useful nonetheless for flight tips.

Hope that helps!  Happy testing

Edited by smotheredrun
Because I said so!

On 11/4/2016 at 3:33 AM, Grunf911 said:

I have a 1.1.3 question:

In this re-entry

*snip*

... around 26:20 minute mark, the shuttle blows due to overheating, but how is that possible.

My angle was very shallow (apoapsis 74k, periapsis 41k), and i was trying to bleed of as much energy as possible early on, and if you observe, you will notice that the cabin just before it blew was not even hot, and then it got hot in 1 second. Did any of you have such issue ?

If not, can anyone show me the correct re-entry with KSO orbiter I would really be grateful

Hey, Grunf. Love the vids.

Looking at the reentry, it actually was going pretty well, until you caught that sideslip right before the explosion. The main cause of the explosion was the sideslip itself, when the orbiters tail slipped out it exposed a greater surface area of the cockpit to the heating effects, and this simultaneously took parts of the orbiter out of the heat, meanign the heat was more concentrated, and it couldnt take it. (The Resolute is actually pretty capable of spreading and radiating heat, but only if the heat is spread out. Up until that point the orbiter was actually keeping relatively cool). The cause of the sideslip, was unfortunately, your use of FAR, which is currently unsupported.. We did have users write some patches at one point, but it was very long ago, and Im not sure if they would be relevant now.

Hi Avalon304, thx for the detailed analysis. I had my suspicions as one of my commenters mentioned that KSO did not support FAR, which is a damn shame. I guess I will have to remove it from save then to prevent further accidents. If you learn of any patch to support FAR please let me know and I will gladly re-add the mod as i do like it a lot

16 hours ago, Grunf911 said:

Hi Avalon304, thx for the detailed analysis. I had my suspicions as one of my commenters mentioned that KSO did not support FAR, which is a damn shame. I guess I will have to remove it from save then to prevent further accidents. If you learn of any patch to support FAR please let me know and I will gladly re-add the mod as i do like it a lot

I will keep on the look out, but we generally rely on users of those mods to provide patches for them, as I dont think any of the team use FAR.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the mission patch files?  All I could find was the Phase I patch, way back in the OP of the old thread, but I know someone made patches for the station and the EWBCL.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

On 11/9/2016 at 2:35 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have the mission patch files?  All I could find was the Phase I patch, way back in the OP of the old thread, but I know someone made patches for the station and the EWBCL.

hmm i dont know

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Launches are a little bit wonky, but it's flyable, and AFAIK, there's noting the KSO team can do about the wonky launches right now.  My best recommendation is to not use Mechjeb's Ascent Guidance, that seems to increase the wonkyness.

One more Question, do Station part's work ok?

3 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

is there an issue tracker? I found quite a number of issues when I was updating the Dauntless, especially with the modcompat patches. The USI-LS patch is especially in need of a makeover.

Yeah, I wasn't the greatest at MM patches when I submitted that before the last release.  This one in particular has more issues than the other ones I submitted to other mods.  Sorry, folks!

1 minute ago, panarchist said:

Yeah, I wasn't the greatest at MM patches when I submitted that before the last release.  This one in particular has more issues than the other ones I submitted to other mods.  Sorry, folks!

I didn't want to name names - I know you to be usually spot on with your patches.:wink:

The CLS patch was fine if memory serves, although it doesn't hit the dauntless, which would be nice (it has some docking modules and the cockpit; I added it to the cargo bay just 'cuz, but your call). If you want I can send you my rewrites later (tomorrow most likely), but I doubt you really need them.

Also, does the front landing wheel on the dauntless work for everyone? In my endeavors to update I seem to have broken it...:huh:

3 hours ago, dtoxic said:

One more Question, do Station part's work ok?

yeah, the interact range for taking data from the greenlab is too low, but that's an easy fix, and I noticed that with the new limited range of motion for kerbal's POV in IVAs you can't always see the light switches, but otherwise they work fine.

Anyone know a fix for KerbalLab part? every time i right click on it this comes up. Also tried replacing the modules with Default one's fom Squads science lab, doesent seem to do the trick.

Spoiler

[EXC 17:59:13.498] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ModuleScienceLab.updateModuleUI ()
    ModuleScienceLab.onPartActionUI (.Part p)
    EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    EventData`1:Fire(Part)
    UIPartActionWindow:CreatePartList(Boolean)
    UIPartActionWindow:UpdateWindow()
    UIPartActionController:UpdateActiveWindows()
    UIPartActionController:UpdateEditor()
    UIPartActionController:Update()
[ERR 17:59:13.507] Exception handling event onPartActionUICreate in class ModuleScienceLab:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at ModuleScienceLab.updateModuleUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at ModuleScienceLab.onPartActionUI (.Part p) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Edited by dtoxic

23 minutes ago, DStaal said:

I asked about the KerbalLab a while back and didn't get an answer.  I got the feeling station parts aren't high priority.

I think there might be a problem with "containerModuleIndex = 0" testing now will let you know

EDIT: I just can;t seem to get it to work no matter what i do :(

Edited by dtoxic

2 hours ago, dtoxic said:

I think there might be a problem with "containerModuleIndex = 0" testing now will let you know

EDIT: I just can;t seem to get it to work no matter what i do :(

Try this - it's untested, but should update the lab to 1.2.1. As an aside, this lab is kind of bad (IMO). Double the ElectricCharge costs for only 250 more data storage? Granted, it's mass is incredibly low, but, eh...

//KerbalLab
@PART[KSO_KerbaLab]:NEEDS[KSO]
{

@MODULE[ModuleScienceConverter]
	{
    %dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
	}

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleKerbNetAccess
    MinimumFoV = 17
    MaximumFoV = 63
    AnomalyDetection = 0
    DISPLAY_MODES
    {
      Mode = Terrain
      Mode = Biome
    }
    REQUIRED_EFFECTS
    {
      Effect = ScienceSkill
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleExperienceManagement
    costPerKerbal = 0
  }

}

45 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

Try this - it's untested, but should update the lab to 1.2.1. As an aside, this lab is kind of bad (IMO). Double the ElectricCharge costs for only 250 more data storage? Granted, it's mass is incredibly low, but, eh...

//KerbalLab
@PART[KSO_KerbaLab]:NEEDS[KSO]
{

@MODULE[ModuleScienceConverter]
	{
    %dataProcessingMultiplier = 0.5 // Multiplier to data processing rate and therefore science rate
	}

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleKerbNetAccess
    MinimumFoV = 17
    MaximumFoV = 63
    AnomalyDetection = 0
    DISPLAY_MODES
    {
      Mode = Terrain
      Mode = Biome
    }
    REQUIRED_EFFECTS
    {
      Effect = ScienceSkill
    }
  }

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleExperienceManagement
    costPerKerbal = 0
  }

}

Thx Man i appreciate it! :)

1 hour ago, dtoxic said:

Kinda, don't know for sure i changed containerModuleIndex = 0  to = 2 that and the patch seems to have fixed it

it should be 3 actually. The index is a count of the MODULE nodes, starting at  #0 at the top of the part config, going down. The containermoduleindex is referring to which position in the order the ModuleScienceContainer is at, in this case it's 3, iirc. If it doesn't find a science container in that position, it throws an error.

13 minutes ago, Deimos Rast said:

it should be 3 actually. The index is a count of the MODULE nodes, starting at  #0 at the top of the part config, going down. The containermoduleindex is referring to which position in the order the ModuleScienceContainer is at, in this case it's 3, iirc. If it doesn't find a science container in that position, it throws an error.

yeah i figured that out later, but i removed some modules/rearranged some modules so in my moded cfg it's 2 now :D  sorry should have clarified that!

On 11/10/2016 at 8:36 PM, Capt. Hunt said:

Launches are a little bit wonky, but it's flyable, and AFAIK, there's noting the KSO team can do about the wonky launches right now.  My best recommendation is to not use Mechjeb's Ascent Guidance, that seems to increase the wonkyness.

I concur with @Capt. Hunt.  Mechjeb Ascent Guidance will make it an interesting ride.  I only use mechjeb for the data readouts anyways.

I found (using the Dauntless/Resolute/KSO Mini Shuttle) that having the booster gimbals turned off helps keep the oscillations to a minimum at the start of the launch.  Turning them back on 3/4 ish of the way through their fuel seems to help keep the shuttle pointed closer to the 20-30 degree pitch, instead of the flat 90-95 degree pitch it seems to flop to at booster burn out.

Someone asked about the nose wheel if it works.... I don't know so far.. only made one landing (on land) so far in career and stalled (30-40 m/s seems to do that) it during the landing.... Broke the left wing off and then rolled for a few hundred meters.... rendering the use of wheels unnecessary.  The wing flaps do not seem to add lift.  I think this has also been mentioned earlier on.

Edited by smotheredrun
Because I forgot stuff

Actually I've since unbroken the wheel, and now have in my hands a 1.2.1 compliant Dauntless, with all the shiny new baubles.

Problem is...I'm a horrible test pilot.

I've put it through a half dozen flights (and even a landing, very rare for me!), mainly tweaking the thermal values (which I've adjusted to bring in line with stock).

Oh, regarding the wing flaps: they were dummy animations that did nothing. I corrected that and made them airbrakes (although I'm wondering if they should be additional control surfaces instead). I also restored the other two airbrakes (engine mount and tail plane).

I also entirely removed the Firespitter dependency, in case anyone cares about such things.

I also redid some of the patches, since most didn't apply to the Dauntless anyway.

The central problem I'm having is whether or not it's me that's failing or my autopilot (don't judge me). My autopilot (GravityTurn) seems to get confused after separation of the liquid fueled boosters, and I usually have to switch to manual, which means I usually get to play another round of "how not to get to space today."

I'm wondering if there are any experienced shuttle pilots out there who would be willing to put her through her paces for a flight or two. I mainly care about take offs and landings (there is an included txt file of other things to test if you're feeling ambitious).

If that sounds like something you'd be interested in, let me know (a PM would probably be best), and I'll shoot you a download link.

:)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.