[1.1.3] KSO (Kerbin Shuttle Orbiter) Legacy Packs & Development Updates

Nazari1382

So I'm thinking about getting back into KSP and I wanted to see if this mod was compatible in 1.3. Shame it isn't quite there yet, as this was one of my favorite mods from way back when. At least it's good to know that it's being worked on still.

Well, best of luck to the current Devs. :D

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

Yeah, I'm excited about the KSO EX, I'll be able to lift heavier payloads with the shuttle!

I hate to burst your bubble, but helldiver hasn't been on the forums for about a year now. I doubt that the EX will ever be introduced.

4 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

I hate to burst your bubble, but helldiver hasn't been on the forums for about a year now. I doubt that the EX will ever be introduced.

Well, the last dev message (not sure if smotheredurun is a dev though) was August 7th saying that the big hunt was almost done and some other stuff.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 1:47 AM, BlaZe119 said:

Well, the last dev message (not sure if smotheredurun is a dev though) was August 7th saying that the big hunt was almost done and some other stuff.

That statement was for the MM patches to correct the flaws with the shuttles and to update the configs to 1.3 standards. Smotheredrun isn't an official dev for KSO. He's just been rallying support to update KSO without totally violating the license. The only official dev is helldiver. Nazari1382 is the maintainer of the license until helldiver returns. Since neither of them have allowed anyone to at least do an update pass on the configs or the models, it's my opinion, that they are more than willing to let this wonderful mod die, much like the fabled Bobcat mods.

I do apologize for the bluntness, I haven't been asleep yet and can't think of a better way to word my response.

7 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

That statement was for the MM patches to correct the flaws with the shuttles and to update the configs to 1.3 standards. Smotheredrun isn't an official dev for KSO. He's just been rallying support to update KSO without totally violating the license. The only official dev is helldiver. Nazari1382 is the maintainer of the license until helldiver returns. Since neither of them have allowed anyone to at least do an update pass on the configs or the models, it's my opinion, that they are more than willing to let this wonderful mod die, much like the fabled Bobcat mods.

I do apologize for the bluntness, I haven't been asleep yet and can't think of a better way to word my response.

Well yeah, this mod will probably die.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Unfortunately. :( With the upcoming release of 1.4, who knows if the part models will still be viable. We'll have to see when that day comes. 

If it's like most updates, most part-only mods should be fine.  I am still using some parts mods last updated for 1.05 with success.

Many of the dll mods will be fine, but some will require a reocompile.

A few mods will require more in-depth updates.

Unfortunately, those mods are among the ones we tend to rely on...

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

If it's like most updates, most part-only mods should be fine.  I am still using some parts mods last updated for 1.05 with success.

Many of the dll mods will be fine, but some will require a reocompile.

A few mods will require more in-depth updates.

Unfortunately, those mods are among the ones we tend to rely on...

Hence my comment about waiting to see when 1.4 is released. The 1.4 update is an Unity update. With an engine update, things can change. I doubt the part mods will be broken, but you never know. Between .90 and 1.3.1 there have been some changes required for the part models, which haven't been done with all the KSO parts. (Check out the police sedan, and rover to see one change that was never implemented. Hint: It has to do with the kerbals and colliders.) It's one thing if the configs are messed up, that's easy to correct. (Which is the current situation for KSO.) It's a complete different problem when the mu's fall too far out of date. The models may load, but they may be useless in the game.

As with all DLL mods, that would be dependent on what changes Squad has to do with the APIs. But you're correct, it will take time to update them. Sucky week or two of playing without MJ, KER, or whatever mods you use.

1 hour ago, Raptor22 said:

Welp, this mod is dead. It's been a year and a half since the last update, and there has been no significant progress (that we've seen). There's been 1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3, and 1.3.1, and soon 1.4.

Let's face the grim truth.

Under whose authority? :wink:

2 hours ago, Raptor22 said:

Welp, this mod is dead. It's been a year and a half since the last update, and there has been no significant progress (that we've seen). There's been 1.2, 1.2.2, 1.3, and 1.3.1, and soon 1.4.

Let's face the grim truth.

It's not dead, there are people working on it. It's just taking a very long time.

Not sure if this is a feature of the mod or if its stock, but if you click on the hatches of the KSO Space Station Parts it switches the view to the next module if you have another module.

I was able to go from the observatory, to the habitat then to a Mk1-2 Command Pod even if there was no one in the habitat or command pod

Edited by BlaZe119

20 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

It's not dead, there are people working on it. It's just taking a very long time.

Yes, it's taking a very long time. That's the problem. By the time that they might have finally made an update that's compatible with 1.3, 1.5 will be out, and they'll have to re-start. They're working slower than squad is putting out major updates.

17 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

Not sure if this is a feature of the mod or if its stock, but if you click on the hatches of the KSO Space Station Parts it switches the view to the next module if you have another module.

I was able to go from the observatory, to the habitat then to a Mk1-2 Command Pod even if there was no one in the habitat or command pod

That's unusual, did any kerbals hitch a ride up with the parts? KSP won't let you do iva without any kerbals in the part.

8 hours ago, BlaZe119 said:

The current version of the mod creates random lags spikes which is annoying (I know the KSO EX will use less memory)

I've haven't noticed any lag spikes with this. But again, my pc isn't the greatest in the world either.

@smotheredrun I haven't looked at KSO in a long time, I understand that there are some issues with it in KSP 1.3? Was the landing gear issue ever sorted? Regarding COM issues on the Super 25, could you do something like:

CoMOffset = 0,-.6,0
    CoPOffset = 0.0, -0.4, 0.0 //drag force offset, should be ahead of center of mass

to offset the center of mass on the affected parts? Those numbers are from the Brumby command pod in MOLE, and you'd probably need to tweak them for the shuttle. Just wondering if that would alleviate the problems you're seeing.

Edited by Angel-125

Holy cow!  It has been a while since I've checked this thread or even logged in other than to randomly like something in other threads.  I had thought doing night shifts during the week would allow me more time during the day to do KSP related fun stuff, but.... nope!  Apparently (I willfully ignored this fact when I was younger?) working night shift doing carpentry is very different than doing gigs, i.e. less adrenaline.  That translates to falling asleep as soon as I get home from work.  :(  I love doing door hardware and finishing carpentry, don't get me wrong, but the only bit of adrenaline I get from it lately was when my cordless drill caught fire (well... started to smoke/smoulder like an Industrial Revolution factory smoke stack) while drilling some holes in some plywood.  Said adrenaline rush was quite small though as I took the smouldering drill outside the mall concourse and set it on the curb, walked the 300 ft to our storage suite in the mall and walked back with our fire extinguisher, a bucket, a broom and dustpan (concerned much?).  One shot into each of the 3 sides of the motor casing later and my excitement was over.  Who says night shift is boring right? :)  3 hours of paperwork (yay overtime!) and I got to go sleep.

Ok, to answer a couple questions:

@BlaZe119 : nope, not a KSO dev.  @shdwlrd is correct in their description of my role.  Also, I have zero knowledge of the EX other than what was written in the 0.90 thread and the early pages of this thread.

@Angel-125:  landing gear and COM offsets in 1.3:  erm.. I am so out of touch with KSP, but if memory serves, @shdwlrd did a whole bunch of tweaking with offsets and such with a tonne of parts.  

I keep telling everyone I'm "going to test 'x' this week/weekend" and well, it does happen a bit, but not enough.  Work (2 careers) and family are always getting a bigger slice of my time pie lately. 

@panarchist has joined in testing and helping with the fantastic efforts of @shdwlrd in getting the KSO updated.  It looks like we're all having difficulty finding the free time/drive to get this mod up to date, but it's getting there.  

Edited by smotheredrun

For anyone who is wanting to use the shuttles in game, I think it is time that you get a chance to try the community patch and provide your feedback. I have used this version of the patch to successfully launch and land both shuttles. Keeping the Super 25 and the station parts easily useable for people is my priority. The original shuttle (Dauntless) had flaws that were addressed by Helldiver designing the second shuttle. I understand people will still try to use the Dauntless, but it should be considered a legacy version of KSO.

If you are eager to see this mod updated, test the shuttles with this community patch and provide feedback. It is very easy to install: First install the mod from the OP, then place the GameData and Ships folders included in this patch in your KSP directory. You will have patch configs and new craft files for both shuttles.

Download KSO community patch

Thanks shdwrld, smotheredrun, and panarchist for your work on these patches.

On 12/4/2017 at 7:36 AM, Nazari1382 said:

For anyone who is wanting to use the shuttles in game, I think it is time that you get a chance to try the community patch and provide your feedback. I have used this version of the patch to successfully launch and land both shuttles. Keeping the Super 25 and the station parts easily useable for people is my priority. The original shuttle (Dauntless) had flaws that were addressed by Helldiver designing the second shuttle. I understand people will still try to use the Dauntless, but it should be considered a legacy version of KSO.

If you are eager to see this mod updated, test the shuttles with this community patch and provide feedback. It is very easy to install: First install the mod from the OP, then place the GameData and Ships folders included in this patch in your KSP directory. You will have patch configs and new craft files for both shuttles.

Download KSO community patch

Thanks shdwrld, smotheredrun, and panarchist for your work on these patches.

Just launching the KSO Block 10 and it seems like I'm getting lag spikes more frequently.

EDIT: Lagging stops when I'm in orbit.

Edited by BlaZe119

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.