[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic mod, but I seem to be having an issue with frame rate when flying the KSO, FPS with an average craft is around 30 on the surface and 50 in orbit. In the KSO its around 15-20, which is obviously horrible. Heres my specs

CPU: Intel Core i5-3340 @ 3.1GHz
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 FTW w/ ACX 2.0
PSU: Corsair CX750w PSU
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Drive(s): 2 1TB HDDs

You should temporarily shift your focus from the EX and make a patch! Things have changed, and it doesn't work as well any more. The aerodynamics need tweaking for the new model. The gear needs updating (BTW, the firespitter landing spotlight module is glitchy. Just change it to a regular landing light module.)

I tried fooling at with the configs, but I couldn't get it to work.

At minimum, I ask that you make a patch for the wheels and add comms to both shuttles. I would recommend having a 500K transmitter, as attaching antennas to the side of the shuttle looks ugly. You can probably base it off of the stock configs. I made a patch for the Boxsat mod's antennas. 

I'll continue to work with the configs. If I can get something to work, could I email it to one of you (Avalon, Helldiver, or Nazari) so that you can take a look and hopefully post it? 

10 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

You should temporarily shift your focus from the EX and make a patch! Things have changed, and it doesn't work as well any more. The aerodynamics need tweaking for the new model. The gear needs updating (BTW, the firespitter landing spotlight module is glitchy. Just change it to a regular landing light module.)

I tried fooling at with the configs, but I couldn't get it to work.

At minimum, I ask that you make a patch for the wheels and add comms to both shuttles. I would recommend having a 500K transmitter, as attaching antennas to the side of the shuttle looks ugly. You can probably base it off of the stock configs. I made a patch for the Boxsat mod's antennas. 

I'll continue to work with the configs. If I can get something to work, could I email it to one of you (Avalon, Helldiver, or Nazari) so that you can take a look and hopefully post it? 

@Capt. Hunt, @Deimos Rast and myself were testing both orbiters.  So far with the tweaks made by Deimos, they both are controllable in either manual or with autopilots however, using complex things like rendezvous autopilots will be "interesting" due to the thrust on any shuttle being offset from the control point.  My experience so far has been to use manual piloting at all aspects of shuttle flight.  Others have used Gravity Turn and had that work well though....

I believe with the Dauntless/Resolute I have found an issue with the wing's control surface (the one that is part of each wing), but I am still looking for the source.  Also with the Dauntless/Resolute, I made a change with the booster placement on the ET to try and mitigate the crazy oscillations that sometimes occur upon lauch... with mixed results so far... (I very much love the ejection mod that is being maintained/updated by @linuxgurugamer and @SpannerMonkey(smce):)

I'll check, but I think one of the changes made to the Dauntless/Resolute was the addition of an antenna to the flight computer part (placed in the nosecone) - not a long range one or science transmitter, but it allows for unmanned operation. I usually throw a low tech antenna on the top of the flight deck part.

The last version of the Super 25 I flew seemed to fly very well - I am looking into a couple things with it though - namely the boosters.

I can say that so far, the station parts seem to work flawlessly, both in a clean install and my heavily modded career save.  The KerbalLab, which had issues in the past I believe, also appears to work.  The small square truss docking ports work (they never worked for me in 1.0.5 for me...)

So, I do have a few more things I want to look at when I have some time before I would say either orbiter are 100% ready for 1.2.x.  I just got my schedule for the next month and a bit, and free time will tend to be at the wee hours of the morning... good thing I have been a night owl for my whole life :)

Finally, I passed on our testing info and tweaks to @Nazari1382, and he said he would look at them.  I will admit though, I am having trouble finding a recording program that doesn't eat my laptop for breakfast, so the vids I promised him are still "on the way".

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

Finally! Looks like some progress is under way!

Another thing to report is that the Super25's wheels have traction control problems. It often slides down small hills unless I mess with the brake power sliders. 

*Gene Kerman suggests avoiding landing on hills

Well, sure. But it still shows that there's a traction control issue.

It happened when I had to make an emergency landing. I had an unplanned reentry, which resulted in a rapid unplanned disassembly of my space station. :mad:

8 hours ago, ErevanGaming said:

Hi everybody =)

Just want to ask if the Space Station parts pack is compatible with 1.2.2? =">

Regards and thanks in advance.

Please check through the last few pages.  The answers are there. But I'm in a good mood so,

The station parts do work.  You'll need to make a small change to the SST to make the RCS arms work properly.

Other than that, they all work.

4 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

Please check through the last few pages.  The answers are there. But I'm in a good mood so,

The station parts do work.  You'll need to make a small change to the SST to make the RCS arms work properly.

Other than that, they all work.

Thanks for pointing that out and sure enough I found it ="> was using the search function with 1.2.2 as a keyword =D

On 2/10/2017 at 9:43 AM, ErevanGaming said:

Hi everybody =)

Has anyone started a custom MM config for USI-LS for the KSO space station pack? =">

Regards and thanks in advance.

you are talking about Umbra Space Industries Life Support, right?

Edited by BlaZe119

9 hours ago, NISSKEPCSIM said:

Cool mod! Could anyone suggest which shuttle might be the best, in terms of cargo space, fuel supply, framerate, etc? Looking forward to checking out those station parts!

That sort of depends on what you want to do....  The Dauntless (AKA Mini) Orbiter will take practically all of the KSO Station Parts to orbit.  It can also launch other small "things" (Satellites, maybe a small lander or something), up to about 2 maybe 3 tonnes.  The Super 25 can carry everything in the Station Parts to orbit.  It's payload is I think somewhere around 10-12 tonnes, so you can use your imagination...

On 2/11/2017 at 9:59 PM, smotheredrun said:

I can confirm that in the 3 downloads from Spacedock (Dauntless Orbiter, Station Parts, Super 25) each of them has a USI - Life Support config.  It is in the KSO/Configs folder in each of them

It's outdated, though, and doesn't incorporate RoverDude's latest rebalancing - unless @Deimos Rast has submitted one to replace the one I wrote.  Also, there were parts of it that never worked 100% correctly - it was one of the first MM patches I did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.